Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Yep I have been disappointed in every Vette interior I have owned. They should look to Audi on how to do interiors that are tasteful but not overkill. You can see the influence in Kia now that ex Audi engineers/designers work there. Audi overall, has lost their way lately however .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not trying to be an apologist for GM and why they do things but I was also somewhat disappointed in the interior materials quality when I bought my 2001 C5 Corvette but I put it down to priorities...the priority of putting more into the powertrain and handling...when I visited the factory on the tour, I thought it clean and the workers appeared happy...

Bill

·
Registered
635 Posts
An optioned up ZR1 is almost a $150K and I've heard people complain that for that kind of money, the interior is a full-of-plastic joke. Sure, no one buys a ZR1 for the interior niceties, but still, for that kind of money it should be top shelf. I sure hope the new mid-engine Vette does better than that, cause I don't see it starting for much less than the base ZR1 ($123K). But we shall see. Would be cool if Zora Duntov was still alive because a mid-engine Vette was his dream decades ago. Plus, I knew him and his wife back in Detroit. Saying they were super cool people is an understatement. Incredibly kind and friendly. Anyway, let's just hope the new Vette is a winner. We shall see...
I met Zora once and he was a Very Nice Guy!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yup... and Porsche. Check out the interior quality in a Boxster or Cayman - same price range as entry level C7... the weight and thunk of the glovebox door, the motion and detents of the wiper lever, the movement of the air vents, no free play in anything anywhere, the surface feel of the plastic parts, etc etc etc. I am a Corvette fan and I hope it's good, much better than C7.
I think you would be referring to the 1st Generation Boxster/Caymam, as they had crap interiors as did the corresponding 911 (996). But things have changed.

and by the way the top end Boxster/Cayman are over $100,000!!!:blink:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think you would be referring to the 1st Generation Boxster/Caymam, as they had crap interiors as did the corresponding 911 (996). But things have changed.

and by the way the top end Boxster/Cayman are over $100,000!!!:blink:

No, I was referring to current 718 ones as good examples of high quality interior in sports cars in the same price range as C7. Starting prices are similar and top prices are similar.
My wife has a late second generation (2010) Boxster and the quality of that interior (and pretty much everything else) is quite amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
.....every time I get my hopes up, CT5, CT6-Blackwing, no replacement SS, Camaro refresh, etc. etc., GM let's me down. I know there's more coming down the pipeline, but darn if I know what. I read the other day that GM is in third place in the pickup division now too because the Silverado is a dud, as is the Camaro. Makes me a bit angry because they have everything they need to build some great cars/trucks, from chassis to engines. Where's Harley Earl when you need him? It's almost like they've resigned themselves to accepting mediocrity as the norm. Look up what they're aiming towards with their 4 chassis plan (VSS-Vehicle Set Strategy) over the next few years. Their goal is to go from 26 different chassis to having one chassis for all front wheel drive SUV's & CUV's, one for all front wheel drive cars, one for rear wheel drive trucks, and one for rear wheel drive cars (which is last and why there's the delay for the next gen Camaro). So tell me how the performance cars are supposed to ride on a generic chassis. I just hope I'm missing something because it seems like all GM cares about is reducing costs rather than growing sales through exciting new products AND reducing costs. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur and need to accept that the general public just isn't as enthusiastic about cars as I am.

GM Vehicle Sets Platform Info, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority
Well stated--I've been intending to respond--here's another angle that brings into question the path both Ford & GM seem to be on, relevant or not.

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/hyundai-could-be-track-enter-nascar?utm_source=racing-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190710&utm_content=article7-readmore

(quote)
"....Hyundai is solidly dedicated to cars, even though other manufacturers have been abandoning them for trucks and SUVs, although Hyundai’s very strong sales in June, which was a down month for almost everyone else, were tied largely to SUVs. Still, commenting on Ford and Chevrolet’s decision to drop most of their sedans and coupes: “It is a very big mistake,” Schemera said. What would Hyundai race? Possibly the Sonata, or any of several Genesis models."

So, who is this guy "Schemera"? (from the same Autoweek article)

Thomas Schemera, who is the head of global product strategy and design for Hyundai and Kia. He joined the company in March 2018 as head of Hyundai’s high-performance vehicle and Motorsports division and was promoted to his current position eight months later.

Schemera was the third high-ranking BMW executive to jump to Hyundai, following Albert Biermann in 2015, then Fayez Abdul Rahman. Biermann was essentially in charge of BMW’s M division, which built the company’s most powerful models, such as the M3 and M5. Rahman was in charge of BMW’s M sport packaging.

And Schemera, a 31-year BMW veteran, was the head of the BMW M group in America. Those three, under the leadership of Biermann, who has been promoted to the head of all of Hyundai and Kia’s research and development, and along with the hiring of Bugatti designer Alexander Selipanov, will give the Korean giant a massive push toward doing something that has never been done before: Giving Hyundai and Kia a genuine performance and motorsports presence.

Question: in GM speak, is there a defined "High Performance Vehicle and Motorsports Division", and what are it's goals? GM has not answered the call when it came to Cruze (now dead) vs Focus (ST/RT) or Civic, Crossover, as in Traverse/Equinox/Blazer vs (2020) Explorer ST (400 HP RWD!), or even Silverado vs Raptor. GM is happy to sell accessories that are mainly cosmetic, with very few performance options--dealer add-ons rather than built that way from the assembly plant.

So there it is....and it almost appears that an organization like NASCAR, whether they can be considered relevant or not, is looking ahead to be ready if or when GM or Ford decides it is no longer viable financially, "green" politically, or otherwise in their interest to race--if they haven't already. NASCAR is somehow going to ensure starting fields are not 100% Toyota.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
While my previous post is more or less "off topic", it is an illustration of the path GM has been following since it's "rebirth" as an LLC, in that "too big to fail" financial boondoggle perpetrated on the industry in the 07/08 time period. And "follow" is the key word. GM has apparently lost the will to lead. The various caretaker management heads, until now, were not even car people, for the most part....sadly. Amazing the risk being taken with C8, under the circumstances.

C8 is a sea-change, no question, and whether it pays off, in the end, is a fair question to ponder. After 65+ years of continuous production of a RWD "sports car", C8 is a significant departure, and it will change the perception of the vehicle as "attainable" for many enthusiasts, in the near-term, at least. I wonder...has Ralph Nader seen the car and started his sequel to "Unsafe At Any Speed"??? (of course there have been other GM mid/rear engine cars since Corvair--Fiero, anyone?)

Not a knock on GMAD Bowling Green--there has been MAJOR investment in the expansion of that location, but not clear if it's all about C8. How much of that can be dedicated to the need to achieve higher perceived quality and/or refinement of various parts of the new vehicle? The assembly plant really isn't where this (design decisions) happens, and so many things that a GMAD has no control of are going to dictate the results...a dash/instrument panel, or seats, or interior door panels today are installed as complete units (or part of a larger assembly), either assembled off-site or in a sub-assembly area away from the main production line.

Fingers crossed--not much else we can do. If it's not well-received, I certainly hope there is a plan that might allow Corvette survival, even if it was to return to a conventional configuration, or perhaps AWD, as a means of justification for engine placement...it would probably mean some sort of hybrid drive system, if not totally electric. Future of Corvette will probably be known soon, depending on how well C8 fits in the market.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Yes GM has returned to its old self it went in hiding but has slowly creep back in. We are GM they will buy it because we are GM we can crap all over buyers there will be another along in 5 minute attitude see it creeping back into dealers as well with all the hook and crook advertising. GM will give you x amount of dollars off if you fianance with them at say 6% that's about 2% above other folks so they get there discount back. God I hate all the razz mataz.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wonder...has Ralph Nader seen the car and started his sequel to "Unsafe At Any Speed"??? (of course there have been other GM mid/rear engine cars since Corvair--Fiero, anyone?)
Hahaha... with electronic stability control you can make the car as stable as you want (up to available grip), and if the algorithm makes you run out of grip and you hit something due to induced terminal understeer it is then the driver's fault, not the car's... so long as you hit it moving forward...
Porsche has been able to sell many 911's under Ralph's nose with overhung rear engines, of course for the last ~25 years also relying on electronic stability control...
I'm not even sure Ralph is aware of the C8 or its engine configuration (or much else) at this stage...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Was just checking emails and came across these two articles about the new mid-engine Corvette. One shows the new steering wheel and the other talks about a new twin-turbo engine. Seems like no more supercharger...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/heres-the-mid-engine-corvette-c8-steering-wheel/

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/twin-turbo-v8-lt7-engine-for-c8-corvette-z06-leaks/

Enjoy

Edit: just saw another email which talks about how the Vette being revealed on the 18th will be the Stingray and it talks about its engine.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/mid-engine-2020-corvette-c8-will-debut-as-stingray/

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interesting, twin-turbo DOHC V8. Getting too complicated for my tastes.

I don't mind the DOHC. More spinning camshafts but no "rattling" pushrods or rockers. It can have the same torque and sound and feel even better than OHV and scream further up the rev range. They finally have the packaging height for DOHC with the mid engine layout.
The turbos I'm not fond off at all due to the nonlinear throttle response and the heat, but... "That's the way of the world"... Efficiency and emissions...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts