Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy says the SS will have a low center of gravity with a near 50/50 weight distribution accomplished by making both the hood and trunk lid from aluminum, meaning the pieces are 30 percent lighter than they'd be if they were made from steel

While we still haven't received word from a Chevy Rep on where our manual transmissions are, at least we know the Chevy SS/VF Commodore has the right setup to be a great car on twisty roads and road courses, which apparently is one of reasons why they were on the Nurburgring (links to that below)

With a near 50/50 weight distribution and low center of gravity, what else (aside from the obvious, manual transmission...duh) should Chevrolet do to make it more of a drivers cars?

Chevy SS/VF Commodore's on the Ring:
2014 Holden UTE SSV spotted at the Nurburgring
SPIED On The Nurburgring: 2014 Camaro Z28, ZL1, Corvette mule and Holden VF SSV
SS results from the 'Ring

·
Registered
397 Posts
Move the SS Sedan to the Alpha chassis, offer a manual (DCT or at least a stickshift) and produce the car in North America.

Frankly, adding some aluminum to a 5 year car isn't that impressive.
They should just have offered a Alpha based SS Sedan instead instead of importing a 5 year old car with some new sheetmetal.

The more time goes on , the more I think the 2014 SS Sedan is dead before it even arrives.
They should just scrap the thing for a 2015 SS Sedan built on the Aplha chassis.
If not, GM is going to have to discount the $HIT out of the 2014 SS Sedan.
That's the real reason the SS Sedan is going to be made to order in my opinion.
i'm with this idea.

I rather see Chevy do a 2 year production run of the commodore based SS and then when 2016 comes around, give us new alpha based american built SS. same engine in the alpha platform should do much better. in the alpha platform what engine would you want?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LT1 and TR7070 stickshift with the 8spd auto being the option until GM pulls their head out of their ass and starts offering Dual Clutch Transmissions.

Stick with the historical solution of the Corvette drivetrain.
Remember, the basic engine and transmission design of all these cars are shared with GM trucks.
We'll have to wait for the C7 Corvette to get DCT in future years. It seems to be the trend to put something crazily new to the brand in it's well know flagship model (Corvette) and eventually start to use that tech in "low-end" vehicles.

There was a rumor about DCT in the C7 vette, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe 2016?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The hallowed "Corvette Team" has their head so far up their ass on DCT that everything that comes out of their mouth on the subject is pure bull$hit.

I don't see Corvette getting DCT till the mid model refresh (2017?)
But, if GM wants Corvette not to be the joke of the performance world, they should offer a DCT ASAP.

I find it hard to buy any new car in 2013 without DCT.
I can stomach a stickshift in a bargain basement priced V8 daily driver (SS Sedan, Camaro, or base Corvette) because it's cheap and offers increased driver control and fuel mileage over a torque converter.
But, DCT is the gold standard for world class sports cars in 2013.
exactly, no DCT and other modern & future performance car key feature and they'll just be holding back the Corvette. GM has a ton of good things to offer but they always pull some idiot move or don't look into what could make them be at the top with the rest. If nothing happens like this in the current C7 corvette and SS then i wont be sure what to think of GM

·
Registered
397 Posts
LT1 and TR7070 stickshift with the 8spd auto being the option until GM pulls their head out of their ass and starts offering Dual Clutch Transmissions.

Stick with the historical solution of the Corvette drivetrain.
Remember, the basic engine and transmission design of all these cars are shared with GM trucks.
about a Chevy eight speed transmission have a look at this:

General Motors will end its internal-only approach to transmissions, opting to buy some 8-speed units from suppliers to mate with its upcoming twin-turbo V6. For the most part, however, GM will continue to develop and manufacture its own auto-boxes, with a new generation of 8-speed units arriving soon. But not soon enough.

While domestic rival Chrysler has already begun a roll-out of 8-speed units in its models, GM’s in-house developed units won’t be available until around 2016. As a result, many of GM’s exciting new flagship models won’t have an 8-speed at launch, instead relying on older 6-speed units.

Included in that list of models, reports GMInsideNews, are cars like the next-generation Cadillac CTS, Chevy Camaro and even the upcoming C7 Corvette. The 8-speed automatic transmission should arrive in time for a mid-cycle update on those cars. Expect the 8-speed auto to then arrive in GM’s full-size truck lineup about the same time.

article mentions a chevy 8-speed transmission likely with a v6 twin turbo and probably without too and that it should be available by 2016. 2016 is also when SS production moves to north america.

8 speed Chevy SS by 2016? hmmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts