Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and the harness. Now I know this price is outrageous. My question is what kind of info can I arm myself with to try to get this price down? Has anybody gotten a fuel pump replaced by Chevy before? How much did it cost you?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replacing the fuel pump is a job, the cost doesn’t surprise me at all especially from a dealer. Are they including the cost of the fuel pump?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replacing the fuel pump is a job, the cost doesn’t surprise me at all especially from a dealer. Are they including the cost of the fuel pump?
Yes, including the cost of the fuel pump, which is over $400. At Rock Auto it's $100 something ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
buy it yourself from Rock Auto and have the dealer install it
no reason why they wouldn't

Reactions: W88fixer

·
Registered
393 Posts
although I called my local Chevy dealer to take my new-to-me SS in for the first time to M&B my new All Season tires and install the CAGS eliminator and the response I got from the service dept rep was "sorry we cannot install ANY customer supplied parts, everything must be ordered directly from us"... I said "really? not even tires?"... "nope. everything you must order through our parts or service department"...

got a call a few days later asking what work they were doing on my car over the weekend from a different person. I explained what happened and that I had already taken my car somewhere else... she said "that's bul**hit we can absolutely do that I have no idea why anyone here would tell you that"... not sure I trust this dealer now but I might give them one more shot

·
Registered
807 Posts
If it's anything like the G8, they'll need to drop the fuel tank. If that's the case, they'll be taking apart your entire rear end to get at it.

So I'm not surprised. Most of that cost is likely labor.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What happens if the pump or other customer supplied part fails later on? It's under warranty but it won't be the dealers responsibility as they didn't supply it. i.e. It's your problem.
Then that is on the customer to decide and take the risk. In my case, tires wouldn’t be covered anyways. In the OPs case, if the Rock Auto part is an authentic ACDelco part, then it should be covered under some sort of manufacturer warranty right?

basically if you can buy OEM parts for much cheaper than a dealer can, buy it and have the dealer install it and it’ll still be covered under the same coverage as if the dealer bought it

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Tires are one thing as labor to change them is cheap.

A failed pump would definitely be covered under the ACDelco warranty.

But you would have to pay to have it fitted as labor is not included in that warranty.

And in the case of the pump, labor is a major part of the overall cost.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't forget their hefty markup on the part. That would be a good reason for a shop to not do it. I know some do, but a dealer doing it surprises me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't forget their hefty markup on the part. That would be a good reason for a shop to not do it. I know some do, but a dealer doing it surprises me.
I know. I was miffed because that dealer supposedly has "a guy" who is an expert at working on Camaros and Corvettes... needless to say, I was looking forward to having this "expert" take my car into his hands. Next time hopefully will go over better.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I know. I was miffed because that dealer supposedly has "a guy" who is an expert at working on Camaros and Corvettes... needless to say, I was looking forward to having this "expert" take my car into his hands. Next time hopefully will go over better.
is the CAGS a GM part? I would't expect a dealer to do a part like that, a modification...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, I can't really think of a reason you need a Corvette or Camaro "expert", it's just a gas tank. Maybe someone will chime in about the labor hours involved in pulling the tank. It must be a real B to charge $1600.
I would explore buying a pump from Rock Auto and calling another shop, they should be able to tell you the exact dollar amount for labor to change it going by the book. Tell them you will buy an AC Delco pump and you just want them to change it.
Now I have to ask, what's with the harness??? What makes you think it needs a wiring? harness? That could be a real big part of the cost too! Not jut the part but labor on the harness.....
What happened to your car? Are you even sure it's the pump that is the problem?
Well mine was changing tires out and installing the CAGS harness... I felt way more comfortable with someone who is quote unquote an expert at working on Camaros and Corvettes from the beginning of getting the car off the ground to knowing where to look for the CAGS installation...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
... and the harness. Now I know this price is outrageous. My question is what kind of info can I arm myself with to try to get this price down? Has anybody gotten a fuel pump replaced by Chevy before? How much did it cost you?
Have to ask, why the pump and the harness?
I would get the part from Rock Auto and have another shop at least give you a price.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well mine was changing tires out and installing the CAGS harness... I felt way more comfortable with someone who is quote unquote an expert at working on Camaros and Corvettes from the beginning of getting the car off the ground to knowing where to look for the CAGS installation...
yes, I just realized you aren't the OP so I edited my reply. :LOL:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's anything like the G8, they'll need to drop the fuel tank. If that's the case, they'll be taking apart your entire rear end to get at it.

So I'm not surprised. Most of that cost is likely labor.
Yeah that had to drop the tank and the rear end. It really should cost that much though?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah that had to drop the tank and the rear end. It really should cost that much though?
I'll guess 400 for the pump, 200 for the harness, the rest labor. Around here labor at a dealer is about $120 an hour. Do the math on your labor rates.

Well, it's already there and they already did the repair?? or? Just got the tank dropped? Make no mistake you are getting hosed on part prices, but that's the way it is. Pays the parts man and for the parts room and makes profit. I would ask them to give you a break on the price, doesn't hurt to ask.

Did they say how many hours? Sometimes they screw you on labor by charging time on stuff double. Example: Say spark plugs and a coil. Getting charged labor to change the plugs and getting charged labor to change the coil. The coil has to come off anyway but you get hit for the coil labor. I don't know how often this crap happens but it does. If you don't know much about car repair you pretty much have to trust them.

If that harness is expensive and adds lots to the labor I would repair it. But this kind of thing is up to them if they will do it really.

You could always call a local shop and ask for a price.....Get an idea.

Also, I always find it ironic when people want OEM parts only dammit! Isn't that part that just failed OEM? ;)

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
!- Dealer sets prices; not Chevrolet or GM

2- Most dealers as well as chains and independent shops will not installed ANY customer supplied parts for liability and insurance reasons. Blame all the knock off parts; especially ones sold by the Sleezebay sellers. Even the OEMs cannot tell the difference in many instances and it is a HUGE problem. Remember the haul of Ford knock offs ??? They were so "good" even Ford had a hard time detecting them.

3- Dealers do NOT pay more for parts than Rock Auto sells them to you. The 'average' mark up in the automotive industry is double the cost for every hand that touches the part ... and there are a lot of hands.

My grandfather (RIP) used to complain about the price of bread and why it was over a dollar a loaf when he used to pay 29 cents ... "they are thieves".

Look up what you got to do to change that pump and harness ....

1 - 20 of 104 Posts