Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from my commute today, around 5 miles from the house I could hear a clatter/tick noise over the radio and the road noise.

Its a constant sound, and increases with rpm. At Idle, its almost slower than the revolutions of the engine. So perhaps 60-160 events at 600rpm, perhaps even less. I intend to pull the valve cover when Its not piping hot. Oil smelt burnt and kept clinging to the side of the dipstick so I can't accurately read the oil level.

Anyone with a similar issue? What should I be looking for when the valve cover is off?

Thanks in advance,

Jet

·
Registered
236 Posts
More details, such as mileage, and mods. Did it suddenly start? Was there some kind of over rev before hand?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2014 Auto, I did pass someone on the way home so I kicked up the revs to about 4-5k but not WOT. Its got 86,000 miles on it. I've put 11,000 on it since I purchased it a couple months back.

No mods, no tunes. She's my daily.

No telling if it happened "immediately" but it for sure began on this ride home. Quiet when i started, then I noticed it clattering once I got closer to home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just took the valve cover off. Closest rocker arm to the front of the car, on the driver's side, is loose. With enough play between it and the push-rod that I could jiggle it. Lifter or rocker arm bearing?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it sounds slower than the engine RPM, it might be a valvetrain issue since the cam spins at half the engine RPM. I would start be checking the rocker trunnions since they're known to fail.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
Just took the valve cover off. Closest rocker arm to the front of the car, on the driver's side, is loose. With enough play between it and the push-rod that I could jiggle it. Lifter or rocker arm bearing?
What about whats on the other end of that lifter he asks cautiously ???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rocker arms will have a little movement when not compressing. The others will feel more solid because they're on the load side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jet,

Any chance you could post a video of the noise

·
Registered
713 Posts
did it spit out the bearings from the rocker? Is the spring in one piece? Is the rod straight and ends undamaged? Pull the rocker and one next to it, compare the lifter to the others where the rod sits (maybe collapsed). Hopefully didn't eat a cam lobe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What about whats on the other end of that lifter he asks cautiously ???
Thankfully the spring is intact, was the first thing I checked even though the car sounded much different when it ate a spring. Good suggestion though, unless of course you mean the cam, which I would be worried and there is little I can do. Hopefully not!

The needle bearings are all in place! I have video of the play in the rocker arm. Gonna go read up some more on the lifter preload before I start taking rockers off, dont want to take them off without knowing how to set the preload!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thankfully the spring is intact, was the first thing I checked even though the car sounded much different when it ate a spring. Good suggestion though, unless of course you mean the cam, which I would be worried and there is little I can do. Hopefully not!

The needle bearings are all in place! I have video of the play in the rocker arm. Gonna go read up some more on the lifter preload before I start taking rockers off, dont want to take them off without knowing how to set the preload!

You have a serious problem. Just pull rocker. You can't set preload as it's determined and set by the pushrod length. If the rocker and pushrod and valve are good, I'm afraid you're going to have to pull the cam or head to see what is wrong. You may be abe to get away with measuring lobe lift if you have the measuring tools to see how that one compares to a good one.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts

well a little history would be appropriate.

I did mean cam.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well a little history would be appropriate.

I did mean cam.
Valve spring failure, and replacement of intake and cylinder head gaskets. That's about all.

After taking the rocker off I pulled out the pushrod, or at least half of it. The push rod is in two pieces, maybe more, and the push rod tunnel has been damaged. I reckon that I should pull the heads, take account of the damage.

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
Valve spring failure, and replacement of intake and cylinder head gaskets. That's about all.

After taking the rocker off I pulled out the pushrod, or at least half of it. The push rod is in two pieces, maybe more, and the push rod tunnel has been damaged. I reckon that I should pull the heads, take account of the damage.
How long ago?

Who did it?

Details, details, details ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long ago?

Who did it?

Details, details, details ....

Previous owner, I remember it from the carfax report. Unfortunately, I cannot bring the vehicle service history up, but I would reckon it was about a year ago when the valve spring let go, and they changed the gaskets. Not much else other than those.

year?: 2014
Trans?: A6
mods?: None.
miles?: 86,000
battery age?: Approx a year
accident(s)?: None.
Flood?: Nope.
total rebuilt wreck? Nope.
anything plugged in anywhere? Not sure what you mean.
use it everyday? Yep.
warranty? Nope.
original owner, 2nd, 3rd ??? 2nd owner
past problems? Valve spring. Cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gasket was replaced when the valve spring was.
Repair history ???? See above
location? Central Florida.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, Here is a picture of the snapped push rod.

The side of the push rod tunnel has a gash roughly half-way down, should I remove the cylinder head to inspect? Or is it non-critical damage? I'm game for an engine top-end tear down, but I would like my Daily to be on the road sooner than later.

I'm suspecting that the rod wouldn't just snap without cause, Is there any way to depress the valve? I would only do so to ensure that the intake valve hasn't gotten caught on its seat.

Furthermore, the push rod has shiny friction marks along its edges, perhaps it has been slightly bent for a while and finally reached a breaking point? I dunno, just spouting stuff at this point,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I would check compression before pulling heads.
It is quite possible that the lifter pumped up, not common. due the fact that the car has logged previous valvetrain issue I would go through components. the original length for pushrod is 7.4". odds are the rockers not tightened properly. To check geometry you tube is your friend!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Okay, Here is a picture of the snapped push rod.

The side of the push rod tunnel has a gash roughly half-way down, should I remove the cylinder head to inspect? Or is it non-critical damage? I'm game for an engine top-end tear down, but I would like my Daily to be on the road sooner than later.

I'm suspecting that the rod wouldn't just snap without cause, Is there any way to depress the valve? I would only do so to ensure that the intake valve hasn't gotten caught on its seat.

Furthermore, the push rod has shiny friction marks along its edges, perhaps it has been slightly bent for a while and finally reached a breaking point? I dunno, just spouting stuff at this point,
I wonder if it's the same rod that was on the broken spring? I think I would get a new rod or two, install and turn it over by hand and see how it goes. Also, turn it over to make damn sure the lifter is moving first, preferably down when it should. Maybe you got lucky (well, sorta) and it is just the rod.

Checking the compression is a good idea first too, to be sure the valve isn't bent. Is it intake or exhaust? If intake you will have to do a leak down test. Is the stem up like the rest? Meaning the valve isn't at least stuck way open?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts