Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to change the oil on my 2017 Chevy SS sedan.

I created a video for my YouTube channel that demonstrates the steps to change the engine oil on a 2017 Chevy SS sedan 6.2L LS3 engine.

The steps to the Chevy SS oil change are not that unique. I thought I would document the things to check before draining the oil (oil / engine condition), the parts used (I use OEM parts during the warranty period) and how to reset the oil life monitoring system.

In the "Description" section of the YouTube video, I have a list of steps with clickable times that let you jump to that section of the video.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Such a simple, routine task, but man I wish more vids on YT had the angle, lighting, and steady camera that your videos offer. Good job OP!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice video. What ramps are those?

Those ramps are the "Race Ramps RR-XT-2 67-Inch XT 2-Piece" ramps. I purchased them back in 2010 when I had my 2010 Chevy Camaro SS and I've used them on the 2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Charger SRT8, 2013 Infiniti G37x, 2015 Chevy SS, 2017 Chevy SS and my 2004 Chevy SSR pickup. They are rated for 1500 lbs each (3000 lbs per axle). They were quite pricey but based on the amount of use and convenience I've received from them, it ends up being worth it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 370 views of this video so far. Only 6.48% are from subscribers of my YouTube channel.

I'm trying to get to 1000 subscribers in the next couple of months. There's no cost to you to subscribe, but subscribing does require you have a Google issued account - which should also be free.

The following link will take you to my YouTube channel and ask if you want to subscribe:

http://bit.ly/retrocarguy530-subscribe

I'm getting laid off from my current IT job in the next couple of months. After my last day at my IT job, I'll be sending a lot more time on my new company's YouTube channel, Instagram TV channel.

Thank you to everyone that has already subscribed. It's truly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stop using the PF48e, those are trash. Plastic core, fiber endcaps on the filter, cheap components top to bottom. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be a FRAM produced junk-tier filter. All ACDelco "e" branded oil filters are plastic core garbage.

I get UPF48R filters from Amazon, which are rebadged Mobil 1 extended performance filters. The decent quality standard PF48 became super scarce and hard to find back in the early 2010s when I used them in my previous 2009 Malibu. GM listed the PF48e as interchangeable and I noticed the quality was not the same, then I found threads explaining the difference on bobistheoilguy. Basically everyone hates them.

PF48 vs PF48e

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a big fan of the Mobil 1 and Wix oil filters. I'll certainly consider using the UPF48R going forward, but as I stated in the video I used the PF48e to match what was supplied on the engine from the factory.

If there is still an active warranty and any time you deviate from what was used by the car manufacturer (no matter if the part if better than the original) and something happens to the engine, the manufacturer will call into question anything that deviated from the factory supplied parts. Even with the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act", it doesn't prevent the manufacturer from making your life more difficult when pursuing a warranty claim.

I say, if you are comfortable with using a different (and hopefully better) part on your vehicle, go for it! Just make sure you keep good documentation of your maintenance tasks (no matter what parts you use).

Stop using the PF48e, those are trash. Plastic core, fiber endcaps on the filter, cheap components top to bottom. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be a FRAM produced junk-tier filter. All ACDelco "e" branded oil filters are plastic core garbage.

I get UPF48R filters from Amazon, which are rebadged Mobil 1 extended performance filters. The decent quality standard PF48 became super scarce and hard to find back in the early 2010s when I used them in my previous 2009 Malibu. GM listed the PF48e as interchangeable and I noticed the quality was not the same, then I found threads explaining the difference on bobistheoilguy. Basically everyone hates them.

PF48 vs PF48e

·
Registered
191 Posts
The UPF48R is an ACDelco factory replacement equivalent for the PF48 and it has been standard factory equipment on previous LS3 models. It will not void any part of your powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ive had the Chevrolet Dealer up-install the UPF48R filter both times. (aka gold letter) Its a black filter actually. I bought 3 on Amazon and did look down the bore of each of them...... not impressed with what looks like an ill fitting black ring down deep inside of it. All 3 look about the same when it comes to (not) seeing that ring around the whole inner circumference. I didnt cut one up. threw 2 in the SS trunk as loaners / spares and kept one in the garage. They really are not that much more $$ than the 48E

Normally I would also consider putting this UP48R filter in my 08 5.3 iron block Vortec LS with AFM. ....some concerns that the AFM (DOD) engines have different oil pumps or pressures and that the R filter may be a bit difficult for the pump to manage as oil pressure on the 5.3 can wane down to 22PSI when the oil gets some miles on it.

UPF48R (VS PF48) has a finer particle screen. (any proof?) Also heard it has a higher burst pressure. (any proof?) Its "made for" synthetic oil. (any proof...)?? Ooh, its seal is coated to come off easier (any proof)?? AND its also more expensive. (fact!) .

I think you can substitute with a comparable WIX and be just fine. or M1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for putting this together, I really prefer to do my own oil changes/work because of bad experiences. I'll for sure be doing the oil changes now seeing how its done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The very first thing that should be done when changing oil is to replace the stock oil pan plug with the magnetic plug that is OEM equipment on the Corvettes. When all those little roller bearings decide to part company with the rocker arms, you want them to find a better resting place than the oil pump. Plus looking at what is on the magnet provides an early warning of internal problems, or reassurance if the magnet is clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts