Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
kind of. The stakes are much higher monetarily with insurance. I can cover a $2000 repair if I lose the GMEPP gamble. I can’t afford to lose a $35k car straight up.
Which is exactly why I did buy the extended warranty on my car and do have uninsured AND enhanced underinsured motorist coverage on my policy. I cannot afford to lose a $35+K car... I can afford to stomach the loss on a TV or computer or one tire once every ten years at best... I pick and choose my warranty and insurance coverages on everything it is offered on carefully. Expensive car? Yes. Inespensive TV? No.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I want to see you do the fuel pump with a jack and a few jack stands.
It would be a lot of work but I sure as hell could do it.

I have done clutch swaps in C5 and C6 Corvettes where you have to drop the entire rear subframe and suspension. After that, you have to drop the diff/trans/torque tube just to ge to the clutch. Did it all on jack stands in the parking lot at my apartment.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Or do like some G8 guys have and access under the rear seat. Might be the same layout but not sure. Does involve cutting access hole for which there are readymade panels to seal it up. Personally I would not cut on my car , well this one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Or do like some G8 guys have and access under the rear seat. Might be the same layout but not sure. Does involve cutting access hole for which there are readymade panels to seal it up. Personally I would not cut on my car , well this one anyway.

Preeeeeeetty sure I said this 2 pages ago.

:)

And yup, that's the Flatfoot designed access cover plate.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Too many posts to quote in response to, but the moment my car -- any of them -- is no longer under factory warranty, there is not snowball's chance in hell it will ever see the inside of a dealer's service bay.

Lots of high quality indys out there that are run by enthusiasts, that offer nothing but the best work and customer experience. Why? Because their reputations are on the line. That can not be said about the high majority of dealer service departments. The good shops aren't cheap, that's for sure, but you get what you pay for. I'd pay more to a high quality indy than save a few bucks at a dealer any day of the week.

The dealer model is; get 'em in, try to upsell, turn them around as quickly as possible in order to do another. If goals and set margins aren't met, mangers aren't seeing their bonuses. Does that model sound like quality work to you?

This is my go-to shop. I'd let these guys work on my children, if I had any.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't know about other cars, I spent my first 27 years with Mazda and the early ones all had an access panel (under the seat, in the trunk or pickup bed) for the fuel pump and or the fuel level sensor, if it was in a different place. I didn't see tanks come out for fuel pump replacements until I moved over to GM. I remember thinking how stupid that was.
My uniformed opinion is this is simply cost savings on GMs part, and then ultimately a moneymaker on the service side. Statistically the vast majority of fuel pumps will last the duration of the manufacturer warranty, so no reason to go to expense of making the change easy. Then, out of warranty rack up the service and parts dollars for when they do fail. Parts are engineered to last the length of the warranty and then some to catch most of the statistical outliers that fail early, and to meet performance and safety requirements. Expense beyond that is just waste....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Preeeeeeetty sure I said this 2 pages ago.

:)

And yup, that's the Flatfoot designed access cover plate.
I thought someone would have , guess I skipped over it.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
... and the harness. Now I know this price is outrageous. My question is what kind of info can I arm myself with to try to get this price down? Has anybody gotten a fuel pump replaced by Chevy before? How much did it cost you?
Are you fully sure that the fuel pump is even the issue, what are your symptoms?

How many miles are on your SS and what troubleshooting did your dealer do to determine its faulty? Did they do pressure tests, etc or what? Many fuel starting issues are not the pump at fault. I guess some can fail prematurely but they usually last for many miles and years from my understanding.

Such a high cost I would be very sure before I personally replaced this part using dealer with OEM or going different route.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
... and all you folks here say you don't need a GMEPP because the LS3 is bulletproof and everything else is cheap DIY so you will never use it!!

HA ... horsehockey ... as Col. Potter used to say !!!
Not me - I didn’t get it cuz I knew I wanted to hot rod my ride - and it’s well documented I pay and pay and pay for my repairs lol

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Haha, this brought back memories. Changing the OEM Fox Mustang in-tank 88LPH pump that crapped out at 300HP levels to the bad boy Walbro 190 or 255LPH pump. Literally took only 1.5 hrs start to finish by myself. Did 3-4 of them over the years, good times.
Did one for a buddy on the side of the road in January after a snow storm - and he had a full tank! UGH not good times that day!! Lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
Are you fully sure that the fuel pump is even the issue, what are your symptoms?

How many miles are on your SS and what troubleshooting did your dealer do to determine its faulty? Did they do pressure tests, etc or what? Many fuel starting issues are not the pump at fault. I guess some can fail prematurely but they usually last for many miles and years from my understanding.

Such a high cost I would be very sure before I personally replaced this part using dealer with OEM or going different route.
He said there is a burned connector to the pump. If that's the case the pump can't be trusted even if it runs after the connection repair, it is very possible it is pulling too many amps causing the connector to burn.
Of course it is possible the connection was crap from the factory, but either way I wouldn't trust the pump.....

As far as lasting for a long time, GMs seam to be the worst in my experience, or at least used to be the worst. I have no idea why.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
..., out of warranty rack up the service and parts dollars for when they do fail. Parts are engineered to last the length of the warranty ....

After working 50 years in dealerships service departments, I have not found this to be true, perhaps, without any maintenance done this may be true, but otherwise no.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Did one for a buddy on the side of the road in January after a snow storm - and he had a full tank! UGH not good times that day!! Lol
LOL, why do they always seem to fail with a damn near full tank?!?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The dealer model is; get 'em in, try to upsell, turn them around as quickly as possible in order to do another. If goals and set margins aren't met, mangers aren't seeing their bonuses. Does that model sound like quality work to you?
Umm, that’s the model of any shop. They’re there to make a profit, not fix everyone’s cars at a loss. Up selling is for the benefit of the customer because 90% of customers do not even check their oil between oil changes. They don’t get under their vehicles to see what’s leaking or worn out. I don’t agree with snake oil but independents sell that just the same as dealers. I do agree with changing fluids but I don’t like additives.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts