Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah that fuel pump job isn’t a quickie like say and old fox body mustang or most foreign cars with an access panel under the seat. Lotta labor involved. Hell I spent 1100 for my explorer pump at the dealer 10 years ago and the truck was 10 years old at the time! Crazy part is the dealer was cheaper than the shop I took it to first - mainly because I wanted all genuine Ford parts. I hear you, stuff can get costly, but it is what it is. There’s usually a year warranty on p&l if the dealer does it too. Just my .02
Haha, this brought back memories. Changing the OEM Fox Mustang in-tank 88LPH pump that crapped out at 300HP levels to the bad boy Walbro 190 or 255LPH pump. Literally took only 1.5 hrs start to finish by myself. Did 3-4 of them over the years, good times.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This. How many dealership stories do we need to trade about damaged cars, staggered tires rotated, front suspensions FUBAR after EPS replacement, joy rides, etc, etc, etc.... before we agree that the level of service isn’t any better than a trusted independent shop. Being a rare car makes no difference.
I have my dealer rotate my staggered setup side to side ;) At least the right/left wear is evened out haha

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,983 Posts
... and the harness. Now I know this price is outrageous. My question is what kind of info can I arm myself with to try to get this price down? Has anybody gotten a fuel pump replaced by Chevy before? How much did it cost you?
$2498.15 at our dealer.

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
151 Posts
This. How many dealership stories do we need to trade about damaged cars, staggered tires rotated, front suspensions FUBAR after EPS replacement, joy rides, etc, etc, etc.... before we agree that the level of service isn’t any better than a trusted independent shop. Being a rare car makes no difference.
Well, if we're being intellectually honest and utilizing higher-level critical thinking, I believe we'd come to the conclusion that there are horror stories at both Dealerships and Independent Shops. My dealership has taken great care of my SS through the EPS failure I experienced while driving before the recalls ever happened (still warrantied though) to all of the routine maintenance I've had them do. They even asked if I wanted my free alignment with the EPS R&R to be street or track specs. I have them do all the things I don't want to do like oil changes,trans fluid, brake fluid and cooling system flushes and I do the things that I think they charge too much for that are quick for me - brake pads, rear diff oil, plugs/wires and filters for example.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Haha. What proof do you have of this? In quick service, sure that's generally the case because that's the bottom of the totem poll but no dealer has the entire shop full of poorly paid young techs and stays in good standing with GM for warranty work and training.
I know a few mechanics and hired a former Toyota tech to come work in my department. A lot has changed in how the dealers treat their service mechanics, you can find articles on the matter related to the issues of flat rate pay and the resulting hit to morale. Pay your employees poorly, treat them poorly and inevitably you only get fresh hires who need a first job and then fly the coop as soon as they establish themselves. Sure they're ASE and GM certified out of trade school, but that's not granting a tech the wisdom of years of experience.

That's great that you have a good independent to do repair work. Alldata is far from the same as the "GM shop manual," there's a reason it's known as Somedata. I just find it humorous that people act like an independent is always better but when the independent doesn't want to or can't fix something, they send the customer to the dealer.
Yes, I am fortunate to have found one, and fortunate to be astute enough to determine a mechanic who is trying to rip off customers. I would never say any independent is ALWAYS better. I would say a dependable, trustworthy independent is always better for out of warranty work.

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I do see the occasional expensive repair here, but how many members are on this forum? I bet we are far short of repair dollars spent to equal or exceed GMEPP purchase costs for all of us.
I’m at 53,000 miles with zero repair bucks. It’s my gamble.
Anyone else!
Of course we are. Extended warranties only exist because on the whole they are profitable. And they are only profitable because on the whole we (the purchasers) do not come out ahead. Nobody’s going to boast that they bought a GMEPP and never used it. But we’re going to hear about every expensive repair, covered or not.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
All the guys with G8s that were doing that and had any sense were cutting access holes under the rear seats to get at the fuel pumps without having to drop the tank. Flatfoot offered access covers for a time then allowed people to use the designs he had made in order to make more of their own.
I worked with a guy once who did that. Made me cringe but it worked. Also have a friend with a 2000ish chev p/u. He talked me into cutting a whole in the bed and putting hinges on it. I told him no lets just drop the tank, he insisted because it failed so many times already. That was the easiest pump I've ever changed after the whole part was done! :LOL: Over the years I would have to say GMs have had the worst fuel pumps.....
Also, for some reason imports like to make access points, kind of nice really.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,983 Posts
I don't know about other cars, I spent my first 27 years with Mazda and the early ones all had an access panel (under the seat, in the trunk or pickup bed) for the fuel pump and or the fuel level sensor, if it was in a different place. I didn't see tanks come out for fuel pump replacements until I moved over to GM. I remember thinking how stupid that was.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Yes, $1600 is a bit high but as stated it isn't like a pickup where a few bolts and wheel it out from under the bed!

$300 ish difference in part cost is not worth the labor headache if it fails. $300 vs $1200 in labor...

Edit - so $200 for a harness...$1000 labor.

See if the dealer can work with you on the cost. How many miles? Surprised it went...[sorry if posted already, i did not read it all]

SS fuel pump 13592334 without level sensor around $400 (with a level sensor 19303293 about $460). You could probably get this down under 300...

SS harness 92265125. Just about $110. You could get this for under $100...

Reactions: gbro18 and SS_Scott

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Same as Comprehensive Insurance for your car. You could just get Collision/Uninsured motorist but I bet very few SS owners do.

The insurance companies are making money and you don't ever expect to claim.

Of course we are. Extended warranties only exist because on the whole they are profitable. And they are only profitable because on the whole we (the purchasers) do not come out ahead. Nobody’s going to boast that they bought a GMEPP and never used it. But we’re going to hear about every expensive repair, covered or not.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Same as Comprehensive Insurance for your car. You could just get Collision/Uninsured motorist but I bet very few SS owners do.

Truth. You pay every year for a service you hopefully don't use. Seems like a giant pyramid scheme haha.

The what ifs get expensive.

What's someones time worth? Yours? Theirs?

I put the GMPP on my 16 to cover other stuff. MR and headache alone. Might add it to my wife's before the stocker runs out.

Transferable to new owners.

Reactions: CB750

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
If you want to save money and never to go back to a dealership (which I highly recommend), do the job yourself. Might be a lot of work but that is part of the fun.

You would be amazed what you can do with a set of tools, a jack, and a few jack stands.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

kind of. The stakes are much higher monetarily with insurance. I can cover a $2000 repair if I lose the GMEPP gamble. I can’t afford to lose a $35k car straight up.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
If you want to save money and never to go back to a dealership (which I highly recommend), do the job yourself. Might be a lot of work but that is part of the fun.

You would be amazed what you can do with a set of tools, a jack, and a few jack stands.
I want to see you do the fuel pump with a jack and a few jack stands.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Lol I’ve done many gm fuel pumps. Dropping tanks. Good times. All on jackstands. Had one fail prematurely too and it was an acdelco flex fuel one. Expensive. Had to do it again. Shite happens. If you don’t like tinkering then shut up and pay. If you like tinkering do it yourself.

I must say tho the easiest fuel pump I did was on a c4. Done in 20 minutes. Worst thing I ever had to deal with was the brake lines and abs module on an lt1 c4. Still did it all on jackstands in the same driveway you see my ss in. Do all my work there. You’d be amazed at the shite you can do with your hands and just a bit of patience.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Dropping the rear cradle to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.
No sweat - 15 minute job start to finish with just a couple of adjustable wrenches, a bottle jack, roll of duct tape and some baling wire. Easy-peasy.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
I want to see you DIY never ever go to the dealer guys diagnose/fix stuff that requires access to GDS and special tools.

Yeah them jack stands, floor jack, Craftsman wrenches and BFH can fix anything on a MODERN car.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I want to see you DIY never ever go to the dealer guys diagnose/fix stuff that requires access to GDS and special tools.

Yeah them jack stands, floor jack, Craftsman wrenches and BFH can fix anything on a MODERN car.
You know what? You’re so right. The moral of the story is just do everything exactly the way @CB750 says to all other methods are wrong. If you don’t follow his rules your car will fall apart.

?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know a few mechanics and hired a former Toyota tech to come work in my department. A lot has changed in how the dealers treat their service mechanics, you can find articles on the matter related to the issues of flat rate pay and the resulting hit to morale. Pay your employees poorly, treat them poorly and inevitably you only get fresh hires who need a first job and then fly the coop as soon as they establish themselves. Sure they're ASE and GM certified out of trade school, but that's not granting a tech the wisdom of years of experience.
I know more than a few. The only people who think flat rate is a hit to morale just can't cut it (or customers that think I should be punished because I'm good at my job and beat the book time). Sure there are problems (like there are in every job and profession) but flat rate isn't it. Plenty of independents also pay flat rate and also treat their employees poorly. Just like any job in any profession there are good and bad places to work. I guess I'll go spread the word that we all forgot the fly the coop.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts