Chevy SS Forum banner

Chevrolet SS Will Cost More than It’s Worth

10K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  \/Eight 
#1 ·

A Holden-sourced hotrod for the U.S. has all but been confirmed by GM after an OnStar slipup and the resulting media storm, but official details are still just out of reach. Even without that information, there’s a reasonable argument to be made that the rear-drive Chevrolet SS will be less than prolific.

Aussie dollars are thriving in the world market right now — a huge change from just a few years ago where it was a nothing-currency valued well-under the U.S. dollar. Why should you care, you may ask? It’s really very simple.

Australia’s strong exports are sending its dollar through the roof, which means anything exported from the country will also be more expensive. A certain Chevrolet SS that perked so many ears in recent weeks falls smack dab in the middle of that category. Simply put, under the current economic climate, you probably cant afford to buy one.

Even the folks who can might choose not to. The truth is, unless you have some sort of misplaced loyalty to either GM or Holden, there will probably be a competing car with better per-dollar value.

With details still totally in the dark, folks like us start dreaming and that’s exactly what automakers count on. Media members create a buzz and that helps sales, but don’t forget that the Chevrolet SS will likely be a reiteration of the previous U.S. Holden Commodore (the Pontiac G8). While it had impressive specifications and a big V8, lackluster sales and an almost automatic-exclusive drivetrain spelled the G8′s doom.

At its peak, the Aussie dollar sat in February at 1.08 to the Greenback. It’s true that the disparity between our currencies is shrinking, but the fact remains that Australia’s success is due largely to Chinese demand for its goods, something that is likely to continue for the immediate future.

Given that, it seems reasonable to assert that a Caprice, G8 successor, Chevrolet SS, or whatever the company labels it will be priced as a niche car. People with money to burn and a keen sense of individuality may find merit in something like that, but it isn’t a recipe for mass appeal.

Similarly, it’s doubtful that the cars will be easy to market in fleets, that is unless GM is willing to stretch the already razor-thin margins associated with that sort of deal.

The end result? Don’t hold your breath for a hot Holden in North America at a reasonable price — you’ll turn blue and keel over first.

More: Chevrolet SS Will Cost More than It’s Worth on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#6 ·
It's going to be a "niche" vehicle, so high sales won't be the target. Although, i dare say "fleet" sales to NASCAR teams/execs would probably be enough on its own! lol.

The G8's sales were steadliy increasing throughout the time it was on the market. People were paying more than RRP to get their hands on one.

Pontiac was shut down, that was the G8's demise.

#14 ·
With production numbers estimated in the 5-10,000 range and the dollar issue, not to mention its already been tabbed as a "halo" car for Chevrolet, I seriously doubt you will see any "deals" on the SS. Our only hope is that when the '16/7 MY comes out on the "global" platform it will be produced in NA also, thus lowering the cost and making the potential of greater availability.:rolleyes:

#17 · (Edited)
I purchased my G8 GXP for around 1k under sticker and it was 1 of 1,829. With the release of the SS, I think prices will exceed Msrp at first but after 6 months or so it'll become another car on the lot that just needs to get moved like any other.

The strength of the Aus dollar will upset the price which sucks. It doesn't seem that long ago 70 cents US got you an Aussie dollar, now it takes 1.03 US give or take. That's a massive swing.

#19 ·
\Mark Reuss said:
In addition to being a focused car, it will be relatively exclusive, with an initial annual production run in the 5000 to 10,000 range
I guess whatever the market demands. I don't think Holden is interested in selling a few at a premium price. They're (Holden) "all in" and will want to move as many as possible. Like I said, I'm sure the first ones over will be sold over sticker or at least not discounted from MSRP but over time it'll level off and deals will be worked like any other.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'm just having a tough time figuring out how big of a market would spend perhaps 50k on a Chevy sedan. It'll be interesting.

#20 ·
SRT8 300's - we have them here. They are just a bit smaller than a cruise liner, go quick in a straight line, but forget corners. Commodores are heavy, but 300's are lardy monsters.

SRT8 4,430lbs AUD66k 5 speed auto only

HSV Senator (as a true comparison, rather than a Holden Calais / SS) 4,068lbs AUD87k 6 speed auto, 6 speed manual available, better economy, etc, etc........

I'd stretch to the HSV if I was given the choice.

#21 · (Edited)
IF they don't price the SS right, people will just buy something else.
I HATE F*rd. I want a sedan. (I REALLY want AWD).
But, if GM doesn't price the SS right (and offer AWD as an OPTION), I will just buy the next Mustang GT that FINALLY gets a independent rear suspension.

Worst case scenario, I will trade 2 cars in my stable for a 2013 Audi S6 or GTR.

#23 ·
IF they don't price the SS right, people will just buy something else.
I HATE F*rd. I want a sedan. (I REALLY want AWD).
But, if GM doesn't price the SS right (and offer AWD as an OPTION), I will just buy the next Mustang GT that FINALLY gets a independent rear suspension.

Worst case scenario, I will trade 2 cars in my stable for a 2013 Audi S6 or GTR.
There is no way the SS will offer AWD; there hasn't even been rumors of an AWD chassis. AWD isn't something you can just add to a model. There's years of research/design/developement behind it. Surely we would've heard some ramblings by now.

Why so hung up an AWD?

#24 ·
I already know a dealer that DOESN'T mark up above MSRP, period. So nobody should pay above sticker. If you can get it cheaper than that, AWESOME!

As far as 'Who would pay $50k for a chevy'?
<----raises hand.
I'm not buying a typical 'Chevy'. Who would pay six figures for a Corvette? Just because it has a chevy badge doesn't mean it has to be cheap. I have a G8, and my dad has a CTS-V (wagon). The SS interior looks to be on-par with the cadillac in teh interior department. The car is bigger than the CTS, and if it has the LSA....

well anyways...I never thought I would own a Pontiac, but I absolutely love my G8. even I recognize badge engineering. I believe the SS will hold it's own.

#25 ·
Oh, and Chevy has been clear, they will make you one if you want one. They haven't set a limit, so I expect a bunch to be special order. They still speculate that only 5,000/yr will be imported. I keep hearing people re-quote that one article that states a V6 option...I hope not. Keep it true to the name, only have a LT1 or LSA (or surprise us with a LTA)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.