Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to doing this on my car....regretting I waited this long.?

Car was my M-F daily driver from November '17 to September of this year. Put 38k miles on it. Nearly all of it on sh*tty CA roads in traffic. As such...the front bumper got pretty hammered by sand/rocks/small debris. From afar it doesn't look bad, but up close....mmmm, yeah.:eek: It being a PBM car only makes it worse.

Now looking to get the front bumper resprayed before it gets Ceramic coated and then Clear Bra applied. The respray is going to run $1k on top of the price for the clear bra and the ceramic coating. Beyond just venting my thoughts on this I guess I'm just putting it out there for others....if you're contemplating doing this, do it sooner than later.

Carry on....?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Doesnt the paint have to cure for a month to off gas? Hope its not a dd now.
I have clear bra and ceramic coating on mine luckily the first owner was anal and taped it up at the dealer new and drove it straight to the xpel dealer

it might have two nicks that made it through the film. Or hopefully just hit hard and made a slight bubble in the film to make it look like a paint chip

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesnt the paint have to cure for a month to off gas? Hope its not a dd now.
I have clear bra and ceramic coating on mine luckily the first owner was anal and taped it up at the dealer new and drove it straight to the xpel dealer

it might have two nicks that made it through the film. Or hopefully just hit hard and made a slight bubble in the film to make it look like a paint chip
Need to ask the installer about waiting the 30 days for the paint to cure. Saw that on Suntek's website.

Thankfully....No, it's not a DD anymore. Bought a '11 Infiniti M37s in September to be my daily. SS is now a fun/weekend car. Probably occasionally drive it to work just to keep it in use as there are weekends I'm not home or too busy to even drive it. I'm the original owner on the SS and I thought about doing all this right after I got it. But....got busy and life carried on. Next thing you know it's 2 years later. Lucky me, now I get to pay the stupid tax. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had to wait until 3k miles to get my clear bra done and it acquired some pretty bad chips in that time. I can't imagine what it would look like now if I hadn't had it done.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I’m surprised your hood doesn’t need touch up too. My hood looks worse than my bumper cover.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m surprised your hood doesn’t need touch up too. My hood looks worse than my bumper cover.
I'm surprised too. Hood is in actually pretty good condition. Few small marks but they'll come out in the paint correction process. Just goes to show that if you do nearly any amount of freeway driving you had better expect for your ride to get wear and tear like this.

I'm still on the fence if I'm going to do the bumper respray and clear bra now or wait. Adding those costs in with the ceramic is a big amount to swallow right now. Leaning towards just biting the bullet and doing it all now but man.....

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I wish I'd had the ceramic coating done first week I owned my SS, what a difference it makes in keeping her clean. I never did the front end mask, probably should have but luckily I don't DD my SS.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Consequence of using it. I have little up front. And most are on drivers side windshield post.
Nature is throwing rocks. I can't stand those spots that look at me every time I look at the car.
Those are "time to get painted", spots.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consequence of using it. I have little up front. And most are on drivers side windshield post.
Nature is throwing rocks. I can't stand those spots that look at me every time I look at the car.
Those are "time to get painted", spots.
absolutely right. Seeing those spots drives me nuts and if I'm spending the money to get it ceramic coated....might as well spend more and get it done right.

Speaking of using it, there were times that the sheer joy the car brought to me by driving it was the only thing keeping me sane during my 58 mile, 2-2.5 hour commute at times. So no regrets there.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Finally getting around to doing this on my car....regretting I waited this long.

Car was my M-F daily driver from November '17 to September of this year. Put 38k miles on it. Nearly all of it on sh*tty CA roads in traffic. As such...the front bumper got pretty hammered by sand/rocks/small debris. From afar it doesn't look bad, but up close....mmmm, yeah.:eek: It being a PBM car only makes it worse.

Now looking to get the front bumper resprayed before it gets Ceramic coated and then Clear Bra applied. The respray is going to run $1k on top of the price for the clear bra and the ceramic coating. Beyond just venting my thoughts on this I guess I'm just putting it out there for others....if you're contemplating doing this, do it sooner than later.

Carry on....
Just an idea. I have a PBM with a clear bra. My bumper did not look good enough to me before installing bra. Was close to spraying it, but a wet sand if the bumper along with some Dr. Colorchip made everything go away. To my surprise, the remaining spots (that I probably only noticed) became invisible with once the clear film was installed. Just something to consider. Obviously, this will depend on the extent of your road knicks. Good luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been a while and wanted to post up details. I dropped the car off on 12/10 and finally got it back on 1/22. The Holidays played hell with the schedule and I was pretty lenient on getting the car back as it's not my DD anymore...so I let the schedule slide some. The shop that did it was GREAT and really did an excellent job on it. The owner did nearly all the work himself and he really treated the car like it was his own. His shop was always full with some amazing cars (Bentleys, GT350's, Viper ACR, Rolls Royce) but he honestly gave mine the same level of attention as those. Stoked to say, it came out better than I had hoped. I ended up getting the front bumper re sprayed, went with the lifetime Ceramic Pro coating over the entire car (including all glass, calipers, wheels including inner barrels), clear bra on entire front of car, 1/3rd of the hood, front mirrors, lid below trunk and pockets behind door handles.

Now some pictures....really tried to show how the surface of the car is now like a mirror.
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0170.jpg IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0170.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry....my picture posting still leaves a bit to be desired. :rolleyes:

Also...some of the "flecks" you see in the photos are dust/lint on the paint but a lot are actually the metallic flakes in the paint. Wasn't till the paint actually got "corrected" by him that they really started to show up and be visible for nearly the first time on the car. The factory paint leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It's amazing what a good paint correction can do. Do you know if they ceramic coated over the clear bra?

Off topic: is your car as stock ride height? Stock tire size?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's amazing what a good paint correction can do. Do you know if they ceramic coated over the clear bra?

Off topic: is your car as stock ride height? Stock tire size?
Thank you...and yes I agree...amazing what paint correction can do for a car. Yes, they ceramic coated over the clear bra.

Car is stock ride height. Not stock tire or wheel size though. Running 20X9 up front and 20x10.5 out back with 265/35R20 up front and 305/30R20 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Finally getting around to doing this on my car....regretting I waited this long.?

Carry on....?
I have a PBM as well. Wow! That reflection is sweet! Love the wheels as well. Would you mind sharing where you got them and the size? Thanks for sharing the photos!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a PBM as well. Wow! That reflection is sweet! Love the wheels as well. Would you mind sharing where you got them and the size? Thanks for sharing the photos!
Sizes are above and there is more info in my post in the tire & wheel directory. Here:

I bought the wheels from Norcal SS Customs. Great and knowledgable shop easy purchase. Would recommend again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had XPEL PPF on the front end, hood, and quarters, and ceramic everywhere else. The XPEL is supposed to be good for 10 years.

The ceramic was supposed to last two years and it barely lasted one. It's my daily driver, but it's garaged at home and work. All washing by hand, too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had XPEL PPF on the front end, hood, and quarters, and ceramic everywhere else. The XPEL is supposed to be good for 10 years.

The ceramic was supposed to last two years and it barely lasted one. It's my daily driver, but it's garaged at home and work. All washing by hand, too.
That sucks to hear. Did you do the ceramic coating or have it done by a shop? If by a shop, I'd be back there asking questions and having them correct it at their cost.

OP, what ceramic product was used?

SS looks great!
Went with Ceramic Pro 9H gold package. It's their lifetime application. I take it in every year for them to inspect and touch up any areas that may need it. Car is not my DD anymore and lives in the garage. Hoping this keeps it looking nice for years to come.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That sucks to hear. Did you do the ceramic coating or have it done by a shop? If by a shop, I'd be back there asking questions and having them correct it at their cost.

It's a high-end shop and they've been good about other things, so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts