Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet debuted what could casually be called a four-door Corvette this weekend when it unveiled its new SS sedan.

As Chevrolet’s take on Australia’s Holden Commodore, the SS has a potent LS3 V8 with 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque with an estimated sub five second 0-60 time.

Even before the car reaches dealers, rumors of a possible second version are trickling onto the internet. While there won’t be a ute version – Aussie for a small truck – GM CEO Mark Reuss said the door is still open for a wagon version that would sit above the sedan in price.

Before it was discontinued, Pontiac also sold a re-badged version of the Commodore as the G8, and a wagon was a part of that car’s product plan as well. While Chevrolet hasn’t released official word of such a car, it would be an easy step to take should the SS prove to be a hit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it was up to me to buy an american performance wagon it would be a Cadillac CTS wagon or CTS-V wagon. Why not have the performance and luxury all in one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If no Ute, next best thing for me would be a wagon. I've been using my '96 Roadmaster wagon (LT1 with NO woodgrain) as a daily driver for the past almost 5 years. Not thrilled about a Caddy wagon for me even though 556 h.p. makes it a force to be respected. An SS wagon?, **** yes!

·
Registered
173 Posts
If no Ute, next best thing for me would be a wagon. I've been using my '96 Roadmaster wagon (LT1 with NO woodgrain) as a daily driver for the past almost 5 years. Not thrilled about a Caddy wagon for me even though 556 h.p. makes it a force to be respected. An SS wagon?, **** yes!
Not against you not wanting a Cadillac CTS/CTS-V wagon but why not? What do you not like about it? Why a CTS/CTS-V wagon over a Chevrolet SS wagon?

Just curious, not trying to start a war just in case i come off as that. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm currently working on a good customer's '04 Caddy sedan. Even going back 8-9 years ago, all the usual top of the GM heap standard equipment in it just dosen't appeal to me. I'm not a Caddy type of guy, just a "grass roots" auto body mechanic. I can do without all the typical Caddy glitz and do-dads , plus not big on their edgy styling.

I've owned a lot of GM cars since owning my first car back in '73 (soon to be 58 next month). Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Buicks, never a Caddy.

Steve

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm currently working on a good customer's '04 Caddy sedan. Even going back 8-9 years ago, all the usual top of the GM heap standard equipment in it just dosen't appeal to me. I'm not a Caddy type of guy, just a "grass roots" auto body mechanic. I can do without all the typical Caddy glitz and do-dads , plus not big on their edgy styling.

I've owned a lot of GM cars since owning my first car back in '73 (soon to be 58 next month). Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Buicks, never a Caddy.

Steve
I agree with you on Cadillac's from that era. Back when the Escalade came out in 04 I love it, there was a ton of hype surrounding it especially with rappers picking up their very own escalade lol. But that hype quickly died.

I do like the new Cadillac's, the current Escalade is impressive, but nothing like other premium SUV's from European brands.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looking at all the European "shooting brake" and "estate" wagons, and seeing how sporty they look with a roof sloping down towards the rear, I think it'd be cool if Holden/Chevrolet did this with the VF Commodore/Chevy SS. Too late for them to consider it but who knows, maybe we'll see this in the future.

Always loved how the mercedes benz CLS Shooting brake looked...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been away from this site for a while, but wanted to see if anyone was getting their SS's yet.
I saw this thread about the wagon and had to comment.
First, it would be cool to have a wagon of the SS.
I have a 2011 Caprice PPV and love it.
When we went looking, I decided I couldn't afford the SS.
We looked at the LaCross and decided to not buy a FWD sedan.
(and it was kinda not my style)
I looked at a 2yr old CTS wagon.
It was beautiful looking and had a lot of nice features.
But one of the main reasons we wanted a wagon, or a bigger sedan, was I needed a bigger back seat.
The CTS wagon has the same C pillar as the sedan, and basically you have to duck to get under it to get in the car. The back seat was smaller than my old 94 Caprice wagon.
Then we finally found the PPV and sat in the back, it was HUGE!
People who have G8s have told me they like the big back seat in their car, even though it 4" shorter than the PPV.
So I'm guessing the back seat in the Commodore wagon is the same size as the SS sedan.
I'm happy with my car now, and I don't think I'd be able to afford a new SS wagon anyway, but just thought I'd add my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I've been away from this site for a while, but wanted to see if anyone was getting their SS's yet.
But one of the main reasons we wanted a wagon, or a bigger sedan, was I needed a bigger back seat.
The CTS wagon has the same C pillar as the sedan, and basically you have to duck to get under it to get in the car. The back seat was smaller than my old 94 Caprice wagon.
People who have G8s have told me they like the big back seat in their car, even though it 4" shorter than the PPV.
So I'm guessing the back seat in the Commodore wagon is the same size as the SS sedan.
I'm happy with my car now, and I don't think I'd be able to afford a new SS wagon anyway, but just thought I'd add my opinion.

Would you still consider getting an SS? Even if it's a year from now, brand new, or even used?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I probably wont buy another new car, too expensive.
I might consider an SS wagon after the PPV is paid off.

I'm also considering selling my 71 pickup that's been sitting in the garage in pieces and buying a running classic car.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I probably wont buy another new car, too expensive.
I might consider an SS wagon after the PPV is paid off.

I'm also considering selling my 71 pickup that's been sitting in the garage in pieces and buying a running classic car.
Good choice, SS Wagon will be something unique and no as common in the U.S. once it's out. It should turn heads and hopefully gets picked up by Callaway or some top tier tuner

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the main reason I'm still interested in the SS. There are other sedans that look similar on paper or might have the same number of seating positions, but I need to fit 3 carseats in the thing and that ain't gonna happen in a G37.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am thinking if GM is already letting it be known that the 2015s will have a clutch and magnetic suspension, now is the time that the wagon would be disclosed. Oh well, I'm not waiting until 2016.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I would have heard about it by now if it was happening. Although I know it is doable as LHD Pilot Sportwagons and Utes went down the production line last year but nothing since the Closure announcement :( If the SS is to get MRC then we should have a better idea with the rumoured Redline special edition that I've been hearing about which is to get an LS3

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would have heard about it by now if it was happening. Although I know it is doable as LHD Pilot Sportwagons and Utes went down the production line last year but nothing since the Closure announcement :( If the SS is to get MRC then we should have a better idea with the rumoured Redline special edition that I've been hearing about which is to get an LS3
Thats what I like to hear . Even if they don't make it here to the U.S. it's cool to see that it could be a possibility .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts