Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday the weather man was calling for nice weather. A cold front was coming in but not until late that evening. So I decided to drive my SS (2016 manual) to work.

It drove and ran fine on the way to work. It sat all day and when I started the car, it took a couple of seconds to actually start. Then I got a service stabilitrak, service power steering, and another warning (sorry I do not remember what it was). I drove around the parking lot and everything felt fine. I noticed that my speedometer, tachometer, and temp gauge was not working. Also the rear camera did not work when reversing. I turned it off and back on hoping that I would be able to reset a computer or something. Of course that did nothing to help the problems.

I had to pick my son up from soccer practice. And it seemed to be driving fine otherwise. So I went down to the soccer fields to relieve my wife from watching him. She has some work event in the evening. Once I got there I thought I would see if the problem persisted after another restart. Thank goodness I did not with my wife still there, because when I tried to restart it, the car thought the clutch was not fully engaged. I am glad I was not stuck there after my son's soccer practice with our three year old daughter. My wife dropped me off at home to get the Cruze to pick up our kids. After she got back that night, we went down to the soccer fields to tow the car to the dealer. It was getting colder (in the upper 20's or lower 30's), but the car started like it did when I was at work. The couple second delay in starting and all the warning signs were still there. I drove it down to the local dealer that was a 10 drive down the highway. I noticed a couple other issues. The magnetic suspension was all full (like track mode), the exhaust was fully closed like on touring mode, and the odometer never increased on that drive. The dealer informed me that my bumper to bumper warranty just ended on Oct. 31st (that was on Nov. 8th). I told them to go ahead and run a diagnosis. After reading these forums I thought it might be the battery. They called me that day and told me that the voltage from the battery was "erratic" and recommended replacing the battery. I know it is not hard replacing the battery but a few panels have to be removed to get to it, and the car was already down at the dealer. Plus they had a few coupons online for a new battery. Being lazy, I decided to just get it done and have them replace it for me.

I just got a call today telling me that the problems I had not gone away. They started checking all the circuits and noticed that the harness that goes over the differential was all chewed through by an animal. They are saying to repair the wiring harness, they would need to drop the differential. I asked them to price out a new harness, because I don't like the idea of having patched wires on my car. They are claiming that both the harness that runs over the differential and the one coming back from the front of the car are chewed up. The one coming back runs along the car and goes into the car and up to the instrument cluster. They would charge about $1000 for both harnesses ($800 for the longer one and $200 for the shorter). They do not have a book time for the replacement, but because they would have to dissemble a lot of the interior (including interior paneling, loosing the driver seat, dissembling part of the instrument cluster and dash) and drop the differential, it would probably be about 10 hrs. Price tag is really starting to rack up.

Obviously having chewed wires is a problem and is probably the culprit, but of course they could not guarantee that that is the problem.

I just wanted to post this for a couple of reasons. In case anyone else has the same symptoms check your wiring harness running back. Also I thought I would see what you guys think about how I should proceed. I have been thinking about adding a supercharger when the power train warranty ends in three years. I haven't researched it much (because that is going to be a while and I might have to move back to Europe for my work which means I probably wont take the SS with me), but if I increase power output by a couple hundred hp, would I need to replace anything else on the power train (the half shafts, drive shafts, diff gears, diff cooler, transmission)? If so should I take it down to a speed shop and have them do the repairs if we have to drop the differential anyways. When I took it to the dealer, I was hoping that the warranty was still valid. I knew it was close, but wasn't sure. How do you guys feel about a patched wiring harnesses? That is a lot of money to drop on new wiring harnesses and labor. I am sure I can do the work myself (and I am sure I can source the two harnesses for cheaper), but I just don't have the time right now with work and family life and my current project that I am enjoying on a '65 Impala.

·
Premium Member
13,555 Posts
Last year we had some rodent damage to the BMW i3. Insurance paid for it all, minus the deductible. Call your insurance company and start getting them involved. Insurer will want to see photos.
^this^

Comp coverage on many policies.

Yes to replace those harnesses you got a LOT of dissassembly to get to them. That said insurance will want to repair but replace is the only way to go to prevent future issues. Gotta solder and waterproof each repaired wire; and the hard part is finding all the damaged ones. Then tree rats chew here and there 'cause they can't make up their minds which one tasted better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone replaced the long harness themselves? What needs to be removed on the interior to replace it? Do you really have to drop the diff to get to the harnesses? Can I replace the one going over the diff and pull down the other one to patch it? I will probably end up doing the work myself because I don't have confidence in others. Plus I want an intact harness(es) without splices without paying thousands of dollars.

Crazy this all happened at work. I guess it doesn't take long for an animal to all that damage. Really sucks because I was about to put it away for the winter.

This car has had a long road for only 8k miles. I bought it a year ago and had one dealer change my oil. They told me it comes with a tire rotation, and I asked for them to just change the oil. Long story short they rotated my tires and put the backs on the front damaging the wheels, tires, and shocks. That was an entire affair getting them to replace everything. Never going to that dealer again.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Having them tear apart interior would worry me. I seriously would go to lifting her up and see for myself. There was that recall for loose tape on rear wheel harnesses. but if nothing is going snap crackle pop it might only be minor...

·
Registered
782 Posts
If this Forum were in Hebrew "lifting her up" could get the post removed and the author reprimanded

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have seen this before working at a dealership. Usually in the motor are because it’s warm. Sad thing is, the rodents will often come back and chew things up again. If you can stand the smell put mothballs in the area. Also definitely get insurance involved.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear this... i feel your pain though. I just went through this on my Monte Carlo, thought i had a bad fuel pump , car was in driveway luckily. I pulled the tank down with new GM fuel pump in hand and as soon as i got tank down i realized i’d need a harness , damn mouse chewed the connector body as well as the wires. I have read the attraction may be a soy product used in the wire insulator. I wish i thought of using my insurance though, that never occurred to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
I've never seen that as a "tape"! I was thinking pepper spray, but that would wash off. But, for short term storage, might be the trick.
I believe it started with Honda acknowledging a problem with their soy based wiring, putting out a TSB and then offering part number 4019-2317 as a solution.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Makes you wonder why they just don't incorporate it into the wiring from the start. I've heard of boat hull paint having cayenne pepper added to stop barnacles from attaching to the hull.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went down to the shop to see the damage for myself. I would attach pictures, but they did not come out well enough to really tell anything from them. I think my insurance is going to cover the damage minus deductible. I don't see how it could be fixed without dropping the diff cradle. I might wrap the harness that capsaicin tape that 15supersport was talking about. Walmart has it order online for about $30. Not cheap, but I don't want to have to do this again.

Can anyone think of anything I should do while the cradle is off the car? I don't want to start replacing parts just to replace them, but I don't want to have to remove the cradle again any time soon. I saw some people on here complain about rear wiring harness fraying where they connect to the rear shocks. Mine looked fine, but maybe I should wrap the new harness' ends?

·
Registered
750 Posts
If insurance won't pay It wouldn't bother me to repair the wires as long as it is done correctly. Of course I would want to see it first.

Had this happen to my son's car recently, a rat chewed a hole in the one piece plastic fuel line on top of the tank. He found the rat dead in the garage after some carefully placed poison. At least it most likely was it, haven't seen one since...

As far as that tape, what if they like it spicy? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone else is interested in an update. I haven't heard back from my insurance adjuster. They are supposed to call back by today.

I did go down to the shop and inspect the damage myself. It is amazing that the mechanic spotted the damage. It is up on top of the cradle. There is almost no room in there and when the mechanic gave me the mirror and told me where it was, it still took me a while to find it myself. I tried to take pictures for you, but they did not turn out well, but I am adding them anyways. He said he noticed the walnut first, and that helped him track it down. I was told over the phone that it was an acorn at first. That was important because I do not have any oaks close to my house, but there are walnut trees both on my property and at work. So now I have to wonder if it happened in my garage or not. Last year, my neighbor has complained about this tractor's wires getting clewed up by chipmunks. We have picked up the extra walnuts on both our properties to lower their population this year.

I did find this website that is selling rodent resistant braided sleeving. I like the idea of using sleeving better than tape. I hate working on projects when someone used tape. It leaves that sticky film behind that is virtually impossible to get rid of. Plus even the higher quality electric tape becomes brittle over time. The down side is if you want a clean insulation, I will have to buy several different diameter sleeving. Then I have several rolls of mostly unused sleeving. Maybe I can use it up on my other projects. I think I am going to start wrapping everything within reason.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts