Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my SS is sitting in Newark, NJ after being unloaded in low 20 degree temperatures Friday. As I type this it is 21 and going down to 9 tonight and tomorrow will be a carbon copy. It has not yet been qc'd and my latest update is to check "in a couple days."

This brings forward a concern about the summer only tires. Per Bulletin #04-03-10-013 found here: Tire Cold Weather Cracking

"If temperatures drop below 20°F (−7°C), GM recommends avoiding driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high performance summer-only tires as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires."

"If the tires have been subjected to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they have been installed."

Well we all know they already have been and will be driven contrary to what this bulletin says both in Newark and Yokohama.

Moral of the story ... if your car is in Newark, when it arrives at your dealer carefully inspect the tires for cold weather cracking damage before taking delivery and leaving the dealership. If they are cracked, do not drive it home. Your warranty replacement and your life may depend on it!

· Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
Well, my SS is sitting in Newark, NJ after being unloaded in low 20 degree temperatures Friday. As I type this it is 21 and going down to 9 tonight and tomorrow will be a carbon copy. It has not yet been qc'd and my latest update is to check "in a couple days."

This brings forward a concern about the summer only tires. Per Bulletin #04-03-10-013 found here: Tire Cold Weather Cracking

"If temperatures drop below 20°F (−7°C), GM recommends avoiding driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high performance summer-only tires as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires."

"If the tires have been subjected to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they have been installed."

Well we all know they already have been and will be driven contrary to what this bulletin says both in Newark and Yokohama.

Moral of the story ... if your car is in Newark, when it arrives at your dealer carefully inspect the tires for cold weather cracking damage before taking delivery and leaving the dealership. If they are cracked, do not drive it home. Your warranty replacement and your life may depend on it!
Good to know regardless of our location. Thanks for the heads-up!

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hey CB, I know while they where in Yokohama for over three weeks, our cars endured several snow storms with temps around high teens and low twenties. Being overly anxious to get my car home, I have not inspected the tires yet. Will do right away!!! And I've got 370 miles on them. I wonder if any cracking would be outwardly noticeable or would it possibly be internal, like between the plies???

Reactions: z51vett

· Banned
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey CB, I know while they where in Yokohama for over three weeks, our cars endured several snow storms with temps around high teens and low twenties. Being overly anxious to get my car home, I have not inspected the tires yet. Will do right away!!! And I've got 370 miles on them. I wonder if any cracking would be outwardly noticeable or would it possibly be internal, like between the plies???
click on the link the bulletin shows the cracking it is external and would be quite visible.

· Registered
613 Posts
wow!

Reactions: z51vett

· Premium Member
459 Posts
Hey y'all,

I wanted to clarify some information from that bulletin as there are portions of it that are not shown. I reviewed the bulletin in its entirety and there is a section devoted specifically to the 2014 Chevrolet SS. It states:

“The 2014 SS is equipped with Bridgestone ultra-high performance summer tires.
This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable
Winter Tires be fitted below this temperature.”

In this section cracking is not listed as a concern for the SS tire. Other vehicles are listed with the direct concerns related to their specific tires.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I hope that I put some of your minds at ease.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
My local tire shop let me and their manager inspect my tires yesterday. No problems found. So, I think as our representatives from Chevy Customer Care said, we have little to worry about. I feel all warm and fuzzy again!!!! Now, where is that clean, dry pavement??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.