Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but can't find any information on Chassis Control Module problems for our cars. Yesterday, I drove to Lowe's completed my shopping, walked (around 3:00pm) to my car and fired it up. The engine turned over and started but immediately started sputtering and shut off. I didn't see any check engine or warning lights. I restarted the vehicle and the same thing happened. This happened on three startups. The fourth attempt it did not start. I pushed the OnStar button (roadside assistance) and asked the rep to run a diagnostic on my vehicle. The OnStar rep stated that the diagnostic revealed fuel and exhaust issues. I requested a tow vehicle. The OnStar rep then stated someone will be sent out to tow me to the local Chevy dealership. Fast forward to 6:45pm - 4 tow trucks later. The tow trucks all refused to load my vehicle because they all only had standard tow hooks and I refused to let them wheel lift my car. Around 6:40pm the last tow truck driver asked if he could try to start my vehicle, it started and ran smoothly. The check engine light stayed on. I told him I would drive it the 3 miles to the dealership. I took my vehicle to the dealer filled out the form and placed my key in the drop box (dealership was closed). The service tech called me this morning and told me that I have a bad Chassis Control Module and it will cost me about $550 to replace it because it's not covered under warranty. The service tech told me "this is a common occurrence on these engines." Anyone else have experienced this with their car?

Diagnostic report:
Dear R C,
Here are the results of your recent On-Demand Diagnostic request on your 2017 Chevrolet SS.
Module Diagnostic Code Diagnostic Information Recommended Action
VIU - OnStar System None No Error Code Found None
BOI - Bulb Outage Indicators None No Error Code Found None
SDM - Airbag System None No Error Code Found None
ABS - Braking and Stability System None No Error Code Found None
ECM - Engine System P0171 The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs. Service within 7 days
ECM - Engine System P0174 The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs. Service within 7 days
ECM - Engine System P069E The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Fuel Management System used to maintain, control and monitor fuel consumption. If the check engine light is flashing, a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and could damage the emission control system on the vehicle. Please reduce vehicle speed, avoid hard accelerations, avoid steep uphill grades, and reduce any cargo loads such as a trailer. If the vehicle is continually driven with the check engine light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, and the engine might not run as smoothly. This could lead to future repairs. Service within 1 day
Maintenance Information
• Odometer: 27371 Miles
• Remaining Oil Life: 84%
If you require Roadside Assistance, please contact (866) 415-5838.
Please bring this email with you if you go for service.
Last 8 characters of VIN: HL312592
Please see your dealer for service.
LOWE CHEVROLET, INC.
103 LOWE DRIVE,
WAYNESVILLE, MO 65583
+15737743141
To keep your vehicle performing at its full potential, we recommend using Genuine GM components for maintenance and repairs. The Vehicle Diagnostics service was developed using Genuine GM components and it is possible that using non-GM components may set false service messages.

Vehicle: 2017 SSB, 27371 miles, Automatic. Mods: Rotofab (dry filter) intake only.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
FYI: The "Chassis Control Module" used to be called the "Fuel Pump Control Module"

I have no idea why they changed the name.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The name change is interesting. The name had me confused so I had to conducted a little research on the subject. Which revealed that numerous 2013-14 Chevrolet, GMC & Cadillac SUV's, several Trucks, Vans and the Cadillac CTS were recalled for the Chassis Control Module. I went and talked to the service rep face to face. I discussed what I find out after my research. The service rep listened with interest and told me there wasn't anything out for this module on the SS. I explained that this was a GM vehicle too. My logic; The module was the same one that was recalled on the other vehicles so why wouldn't it be covered on my vehicle? But, you know how the conversation ended. I will be forking over the cash for the module once it arrives and is installed. So. until then my car is at the dealership awaiting the part.

·
Registered
2016 M6
17 Posts
I had symptoms like that and the P069E code, ended up being a burned pin in the plug that goes into the fuel pump. Mine's a 2016, seems like it is more common on earlier models. I got a new fuel pump harness pigtail and fuel pump and that fixed the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts