Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on this, but could use some help…My SS (2017 with 11K miles) has a check engine light that keeps going on and off repeatedly and has caused me to fail the emissions test. It always shows the same three codes: codes are (P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A circuit Range/Performance; P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1; and P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2). I’ve taken it to the Chevy dealer 3 times and the mechanic says that after extensive testing and evaluation, he sees nothing wrong…no air leak and he says that he was able to confirm that the MAF is working fine. He also checked other things that he said were fine (I think O2 sensor and air filter). He’s reluctant to change out the MAF bc he said it’s expensive ($750 for just the part) and he doubts it will fix the problem. I also took it to a guy in the area who is a GM master mechanic who specializes in Holden cars (had a bunch of G8s, SSs, Caprices at his shop). He kept it for 3 days, did a bunch of tests and said he can‘t find anything wrong. Car is stock except for short throw shifter and various exterior parts, no tune. Car runs perfectly fine.. really strange. The only other thing wrong with the car is that when my right rear tire started to go flat (nail), the car insisted that the problem was with the left rear tire.

Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Search P0171 and P0174, several suggestions and solutions found there. I always search for bread crumbs with sticky problems. And as my job has me trouble shoot, I learned one rule in troubleshooting. Don't tell me you checked it, show me how you checked it. Quick read points to many possible. Watch a few youtube vids and make a punch list. Here is one to start...

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
Cheap relearn tools on flea Bay or chinazon to program tpms. As for the other, clean the maf, check the filter, look for cracks in pcv line or nipple on intake cracks. Double check all the silicone fittings, vacuum lines etc. How's your battery?

·
Registered
2016 PBM Auto
139 Posts
I had a similar problem recently. My check engine light was off and on while throwing the same codes for about a month. The car drove fine. As it turns out the metal band that connects the air intake to the engine was loose causing unmetered air to enter the engine. No codes since it was tightened up.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Did the master tech elaborate on “a bunch of tests”? On its own that is not much help. There is a limited set of conditions that can cause these codes - did he test for them all and how?

Per 15Supersport did he test the battery?

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
2016 Stock - Sunroof, Inflator, Manual Trans and Brake Squeal
118 Posts
When I had a similar issue (and warranty) I took my SS to the dealer. Days went by and 'many' tests run. Most notable were the 16 hard accelerations to an auto parts store and back.
Got my SS back and replaced the MAF sensor for $60 and 45 minutes of my day. Faults gone.
I probably could have cleaned it as the removed sensor was black, but it was my first MAF swap and I wanted a spare.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
What are you running for gasoline? Brand and octane, and freshness at the selling station.

In August last year I enjoyed an invigorating day of exercising the car at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, road course. Car ran superlatively.

Stopped for gasoline off track (bad move I think) and filled up with "93 octane" premium.

Started throwing codes within 15 miles.

lean left bank (I forget which code that is)
lean right bank ( ditto)

I cleaned the MAF, having a wet Air Raid filter cone in front of it.
No change.

Brought it to my local fixit guy, very good at what he does.

His diagnosis panther pee was pumped from the premium pump at the off track station.

After a tank of "top tier" 93 octane went through the car, the codes went away, and have not returned.

When I had the codes the performance was seemingly 100% normal, but once I scanned the codes and saw lean on both banks, I went for professional help.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,132 Posts
After reading all of this, it sounds like the MAF sensor.

You don't have an oiled filter, do you?

Reactions: ESindon and wilkin4

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the same codes and similar mileage at the time. Would clear the code and it would pop back up after a while. A replacement of the MAF sensor took care of it. It took a few visits to the dealer as they didn’t want to just throw parts at it.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
After reading all of this, it sounds like the MAF sensor.

You don't have an oiled filter, do you?
One main reason I use a dry filter in my Rotofab.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the great input. I'll have to get more details from the mechanic about exactly what he checked - but he seemed to be confident that there were no air leaks. The filter is a dry one. I heard about the gas issue (panther pee) and I've only put 93 octane in the car, but most often from a Royal Farms near by - maybe that's a problem. Also, very happy to hear that an MAF sensor change shouldn't cost so much...maybe I need to go to a different Chevy dealership, since this one seemed to think it should be expensive... Thanks again everyone for the great input - gives me lots of ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts