Chevy SS Forum banner

Contemplating selling, brought back down to Earth.

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  JayJ 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
Happy New Year, long time owner, very infrequent poster. The SS has spoiled me, thinking about taking advantage of my car's residual value and move into a smaller form factor sports sedan but with a comparable trim level and performance, looks like I'll need to spend close to $80-90K+ which attest to the tremendous value proposition this car is. Mine is a 2016 Chevy SS, 6MT, SLIHRM, sun roof, full size spare, 28K miles, excellent condition, non modded. Maybe, I should just keep it and drive the wheels off it?

#3 ·
And the winner is....

$8k upgrade. Supercharger.
Been thinking the same - either commit to a big upgrade & have some more fun with the SS, or start a new project.

Reality says do the blower - the SS is a hard act to follow!

Reactions: RoushSenator
#6 ·
I came real close to getting a CT6 Platinum Blackwing when my local dealer had a fresh one on the showroom floor ... my price $80K - $20K less than sticker.

Just like when I had the opportunity to reserve a CT6-V ... I passed ... I was told by my "friends in the know" to avoid it like the Plague. Glad I did with all the issues/recalls/popping motors !!!

They are sweet; but the service/parts availability is way worse than the SS. Truly a shame because they are so, so sweet.

Had I did it I would have kept the SS; I am still feeling stupid for not keeping my '14 when I got the '17.

I see nothing less than $100K to replace the SS with. I'm glad I listened to my one special "friend in the know" to not order one of the last CTS-V Sportwagons off the line and wait for the SS ....

#8 ·
If we were to take a non-emotional strategy, it would be to pair the stellar resale of the SS with the big discounts on the Stinger, and swap to a brand new car at no cost with a long warranty that bears near identical measurements on paper versus one that's 5 years old. Although the SS could well appreciate in value further whereas the Stinger is unlikely to. This strategy would make more sense if the car was a daily driver and racking up miles and wear and tear, as opposed to a fair weather toy.

However that would entail giving up the LS3, and in your case the manual transmission. So I vote drive it til the wheels fall off which is likely going to take a very long time at your rate of use. As you noted any other new V8 sedan out there is going to be pushing 80k and up and probably be preceded by an M or AMG, or the yet to be divulged CT5 Blackwing if it ever actually shows up.

Reactions: JayJ and Drone
#9 ·
Interestingly enough, I am not wanting for more HP because frankly to a point added performance is unusable unless your racing. From a logical standpoint, it makes no damn sense to get rid of the SS, I'm retired so I don't drive like I used to and with Covid you can't go anywhere right now. However, having said that I am a form and function person where the vehicle needs to perform well and look good doing so, now the Chevy in my mind is a handsome vehicle, but I'm looking at an Alfa Romeo Giulia QF in competition red that is really pulling at my heart strings, beautiful styling, smaller form factor, great handling, giving up the 6 MT but getting more horsepower 505 vs 415 and slightly lighter weight, but the reliability and depreciation are major impediments. I had a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo with a persistent electrical gremlin and I vowed I would never own another Ford again. So, logically, at this point in my journey, I should consider myself blessed for having the ownership experience that I've had with the Chevy.

#12 ·
Well, I had to get it out of my system.
Yesterday, I took a brief test drive in a 2020 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio in MonteCarlo blue with yellow calipers.

Vehicle Impressions The car looks great on videos and in pictures, in the flesh, frankly I was a little underwhelmed. The paint color is beautiful in bright sun shine and overall is a handsome, good looking car, but I wasn't wowed either. My GF found that the car looked like a Honda Civic and wasn't wowed in any way with either the interior or exterior. She felt the car was small, (which it is compared to our 2016 Chevy SS) and sat low which it does. She felt that I would be paying more for less car. the interior's okay, but not opulent by any means. The back seat is tight, advertised as a 5 person car but in reality a 4 person and a midget for the middle back seat.The rear seats fold down and it has a cargo pass through, 13 cu feet. Has a lot of carbon fiber bits, trunk, roof, rear deck lid, rocker panels, carbon fiber drive shaft, weighs about 300 lbs lighter then the Chevy. The trunk lid hinges are large hoops vs the articulated hinges and gas shocks in the Chevy. (Frankly, that was really disappointing for the $). Doors had a nice solid thunk to them. Seats, supportive, firm, leather and alcantara, very aggressive side bolsters that hug you mid torso. Good visibility, switch gears okay. No sun roof, some driving assistive aids, adaptive cruise control.

Road test impressions, Fairly quiet when driving, nice exhaust note. Adaptive sport suspension, firm but compliant in normal mode, however, the exhaust doesn't open up completely until it's in race mode at which time, all the nannie controls are off. The car feels planted, lower CG then the Chevy, the steering is tighter, more sensitive and direct then the Chevy. The car feels shrink wrapped around the driver. The acceleration in normal mode at highway speeds was good, got on it briefly and the car just wants to fly. Never used any of the other driving modes nor the large paddle shifters in manual mode. You can really get into trouble quickly, if you're not careful. 505 vs 415Hp.

In conclusion:the Alfa is a driver's car, first and foremost. If you want the handling and performance, styling, exclusivity and dealing with it's myriad service issues, it's a great car and probably worth it for you. The Chevy in my opinion, is more versatile, better equipped, well rounded and excellent performing for a large car. The suspension in performance mode doesn't feel as tight as the Alfa in normal mode and it carries it's weight a little higher up. The steeering isn't as good as the Alfa's but overall, it's an excellent performing car and a tremendous value. Just wanted to share this experience.

#13 ·
Still regret trading 2004 GTO manual. Took daughter's 2019 Encore in for oil change before Christmas. 2021 Encore GX Preferred on showroom floor stickered for $32K?

Never selling Alchemy SS six-stick!

#14 ·
Well caddy CT5v Blackwing has LT 4 corvette supercharged engine 640 hp first 500 are reserved whatever that means. I might reduce fleet to one car and the Blackwing might be my go to car but at what price16 Z06 Vett had 18000 miles 17 SS 41000 miles both have extended warranties

#17 ·
keep it, these cars will be crazy money decades from now, where everyone will lust over one of the last analog ICE sports sedans.

Reactions: good2go and z51vett
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.