Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Someone please correct me if I've gone wrong somehow, but I was looking to replace my clutch/flywheel recently and found this ebay listing for australian manufactured OEM replacement. The seller has a near-perfect reputation and the item is listed as new GM parts. Considering I never intend to go after monster horsepower, the price was an immediate winner for me.

For those who may be toying with the idea of scoring one of these, I have a little background info that I got from talking to a gentleman at the seller's store. Basically, they bought a large container full of new old stock from a liquidator in AU that was full of "at least a hundred" of these clutches, but to their surprise, they weren't of a mixed variety, but instead they're all the same and only compatible with the SS/Caprice (and Holden brethren). Apparently, they had hoped they would be more saleable to a wider audience here, but instead found themselves stuck with a $hitload of these, and with only a very limited audience, so they are selling them off at clearance prices to get rid of them. He swore they are all legitimately new (old) factory stock pieces, and if ordered today, would ship right out tomorrow. For those wondering about a pilot bearing, he did say their kits don't come with a pilot bearing. I asked about their pricing on eBay since it also has a "Make Offer" option there, and he indicated the boss would likely give a little, "but not a whole lot".

Based on that, I went ahead and made an offer of $275, to which they countered back with a $285 offer, so I said lets meet up at $280, which they accepted. The total cost (with CA. tax added) was $304.50. Just wanted to let others know there are even further bargains to be had on top of the original bargain!

Here is their (non-eBay) store website in case anyone wants to contact them directly for any further clarifications:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ordered mine just now. Stock one got 65k on it and 15k a year now. So id imagine that it only has a little while left

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
OK,, I'm convinced!! I only have 33k on the car at this point,,, and figured on a clutch at around 50 to 60k!! If I wait,,, it will likely be just under 2 years till I hit that mark, so better safe than $1100+ worth of sorry later!!! I will order one tomorrow,, after I chat them up and see if I can get a few nickels off the listed price.

Question for you @cp-the-nerd !!! Never mind a bit of surface rust on the ring gear and so forth,,, how does the mating surface appear on that new flywheel??? Is there any pitting,, or is it a clean pristine surface??? ANY rust outside of a little dusting so to speak,, is not a good thing,, if its more than what a soft surface Scotch Brite will clean up!!!

Did it even come packed in a rust prevention wrapper???

:unsure:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m hoping the ride over on the ship may have accelerated the surface rust assuming that was the mode of transportation. They are local to me, about 30 mins up the road. I think I’ll take a ride up there in the morning and see if I can get some more info to add to @goodtogo’s findings.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I just posted an offer on their FleaBay site!! Let see what they say!! I'm still gonna buy one even if I have to pay the $299,,, cuz you cant beat this price with a sledge hammer no matter how you swing it!!!

Don't Y'All go and tell em I said that!!!!!!

😂

·
Registered
288 Posts
@good2go

pressure plate - 24 lbs
clutch disk - 4 lbs
flywheel - 50 lbs

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
288 Posts
@ESindon - I was mistaken earlier, it came with the pilot bearing, not the throwout bearing. GM#12557583

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
@ESindon - I was mistaken earlier, it came with the pilot bearing, not the throwout bearing. GM#12557583
You (WE) will all want (NEED!),,,, THIS!!!

I will now be able to spend the money on this critical upgrade,,, thanks to this stellar price for the other guts!!! Yes,,, I will upgrade to the Billet release bearing support, stainless braided lines and the speed bleeder!!! I mean,,, after all,,,, I'm gonna be "In There",,, why F around!!!

😎

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
... I was mistaken earlier, it came with the pilot bearing, not the throwout bearing. GM#12557583
Hmmm, That's odd. I specifically asked the guy I talked with whether or not the "kit" came with a pilot bearing, and he clearly and repeatedly indicated that it did not. In fact, I recall him saying that it is of little consequence since they are so inexpensive, you can just pick one up separately yourself. Also, it is not shown in either the eBay pics and description, nor the pics and info on their website, so maybe you just got lucky??

To be honest, I never even asked him about the throw-out bearing, as I figured it would clearly be mentioned if they did. Nothing inconsequential about it.

Thanks again for weighing the parts. That is good info for the forum to have. (y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I just got back from picking up my clutch kit w/ flywheel. I was talking to the owner and got the same story that that he told @goodtogo. Looks like he has about 20 of the kits w/flywheel left and about 50 clutch kits w/ no flywheel. It is surface rust that accumulated on the boat ride over here. I would imagine a little scotch brite and some wd40 should clean it up quite nicely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I just got back from picking up my clutch kit w/ flywheel. I was talking to the owner and got the same story that that he told @goodtogo. Looks like he has about 20 of the kits w/flywheel left...
I just brought that count down by 3...

Reactions: ESindon and good2go

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is the third one just for good measure?
Actually, I've got 3 SS's that reside at my house... However, if I ever decide to install that Procharger I keep threatening to get before the clutch is needed, I'll probably go with a more capable setup.

Reactions: ESindon and good2go

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Had a really nice chat with Ryan (Not my son! ;-),, at Hawk and secured mine for $280 just before I hit the road to client appointments this morning!!! They have a buncha stuff out of that entire container for GTO's that are hard to find,,, but alas,,, nothing for G8,,, :-( !!!

Anyone on the fence about these clutch parts better get on the ball quick,,, cuz we have sparked a run on them as of today!!! There were about 20 or so complete kits with that precious dual mass flywheel left and then thats it,,, all gone!!! NOW that said,,, they still have quite a few of the pressure plate and disk kits left,, but no more flywheels!!!

I suspect once I get together with the SoCalHolden FB group for our quarantine cruise down in San Diego tomorrow morning,,, there will be a few more gone once I bring that subject up!!!

;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Got mine today (sunday) i had to chase one of the holes, The pressure plate bolt was crooked when I unpacked it. You can see the threads that came off. I feel all the surface rust will come off with little work
9DBF48A6-43BB-43C7-9993-95796F4EF730.jpeg A337F0CA-8003-4C01-82C1-74AF2B9069A2.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Got mine today (sunday) i had to chase one of the holes, The pressure plate bolt was crooked when I unpacked it. You can see the threads that came off. I feel all the surface rust will come off with little work View attachment 282901 View attachment 282902 View attachment 282901 View attachment 282902 View attachment 282903 View attachment 282904
YIKES!!!

I hope that is an anomaly and not common to the entire lot that remains!!! Mine will ship out tomorrow!!

The surface rust on yours looks a tad bit more severe than the pieces that @cp-the-nerd got from the photos he posted up!!! HOWEVER,,, as you note,,, nothing that will require more than a bit of elbow grease, WD-40,, and a soft surface Scotch Brite to remediate!!!

HELL for 300 bucks,, its still a stellar deal either way,,, how can you go wrong with it!!! I just hope the one I recieve was not packed and shipped down in the BILGE on the ship!!!! Or Worse,,, used as a mooring!!!!

😂

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just FYI, it's up to 400 as of today.
Haha, that's supply and demand for you. They probably figured the recent surge of orders** (largely due to us) meant there was a lot more demand than they had estimated, so prices were adjusted accordingly. Still a good deal if the quality holds up.

** If the eBay "sold" count is correct, they have sold 14 of them in the last week, and that's not even counting what they may have sold from their own website or walk-in business.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On Saturday, I placed an order through the website at $299.00 (including shipping). Yesterday I received notification that the parts shipped. It is my guess that the notification was for printing of the shipping documentation and labels.
Looking forward to seeing the condition of the machined surfaces when the parts arrive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Haha, that's supply and demand for you. They probably figured the recent surge of orders** (largely due to us) meant there was a lot more demand than they had estimated, so prices were adjusted accordingly. Still a good deal if the quality holds up.

** If the eBay "sold" count is correct, they have sold 14 of them in the last week, and that's not even counting what they may have sold from their own website or walk-in business.
No doubt; They replied with similar reasons

21 - 40 of 54 Posts