Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2016 SS about 4 months ago and have been looking into purchasing a catch can kit. I know there are already threads about catch cans but many of them are quite dated. Just wondering what people have been purchasing recently and how the install process was, difficulty wise. Mighty Mouse and Elite have caught my attention so far..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Elite (y)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just got my 2016 SS about 4 months ago and have been looking into purchasing a catch can kit. I know there are already threads about catch cans but many of them are quite dated. Just wondering what people have been purchasing recently and how the install process was, difficulty wise. Mighty Mouse and Elite have caught my attention so far..
Got the elite for the SS, super easy install, and it works very well.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I bought an Elite that was for sale on Facebook that came off a Corvette. Saved some money that way, and bought the bracket from Elite that was designed for the SS, Very happy with it.

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Elite CC here, beautiful product with excellent fit and finish/detailing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so elite is taking it by a landslide so far. I knows it’s also a very reasonably priced catch can so I’m leaning that way so far! Thank you all for the feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was it the E2 kit? E2-X? On they’re website it lists products for the corvette, GM trucks, etc.. but is GTO the correct category to look under?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it the E2 kit? E2-X? On they’re website it lists products for the corvette, GM trucks, etc.. but is GTO the correct category to look under?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I did the standard can, not the E2 or whatever. I don't feel the need for all that other crap and hoses for the clean side and check valve, waist and time and money if you ask me. Also, I don't want that crap all over my engine compartment. The standard 2 hose can works awesome anyway!
I got mine from a vendor here not from Elite's site, can't remember who but just make sure it is for the SS and you will get the right bracket. Search Catch Can in the titles and I'm sure an ad will come up with a better price than Elite's site too.
Elite lists it under standard can on their site, shows 2014+ SS. Again, you don't need the other "add-ons" like Clean side Separator and check valves.

·
Registered
559 Posts
For you guys with catch cans, how much oil are you collecting in say, 3k miles?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Good question.

I would say I have dumped maybe 3 tablespoons since I installed about 1500 miles ago.

Reactions: CorsoZ06

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I know I did search on here and got all the info I needed, so the info you want is pretty easily accessible. I believe it's the 2010+ LS3 Camaro that you want to base your order on. I got the X2, single exit port.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Stupid question: If catch cans are so important for reliable engine operation why aren't they built in by the OEM's as part of the PCV system?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Stupid question: If catch cans are so important for reliable engine operation why aren't they built in by the OEM's as part of the PCV system?
I don't think they are important, I just prefer not to have oil going into my air intake if I can avoid it. Plus I have a Shane Hinds 93 octane tune on my car, and don't need to compromise the air fuel mixture, or the possibility of carbon buildup.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well, OEMs are starting to build them in. They aren't all that important on our engines, but DI engines are a different story. Read up on the GM LGZ v6, it has a can of sorts built right into the intake valley. It has a very different PCV setup than the one before it (LFX). Coking of the back of the intake valves in the reason to use them on a DI engine.

But, like @wilkin4 posted, I don't want that oil in my intake, and I don't want my LS burning it either. There are good reasons to run them but not really "important" on a port injected engine I would say.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I haven't measured it on the SS but I have on my 2016 Colorado pickup. Just about 1oz per 1000 miles. And just FYI, it has never shown low on the stick at oil change time.
I'm going to guess it's close to that on the SS, not sure.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
@Yoram Thanks for asking that question!

I have been reading a good but lately about catch cans for my 2015 Silverado 1500 along with the AFM delete for it. Was going to search on here tonight for intel on how important a catch can is,.....what exactly they are, and or how/why it works, etc...etc

Thanks, for posing the question.

Respectfully,
Jim

Reactions: Yoram

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm a little late to this party but I have some experience with both the cans in question here
The elite can worked well for me up to about 700hp. After that I had to much crankcase pressure and I needed a can that could help with that.
I then moved to the mighty mouse can. It 100% solved my issue. A friend of mine had a similar issue and as I was moving to a more track style can so I sold him my mighty mouse and he reported that it 100% solved his issue! This was a cut and dry crankcase pressure issue in both cases that was directly solved by using the mighty mouse can with a -12 fitting on the oil fill neck.

In my opinion the mighty mouse can is the best can available for a power build without welding -10 bungs to each valve cover.
Truly a impressive product. Made in the USA by a small business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I haven’t checked on the post in about a week, but I want to thank you all for the comments. I appreciate the knowledge and help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts