Chevy SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts
Any more feedback on install and any post install issues for this radiator? Possible option to replace mine that, per the dealer, has failed at 14,000 miles. Current price on the Cold Case rad is still a couple hundred dollars less than they dealer wants for an OEM one.

I get that failure of the OEM plasticity one happens, but I’m somewhat suspicious though given they just serviced the radiator in April and I have had no evidence of a leak until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, for those that have installed the cold case (or other new radiator) in the SS, how hard is this, any special tools, etc? I assume I need to pull the front clip bit I can’t find anything online specific to the SS as a reference.

I have no problem doing this myself but want to have an idea what I am getting into. Thanks in advance.

I don't think you need to pull the front clip. At least for a manual anyways...If you can get to the bolts for the AC condenser and tranny cooler, you should be able to do it fairly easily

Car is down and Cold Case is not being real clear on availability (“shooting for mid-July” sounds to me a lot like “September maybe”) so I may have to just go with OEM.

Are there any other better alternatives anyone is aware of that might be more available?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My understanding,, is that they are a small operation and produce these in small lot production runs! Likely when there may be a few orders to fill, they gear up!! FWIW,,, they sell every one of them they build,, and they are also the same basic unit as the one for the G8, so those orders likely factor in to the production schedules too!!

No Matter,, I plan to put one on the shelf this year for myself,,, and one for my sons G8 too!! I am pretty sure the quality is worth the wait!!! These will/should be pretty bulletproof and good for,,,, FOREVER!!!!

Not sure they would be easy to deal with,, but Ron Ross claims that they will build a radiator for ANYTHING that has wheels,,, but at what cost (WILL be exorbitant for SURE!!),, I am not sure!!!

Good Luck!!

😎

Ok, for those that have installed the cold case (or other new radiator) in the SS, how hard is this, any special tools, etc? I assume I need to pull the front clip bit I can’t find anything online specific to the SS as a reference.

I have no problem doing this myself but want to have an idea what I am getting into. Thanks in advance.

Bump for help - Where’s all my hands on guys?

Regardless of which one I go with I’ve got to replace it and prefer to do it myself.

Reactions: a6d9cmro
I can help you. Full disclosure, my front clip was already off. DM me if you need any other help, happy to facetime or text through it. :)
I had to wait about 4 weeks when I ordered from Summit. Ed is correct, they never seem to have these in stock.
I was pretty impressed with everything once installed...I would recommend a new radiator cap though. I reused my original cap, and always had issues trying to get it to screw in. Put a new one on, smooth as silk.

Pic1- run a wire wheel around the inside just to knock out any remaining 'stuff' that was left behind. I had some non-value add items in there...
Pic2- Rubber puck will be loose on the stud on the cold case...that may have changed now tho...I just put the puck in the car first and then installed the radiator. Little soapy water may help it slide in the puck...
Pic3- Thickness comparison shot...
Pic4- The new fitting that is supplied with the new radiator...
Pic5- Tranny lines shot...I have a manual, but I think the lines maybe the same near the balancer...this is where I chose to remove the clip and separate the lines...much easier to install
Pic6- Lower hose connected
Pic7- Top mount for Fan shroud. You'll need to manipulate the tabs..(bend them in and then separate them after the shroud is on). Fit the shroud outside of the car first. You will likely need to trim just a little to get it to fit perfectly...I didn't do this, but will when I swap the motor soon.
Pic8- Installed

Attachments

Thanks for the heads up, sheffield! My 14 has 28k miles. I have parts ready for cooler weather: a melling oil pump, ati balancer, new water pump and hoses, seems like a good time to preemptively address the radiator. Summit has it for 409 plus tax right now.

The Cold Case has been on my wish list. I was aware of some of the fitment issues, but it seems to be minor tweaks. However, as I plan to swap out the LS3 for an NA LS7 'Dart' build, I'm a bit concerned with how much further the cold case may protrude/tilt inward towards the accessory drive. For those that have installed the Cold Case, any guesstimation? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks ad69cmro for the pics and notes, I do appreciate it. From your posts and the lack of other comments I’ll take it as it is not that difficult of a swap.

I’ve got to make a decision in the next day or so, need my car back up by August so I’ll likely go OEM to make sure I have the part on time and also order the Cold Case as a future spare, or if it arrives sooner than I think maybe I can then just return the unused OEM.

Bumping with another account of install. It fits great, I'm a fan! I have a few comments:

The tab on the fan shroud that was pointed out as an issue has been eliminated? I didn't have that tab on my cold case. Don't really need it anyway, so, nice improvement.

The fan shroud must be trimmed to clear the lower radiator hose, yes. Here are pictures of my before and after on that mod:

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Hubcap Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

And here's my installed shot. Shame it has to be covered by the plastic top, it's really nice! Please note, I haven't secured the upper mounts because I'm going to powder coat the trans thermostat bracket before install... it always bothered me that it was so visible through the grill. Let's make it something nicer than silver...
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

I am trying to install my Cold Case and not having a lot of fun right now. The radiator is not clearanced for the hard A/C line like the factory like the factory radiator is. This is preventing me from being able to bolt up the condenser and the transmission cooler. What have others done? I am not really wanting to bend the A/C line. Think my only other option would be to get longer bolts and use a stand off to mount the coolers...but then I am concerned that the VCM would fit.

Here are some pics:
OEM vs Cold Case: no clearance
Full View

The side of the Cold Case says 2407221...I take this to be date/batch of manufacture 24-July-2021.
FWIW mine does not have the springy tab for the fan shroud to clip into at the top/middle. Shroud just attaches with the left and right bolts.

Hmm, I'll have to check mine, but I don't recall those lines interfering. I do recall being aware of the tight fit near the cap with the existing hard line, but I thought I cleared my lower lines well. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Hmm, I'll have to check mine, but I don't recall those lines interfering. I do recall being aware of the tight fit near the cap with the existing hard line, but I thought I cleared my lower lines well. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.
Well I think I found the problem. I bent the A/C line against my better judgment and proceeded with the mockup. What I found is the VCM intake doesn't line up with the throttlebody now. So I measured the overall height (from bottom puck mounting location to top of radiator) and found the Cold Case to be a full 1" taller (about 18.5" compared to 17.5"). Argh so pissed off right now.

Not sure if you can measure the height of your Cold Case with the fan shroud on, but if you could verify yours is in the 17.5" range, that would explain both the A/C line clearance and my intake issues and might give me an avenue for a return/exchange on this one.

Please keep us posted. I have the VCM also. I've had the LMC100A in my shortcuts since it first showed up.

Please keep us posted. I have the VCM also. I've had the LMC100A in my shortcuts since it first showed up.
I called Cold Case tech support. They said to measure theirs and the factory radiator and compare to the specs posted on their website. Here is what I came up with:
Radiator Specs
  • Core Height 15.75 inch
    • Cold Case 16"
    • Factory 15.75"
  • Core Width 30.25 inch
    • Cold Case 29-5/8"
    • Factory 30.25"
  • Overall Height 21.75 inch (to neck)
    • Cold Case 21"
    • Factory 21"
  • Overall Width 31.25 inch
    • Cold Case 30-1/8"
    • Factory 31.25"
  • Overall Thickness 2.2 inch
    • Cold Case 2"
    • Factory 2"
Their reply was to return it back to Summit Racing (where I bought it) or have Summit exchange it. So basically, they have no interest in trying to fix or do anything or try to make a decent product. Very disappointing. I asked if it was just possible that this particular radiator was made incorrectly to see if exchanging it is even worth it, and they replied "Anything is possible". Thanks for the help.

• Sad
Reactions: SS WOT and good2go
A number of folks have installed the CC radiators on the forum, with no real fitment issues noted that I remember. You may have just got a bad “one off”. I believe it is a small shop and the radiators are likely built in small batches (maybe even singly) based on demand. I’ve communicated with CC several times at it has always been the owner (Ken I believe) that has replied.

You might try buying another from them directly vice a reseller and give them another chance to get it right, as others that have installed seem to be happy with the product. The OEM will fail, sooner or later.

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.