Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Awhile back on a whim, I researched if anyone had done a manual swap on an SS. I didn't find any conclusive evidence that one had been done, but that's not my concern. I was wondering "what if." So, I decided to pull an OEM parts list of what it would take to manual swap an SS.

Now, I am NOT advocating for or against doing this. There's lots of reasons why one would, or why one would not do this. I could care less; but for posterity and in attempt to serve the community, here it is. Enjoy!

Oh, and please do share if I missed anything and I'll update the document; also it's 22 individual parts (not counting hardware duplication) and comes to a total of $9,007.67

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Bill Bond it would seem so, but not particularly. I do this kind stuff to relax in the evenings. Beats watching TV. The other day I compiled a list of the largest late model 4-piston calipers easily found re-manufactured. A lot of my friends with custom track cars use the info to piece together a "big brake kit" without spending $3-5k. In short, I guess I just really have "the sickness."

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Does the pedal assembly also include the plate for the firewall to mount the clutch master cylinder to the firewall?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello everyone,

Awhile back on a whim, I researched if anyone had done a manual swap on an SS. I didn't find any conclusive evidence that one had been done, but that's not my concern. I was wondering "what if." So, I decided to pull an OEM parts list of what it would take to manual swap an SS.

Now, I am NOT advocating for or against doing this. There's lots of reasons why one would, or why one would not do this. I could care less; but for posterity and in attempt to serve the community, here it is. Enjoy!

Oh, and please do share if I missed anything and I'll update the document; also it's 22 individual parts (not counting hardware duplication) and comes to a total of $9,007.67
I assume the clutch disc is part of the pressure plate cost? I'm also curious which modules need to be replaced/added/re-programmed. There are probably some big costs there.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Has anyone done this? What about the electronic/computer changes?

I'm sure the answer is much the same as people asking the same thing about the G8, or even G8 V6 to V8. It's always cheaper/easier to just sell what you have and get what you want.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do know that this question arose on the CTS-V Board and it was determined to be extremely difficult and cost prohibitive on the Cadillac; maybe the Holdens are different??

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,858 Posts
I do know that this question arose on the CTS-V Board and it was determined to be extremely difficult and cost prohibitive on the Cadillac; maybe the Holdens are different??
Me-sah don't think so.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the questions, everyone. Some things for me to hunt down, so I'll keep ya'll updated.

This is TrackRat
I laughed pretty hard at this. Thanks for sharing!
Does the pedal assembly also include the plate for the firewall to mount the clutch master cylinder to the firewall?
I have been unable to validate this. I suppose it would be presumptuous to say the firewall in the auto is exactly the same as in all manual, and provides the proper pass throughs for the clutch master linkage. I will have to look deeper into this.

I assume the clutch disc is part of the pressure plate cost? I'm also curious which modules need to be replaced/added/re-programmed. There are probably some big costs there.
I was unable to find a "clutch disc" on any of the OEM online catalogs for GM, so my assumption was it's included with the pressure plate. That said, I am visiting my local Cadillac dealer next week and will swing by parts and ask.

I'm sure the answer is much the same as people asking the same thing about the G8, or even G8 V6 to V8. It's always cheaper/easier to just sell what you have and get what you want.
It's a tough proposition when you take into consideration time, energy and money, I think it will be a decade or more before this could be considered as "worth it," and that's assuming the prices go down and there aren't the "electronic gaps" mentioned by folks here. I have made a few additional assumptions, however, reviewing the GM parts catalog (online only, not via their official "intranet" portal in a dealer);

Looking through the body module, ECU, and wiring harness sections of the catalog, I could only find variances in the wiring harness, in terms of manual specific part numbers. My further assumption though, since items like the ECU are shared across 114 different model variances in the GM lineup, is that you would need a factory tune for the manual. My guess is this would disable things like remote start. I'm also not sure if that tune can be accessed off the shelf with HP tuners, or if you'd need to send you ECU to GM to have it flashed with the right tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Commadore uses a universal firewall so there is no real difference between a manual or auto, they both have the same hookup locations through out. Also you would need to swap out the rear gear ratio as the Autos had 3.27 and the manuals 3.70 unless you don't mind having your speedo's read wrong. I'll be like a lot of others just buy a manual one and save yourself a lot of headaches and future problems down the road.

A few people converted a few Marauders over to 5 speeds and they constantly had problems trying to get everything to sync up back in 2007-12 time frame. Also look up the Roush Cobra Vic and the problems they had in building the 18 that was sent to Bondurant race school as track familiarity chase cars (Where students would be taken around the course to see where the racing line and braking zones was) Before transfering to Mustang Cobras for their track sessions.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts
30% of all SS came with manual, not 2% like most cars. Better to just find a manual.
I believe it is right at 20%, for a total of 2625 bolt action SS's. That being said, I too would just look for one of those. I must admit however that my dream SS would involve a '14 with what I consider to be the best SS suspension out there, combined with a manual transmission from later years...

·
Registered
2015 Mystic Green Metallic (wife's car)
4 Posts
Track Rat--I'm not interested in changing my 2015 to a standard transmission (autos faster in 1/4 according to testing) but, I'd love to have any information you have on the four piston caliber brakes (or six piston front). Building an 87 "box" Chevy pickup inherited from my Dad. Bigger brakes are a planned upgrade. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Belated Welcome to the SS Forums @Hooker06 !!

Likely,,, there will be better info on brake conversions for that square box 87 over on one of the Chevy Pickup forums,, but I am sure our knowledgeable members will chime in with some of their wisdom on the topic!!

Good Luck!!

ES

1 - 20 of 26 Posts