Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone takes pics during vacation travel. Let's share ideas to help us all get pics that our friends want to see. (We've all had to sit through a tedious viewing of mediocre images while politely feining admiration.) How do you take it to the next step?
Travel can include landscapes, cities, strangers (street photography), family. Maybe we keep landscape pics in that thread?

My favorite travel photography tip? Spend more time seeing than shooting. Are you really going to sort through 1200 images when you get home, or look at a couple of hundred and then put your memory card in a drawer? Shoot less, see more.
If you take pictures of everything you may not remember anything and your image quality will suffer. Take some time to look around, only take pictures that you really gotta have, and make a moment to think about the image rather than pop off a snap shot.

8 Travel Photo Tips from Pros (This one's good.)
Philosophy of travel photography - Nat Geo (sort of long and esoteric, but hey, it's Nat Geo)

2nd favorite tip? There's a billion pictures of every famous landmark. What makes yours special? Shoot it from a different perspective.
Here's a couple of examples:
St. Basil's Cathedral is the iconic image of Russia. EVERY newscast about Russia shows this landmark, in case you weren't listening you still know the subject. This night shot may be less boring but nothing makes it stand out (I like it 'cuz it's mine.)
ISO-800; f/2.8; 1/20sec; 40mm; monopod (for shutter speed <1/60). Monopod is great for after-dark travel shots.

So how do you make your famous landmark shot different? Try an unusual angle. You've never seen St. Basil's like this, it's my fave image of the landmark:
ISO-200; f/7.1; 1/200s; 28mm

Sure, another Sydney Opera House pic. But you've not seen it up close, really close. This one get's your friends' attention, it's different. Plus, you didn't know til now that it's made of tiles.
ISO-2000; f/6.2; 1/60s; 18mm (35mm = 27mm) High ISO cuz it was after sunset, 1/60 is min handheld shutter speed, didn't want flash.

Hope these tips help. Post up some of your travel shots, tell us where and what you liked about the image.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sure, the best camera is the one you have with you. The better camera is anything that's not your cellphone.
Was at Johnson Space Center tonight after hours photographing the ISS flying over Rocket Park (zoom in 2D on map). Was excited that NASA unlocked the gates to let me in. (This wan't at all spontaneous, the guards sure aren't letting non-employees on campus after hours unless you have double-extra-special permission. If you don't ask, you don't get.)
Brought my small Fuji X-30 in case I wanted some quick pics and not have to eff with my always-on-manual Nikon. NFW would any cellphone camera gotten this shot. Considering the 1000' distance and that this was at night, rather pleased with this capture. Did have to find a rest (roof of car with pad under camera) to stabilize the camera in such low light, but didn't need tripod.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Night photography can produce some spectacular images if you have the right equipment. Two ways to get a good picture in low light are a longer exposure or higher ISO. Challenges are that you really can't shoot handheld below 1/60s shutter speed and the higher the ISO the grainer your shot. Tripod is helpful, there's other techniques you can use for a successful shot.

I particularly enjoy satellite spotting. It requires some planning. Had an image in mind for a couple of years, after much planning and work, I found out after the fact that there was no way this image was going to look what like what I'd hoped. Regardless, AFAIK this is the only image showing both ISS and Mercury capsule.

Wanted to capture the International Space Station flying over the Mercury/Redstone rocket at Rocket Park inside Johnson Space Center. This image was caught on the 60th anniversary of announcing the original Mercury Seven 7 astronauts and also the date on which JSC was given Mission Control for manned spaceflight. Without a lot of post-processing work, here's all I could salvage. 58 years of NASA achievements in one (failed) image:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Night photography can produce some spectacular images if you have the right equipment. Two ways to get a good picture in low light are a longer exposure or higher ISO. Challenges are that you really can't shoot handheld below 1/60s shutter speed and the higher the ISO the grainer your shot. Tripod is helpful, there's other techniques you can use for a successful shot.

I particularly enjoy satellite spotting. It requires some planning. Had an image in mind for a couple of years, after much planning and work, I found out after the fact that there was no way this image was going to look what like what I'd hoped. Regardless, AFAIK this is the only image showing both ISS and Mercury capsule.

Wanted to capture the International Space Station flying over the Mercury/Redstone rocket at Rocket Park inside Johnson Space Center. This image was caught on the 60th anniversary of announcing the original Mercury Seven 7 astronauts and also the date on which JSC was given Mission Control for manned spaceflight. Without a lot of post-processing work, here's all I could salvage. 58 years of NASA achievements in one (failed) image:

Ira, as a former JSC guy I like this and your dedication to make that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts
The first one is Monticello this past spring. It was much windier than I was expecting (I forgot to consider it was the top of the ridge). Not much was in bloom but I liked the walking path and the view back to the house, especially since it looks back at the study.

The second two are from 2016, one of the stops was Normandy. My Grandpa was in the 29th, a tank driver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Got back from 3 weeks in SE Asia (hence the radio silence). Hope everybody is good!!
Between the Nikon and our iPhones have about 2000 pics...
Enclosing sampling of a few transportation/mobility related ones. (Could pick quite a few other themes - food, religion, city-scapes, nature - but this is an obviously interesting one...) Posted in chronological trip sequence....

Singapore...

Bangkok...

Sihanoukville...

Saigon...

Hong Kong

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts