Chevy SS Forum banner

Ceramic Brake pads

59K views 122 replies 49 participants last post by  Navy Lifer 
#1 ·
Hey SS bros,

So I got really tired of having to clean the front wheels after every drive. It seems like chrome is a magnet to semi-metallic brake pads. Especially the ones in the SS.

Anyway, I ordered ceramic brake pads (rockauto) and will be trying them on soon. I've done my research and though a few people may say that they wear out the rotors quicker, I'm willing to try them out. Anyone done this yet? I have ceramic brake pads in my beater car and have yet to replace them after at least 2 years... Also, barely any brake dust.

Opinions and experience welcome! Thanks.

-Hadder

#3 ·
I switched to ceramic pads on my Trailblazer SS for the exact same reason, and was very happy with the results. The wheels would stay clean looking for weeks rather than hours. I am going to look into doing the same for the SS, it's good to know there are ceramic pads available.

The OEMS are definitely semi-metallic. Manufacturers have switched to ceramic for mainstream cars, but just about every performance oriented car uses semi-metallic as it does provide better ultimate performance although in street driving, I have found ceramics to be excellent without any noticeable reduction in braking performance.

#6 ·
Part number

Front ceramic brake pads part# 16-474 or 16474 (rockauto). They also have the rear ones but my rear wheels seem to stay clean so I'm just going with the front. I confirmed with the dealer that the current front stock pads are indeed semi-metallic

#8 ·
What are some of the options for the rear? I'm planning on ordering the ceramic pads to go on the front and put them on when I take my winter tires off (if this winter ever ends :shrug:).

Is there any changes in maintenance for the ceramic brake pads? JEGS, which had the best price at $39.99, is trying to up-sell me on some ceramic brake lubricant when I add the brakes to my cart.

#9 ·
rear ceramic pads

Powerstop Evolution Ceramic (same brand as front)
More Information for POWER STOP 161352
More Information for POWER STOP 171352 w/hardware

Raybestos
More Information for RAYBESTOS ATD1352C
More Information for RAYBESTOS PGD1352C

Centric
More Information for CENTRIC 10513520

Further comments (this is just me talking):

GM works very hard to come up with a pad package for every vehicle that meets all required performance parameters. The use of alternate pads, all which have claims about their performance or other superior characteristics, have not typically been validated or vetted by the vehicle manufacturer.

Generally aftermarket pads will cost less until the really high-performance pads (ie. racing formulations) are considered. GM "production" pads are more expensive, and in many cases the cost is partially a reflection of whether some hardware may be included, which is not always the case with aftermarket pad packaging. Other factors regarding the cost difference(s) include the production volume of the vehicle, thus the specific pad(s) used are impacted by how many pieces a supplier is going to make to satisfy the production run and replacement stock of that part by specific PN--fewer cars produced, higher cost per brake pad set for the low-production SS.

Aftermarket sources can generally offer pads that fit for less because in many cases there is commonality on another vehicle that uses the same caliper or at least the same pad as identified by FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute), even if the various OEM's have specific friction specs for their versions, the aftermarket will make a more generic friction formulation and put it in their catalog(s) as fitting several different vehicles which happen to use a common caliper family--this is becoming very common with the Brembo calipers that so many OEM's are now using.

FWIW, here's the GM front production pad PN for the SS Brembo brakes:
92291022 - List price is $308.77, dealer cost is $186.56

What gets me riled is that so many owners (I'm not pointing fingers, just making an observation) shop brake pads, rotors, and other brake & undercar parts by price rather than quality or whether the parts are at least equivalent to OE or better.

In the case of the SS, a $45K car (my first home in 1975 was $41K by way of comparison) that can run 150MPH+ and weighs about 3900#, I would want to be SURE that I'm using the best possible components in the brake system--even if they create some nuisance noises or make more dust than I'd like.....but that's just me.

Off soapbox.....

#20 · (Edited)
Further comments (this is just me talking):

GM works very hard to come up with a pad package for every vehicle that meets all required performance parameters. The use of alternate pads, all which have claims about their performance or other superior characteristics, have not typically been validated or vetted by the vehicle manufacturer.

Generally aftermarket pads will cost less until the really high-performance pads (ie. racing formulations) are considered. GM "production" pads are more expensive, and in many cases the cost is partially a reflection of whether some hardware may be included, which is not always the case with aftermarket pad packaging. Other factors regarding the cost difference(s) include the production volume of the vehicle, thus the specific pad(s) used are impacted by how many pieces a supplier is going to make to satisfy the production run and replacement stock of that part by specific PN--fewer cars produced, higher cost per brake pad set for the low-production SS.

Aftermarket sources can generally offer pads that fit for less because in many cases there is commonality on another vehicle that uses the same caliper or at least the same pad as identified by FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute), even if the various OEM's have specific friction specs for their versions, the aftermarket will make a more generic friction formulation and put it in their catalog(s) as fitting several different vehicles which happen to use a common caliper family--this is becoming very common with the Brembo calipers that so many OEM's are now using.

FWIW, here's the GM front production pad PN for the SS Brembo brakes:
92291022 - List price is $308.77, dealer cost is $186.56
Exactly!

Lining materials and brake systems are highly tested/validated and also the performance of such is incorporated into the stabilitrac and anti lock software.

Change friction/performance change more than dust!

What mfr is going to say their pads don't stop as well as OEM?

Aftermarket consolidates p/n's ie: if it fits without modification and functions (not necessarily to OEM standards for the SPECIFIC install) it's a go!

Source: Confidential GM and aftermarket engineering sources and SAE papers.

#13 ·
I beleive I read somewhere on this site that the ceramic replacement pads available for our Brembo's might have a pad counterweight to wheel balancing weight clearance issue. And the member actually either moved the wheel balance weights and/or ground the pad counterweights for clearance. I could be wrong, but this has kept me from going head strong into changing them out.

Reactions: MikeC1003
#15 ·
My solution to brake dust is simple. Brown Royal wheel cleaner. I simply spray it on to the wheels before I do a wash and rinse it right off after letting it sit for about a minute. I don't touch the wheels and the inner barrels get clean too!

I was messing around with my brothers car yesterday.

About a months worth of driving on plastidipped wheels

Brown Royal applied and sprayed off, no touching of the wheels whatsoever.

IMO, there is nothing out there that can clean brake dust off better. I have used Sonax and Iron X too, but they are expensive and you still have to agitate with those cleaners.

#36 ·
Does that brown royal stuff work on chrome wheels too? Is it acid free? Just curious. I have some other stuff I used on my chrome customs and it left etch like marks or stains on the wheels. Can't get the marks off until I remove the wheels and buff and shine them with a chrome polish. Not all solutions are equal. Some of that stuff can do more harm than good.:blink:

MadchevySS

#16 ·
Just my $0.02, I've run both street and race pads from Centric and they make quality components. Most everyone will say the same thing. Worth the money if you're looking for a performance improvement. Can't comment on dust - my wheels were dark and I rarely washed them.

#19 ·
HB453Z.585 | Hawk Performance

FMSI pad specs covered:
D1001
D1016
D1050

Information for BENDIX MKD1474 (for 2014 SS & Camaro SS)

Information for PowerStop Z17 Evolution Ceramic 171050 (fits 2010-up Camaro front D1050) - pad thickness is less than FMSI spec used by Hawk, Bendix and others

There is crossover of FMSI D1050 & D1474 - 2014 SS sedan is FMSI pad spec D1474 (with dampers), and 2010-2014 Camaro SS, Bendix lists both specs - pad thickness listed as 0.614" (15.6mm) with shim vs 0.585" for Hawk pad (may not include shim thickness).

Yes, the Hawk pads will fit & work--not clear whether Hawk has not added D1474 under the same PN (HB453), or if the intent is to develop a separate spec--there is no specific cross-reference to 2014 SS. Hawk has not included the dampers on their pads--HB453 covers both 2009 G8 GXP (OE pads with no dampers) and 2010-2014 Camaro SS (OE pads with dampers).

Curious what Hawk may have to say about deletion of the dampers.

#22 ·
Fwiw I have used Hawk brake pads for many years in both Brembo and Wilwood 4 and 6 piston calipers. I would have to look up the exact compound since they offer several but I believe it's called street/track, they stop amazing, no dust at all, and unlike many performance pads do not need to be pre-heated for your brakes to work. What you don't want on the street is true track/strip only pads that have to be heated in order to work. I've done this before and would never do it again.

When I need pads for the SS I would go with Hawk just based on my positive past experiences.

#23 ·
A bit old but certainly applicable excepting for the upcoming elimination of copper and subsequent new fangled replacement materials/compositions:

http://web.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/110463.pdf

There is a LOT more to it than the marketing labeling of pads as race, street, truck, hi-performance, low dust ... ad infinitum.

Source: above document ... I save everything but only bits of it can be posted publicly.

#25 ·
I have not used them on the SS, but I am a big fan of the O'Reilly house brand. Very quiet, no dust. Great bite, long life. Had them on for about 4 years on our 2 daily drivers. Bought replacement sets, went to replace them, and in both cars I was shocked. Front ones had probably 30% wear, and the back ones maybe 10%. No issues whatsoever on those pads. We live in L A, so stop and go traffic is the norm. I rode the notorious 405 from the LAX area to the Long Beach area every single work day. Should have chewed up the pads. For daily driver, those pads are awesome.
I have had horrible luck with Raybestos' ceramic line.

#26 · (Edited)
Slotted & drilled rotors

HB453Z.585 - Hawk Performance Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
For 2014 Chevy SS

Just ordered the above to go with the stoptech slotted and drilled front sport performance rotors I ordered and will install. High performance pads with low dust.

I'll let everyone know how they perform later. Just got the rear rotors delivered. Look much better than the stock ones. Solid black rust proof coating all around and inside disk vent section.

MadchevySS:ph34r:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.