Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way you can tell if an SS has been involved in an accident and repaired even though Carfax shows no accidents? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Depending on where you think it might have been hit, you can check under the hood and in the trunk under the carpet to see if there are indications of panel repair. If you put it on a lift, there my be indications of repair under the car, depending on the damage. I don't know if there's a way to check for body filler on any of the panels.

You could also check the other services that does what Carfax does.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You cannot trust Carfax.
I have purchased two used cars that obviously had repaired damaged, but nothing on the Carfax.
On one of them someone really tried to hide the damage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One thing I've seen dealers do to check for repaint is to run a finger down the edges of the panels. Rear of the hood, edges of the doors and trunk. A factory paint job will be smooth around the edges. If you feel a rough edge it indicates a repaint.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Take the car to a quality body shop and they can tell you more accurately than most anyone whether or not there has been body work done. You may have to pay them for their time to inspect the car, but if you are really concerned about it, it will be well worth the reassurance.

$0.02

·
Registered
790 Posts
there is a paint thickness measuring guage
i have always looked for paint on hardware, nuts/bolts ect, can almost always tell when removed/installed. Carfax reports only the info that is available and reported. Say someone hit a deer and didn't want to claim insurance, no reports filed with PD or DMV then nothing will show up. Same with maintance stuff, some dealers write/report what was done others write checked this or that. If buying from a dealer they can pull records to show why car was there, carfax is just a tool.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Carfax is consumer-grade data - as noted above, not so reliable....

The industry uses several sources for accurate data. Body shops are easy resource. You can also have dealer run a report - most have time on their hands right now - just be ready for avalanche of sales pitches to follow!!

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can also check with your insurance agent. When we bought my wife's 2014 Enclave with an "AutoCheck" report, there were a couple of things in the past, but nothing major. My agent's assistant ran through a laundry list of past issues that neither report had on them. I think all cars have "loss runs" if they've been in accidents. May be worth a call.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Take the car to a quality body shop and they can tell you more accurately than most anyone whether or not there has been body work done. You may have to pay them for their time to inspect the car, but if you are really concerned about it, it will be well worth the reassurance.

$0.02
You have that right! It took no more than 10 minutes before the body guy I use found issues on the first SS I purchased. Texas dealer had no idea (of course) that the car had had damage. Traded me up to a 17M, which tells you a lot!

Reactions: good2go and z51vett

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
My Carfax is clean. It should not be.

Reactions: good2go

·
Super Moderator
14,446 Posts
The main VIN tag is the metal plate on the inner fender partially covered by the air filter box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts