Chevy SS Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
You're right! That's also what "average" rent is around here!
That's both funny on the rent comment, and sad but true. Why so many are moving out my way to Vegas.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
He said there is a burned connector to the pump. If that's the case the pump can't be trusted even if it runs after the connection repair, it is very possible it is pulling too many amps causing the connector to burn.
Of course it is possible the connection was crap from the factory, but either way I wouldn't trust the pump.....

As far as lasting for a long time, GMs seam to be the worst in my experience, or at least used to be the worst. I have no idea why.
That's a shame on the burnt connector, I must have missed that post reading through them all not fully awake this morning.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Umm, that’s the model of any shop. They’re there to make a profit, not fix everyone’s cars at a loss. Up selling is for the benefit of the customer because 90% of customers do not even check their oil between oil changes. They don’t get under their vehicles to see what’s leaking or worn out. I don’t agree with snake oil but independents sell that just the same as dealers. I do agree with changing fluids but I don’t like additives.
Umm, the point was that independents have a lot more skin in the game being that the success of their business is more directly impacted by reputation and a pleased customer base.

Where as with dealerships it is all about hitting targets.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Seriously? You really think that? The owner of my dealership plopped down $16 million dollars to build our facility plus all the upkeep (he just spent $60k repainting the building). I’m pretty sure he has a hell of a lot of skin in the game. And his name is on the building! It’s absolutely absurd to say that. I’m not putting down independents but to say they’re better than dealerships is just false. There’s more of them to pick from so you do have more options to find a good one since there’s usually only a few dealerships in an area but c’mon. They’re people trying to make a living just like at the dealership, there’s good and bad techs everywhere, good and bad employers everywhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cars these days.... I changed the fuel sender on a 69 B body in about 45 minutes and it cost me about that many dollhairs too. The tank was half full of racing gas and I wasn't going to waste it. 1600... wow...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seriously? You really think that? The owner of my dealership plopped down $16 million dollars to build our facility plus all the upkeep (he just spent $60k repainting the building). I’m pretty sure he has a hell of a lot of skin in the game. And his name is on the building! It’s absolutely absurd to say that. I’m not putting down independents but to say they’re better than dealerships is just false. There’s more of them to pick from so you do have more options to find a good one since there’s usually only a few dealerships in an area but c’mon. They’re people trying to make a living just like at the dealership, there’s good and bad techs everywhere, good and bad employers everywhere.
You intentionally don't want to read into the point I am trying to make, and that's ok. Yes, good and bad dealers, good and bad indys, we can agree on that.

In the meantime, I will continue to let high quality independents work on my out-of-warranty vehicles because I feel more comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Which is what? You’re saying dealers have goals (don’t all businesses?) and that means they can’t possibly do good work? Service and parts pay the bills of the dealership. If, like many on these forums, you’re convinced dealers don’t want to do any warranty work and they do crap work why would customers keep going there and spending money? What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. How could they afford to run all the customers off where an independent supposedly can’t?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think the finer point being made about the difference between independents and dealers is that most people inherently trust dealer service, its baked in. This is further reinforced after several years of "free" warranty work or routine maintenance in an effort to be extra sure the warranty is sound. Before one uses an independent shop they're going to ask around, check yelp, and then still be skeptical of their work, so in that sense it is a bit harder for independents. Pile on with some 20/20 news pieces on auto repair scams (always about an independent or non-dealer chain) and it's a tough road.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Or do like some G8 guys have and access under the rear seat. Might be the same layout but not sure. Does involve cutting access hole for which there are readymade panels to seal it up. Personally I would not cut on my car , well this one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SS metal pan under the seat is completely different and none of the G8 fuel pump access covers will work.
I'm telling you this from first hand, personal experience.
That dosen't mean you can't make your own;)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I want to see you do the fuel pump with a jack and a few jack stands.
CB750, I completely understand why you have your views on diy guys and I would say in 99% of cases you are right.
However, some of us got this licked... Jason Lester and I have done a a vast majority of major components on our cars on Jack stands. Although it is not ideal, we get it done. I just don't have a two post at this time, have had in the past and will have again but for know I'm on a creeper and stands. But then again, this ain't even close to my first rodeo.
Dropping the rear cradle to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.
No sweat - 15 minute job start to finish with just a couple of adjustable wrenches, a bottle jack, roll of duct tape and some baling wire. Easy-peasy.
My rear cradle was out in 15-20 minutes. It is pretty easy to remove. But that was just the start of it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^^Impressive. (y)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I worked with a guy once who did that. Made me cringe but it worked. Also have a friend with a 2000ish chev p/u. He talked me into cutting a whole in the bed and putting hinges on it. I told him no lets just drop the tank, he insisted because it failed so many times already. That was the easiest pump I've ever changed after the whole part was done! :LOL: Over the years I would have to say GMs have had the worst fuel pumps.....
Also, for some reason imports like to make access points, kind of nice really.
Here's how I did the fuel pump on my truck! Absolutely the best access to the pump without dropping the tank.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will have to remember that bed trick in case I ever decide to wring more performance out of my 03 Sierra.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
IF you do it on a truck

I recommend removing the tailgate to allow more clearance into the bed for the hoist / level and wrap the hoist or the bed with a moving mat.

Jackstands under the bed work well if you get the higher ones [6 ton type] and raise it enough with a wood or metal beam across two front stands to clear the truck tires rolling from under it :)

Good thread anyhow.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Jason Lester - how did you do do that?! Do you have instructions or recommend how to find them?
No instructions, I just knew the goal is to get the tank out so I started removing everything in my way until I got it out. Had to drop the sub frame a little which I didn't expect.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts