Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Elite - mine is over by the remote terminals. I’m using one of the studs.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
What do you need a catch can for? Advantages?
To intercept crankcase vapors and condense them into the catch can before they do the same thing inside your intake manifold.

Basically everything on the way to the combustion chamber will slowly become coated in oil. Then the oil will catch anything that gets past the air filter.

The catch can will keep that oil from making its way into the engine.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Elite Engineering and MightyMouse are the two most popular from what I've seen on here and the FB groups. My Elite E2 is in the same area as Fedge's.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Where is the suction end of the crankcase ventilation? The traditional design is to take unfiltered air from the dirty side of the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
If it ever stops raining here I’ll go see for myself. Just wondering if they ever thought of a way to stop drawing dirty air into the crankcase.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Draws air from valley cover (crankcase), through catch can, into intake behind throttle body. Fresh air is introduced from ahead of the throttle body into the passenger side valve cover. The stock setup uses a tube that is between the valve cover and intake manifold to let the fresh air in.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
The catch can is on the pipe leaving the crankcase (isn't it?). The air enters through another pipe. A long time ago before PCV there was a cap called the breather on the entry hole in a valve cover. It had metallic wool in it to clean the air a little. We flushed them with solvent once in a while. The crankcase exhaust was a pipe sticking straight down below the frame. When the car was moving the air rushing past it created suction. This is a kind of vacuum pump that has a name. It's called a Venturi pump.

When PCV came they moved the air intake to the dirty side of the air cleaner. As the engine aged and blowby increased, at some point the pressure swung positive and it started blowing stuff out through this pipe. The oil mist just harmlessly soaked the air cleaner and didn't enter the plenum. GM made the pipe wide open. Ford used to put a little piece of mesh over the end but people ignored it forever and it got blocked. When you wanted a quick reading on an engine's condition you looked in the engine to see of there was oil there, indicating high blowby.

If this engine has the intake on the clean side of the air cleaner then whatever blows out of it goes into the manifold. It doesn't sound right.

I have a bad habit of hijacking threads so I'll knock it off. The talk of PCV made me wonder about this.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I meant looked in the air cleaner, not “looked in the engine”

·
Registered
238 Posts
If this engine has the intake on the clean side of the air cleaner then whatever blows out of it goes into the manifold. It doesn't sound right.
Thats why people add the catch can: catch the oil before it enters the intake.

Air enters crankcase from between the MAF and TB. Air is drawn from crankcase into the intake.

It's not just this engine......

Reactions: Murky

·
Registered
456 Posts
MacNab, this is how it works. Everything that gets sucked out of the crankcase goes into the manifold. That's why people use catch cans.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Elite plumbed a little different but the same setup. Catch can is a good idea on the SS as the PCV hose is only about 3” long with no check valve in it. Very short path for oil mist to make its way into the intake manifold. Done enough tune-ups on other people’s cars and most intakes have plenty of oil in them. Seeing that a few times was proof enough for me to put the can on the SS.

A catch can is (IMO) practically mandatory on a direct injection car. I also have one on a Mazda 3 that catches about 1/3 oil, 1/3 water (vapor that condenses in the can), and 1/3 gasoline (condensed vapor). Mazda made an attempt to keep oil out of the intake by locating the PCV inlet at the lowest possible point on the intake manifold and then a serpentine path up to the ports. Doesn’t work very well though.

Only find oil in the SS’s can. Its’ can gets hot enough to boil off any water/fuel vapor off I think.

Find oil/water/fuel in the Mazda can. 4’ of hose to the can and 4’ of hose back to the manifold keeps it cool enough so the water/fuel doesn’t boil out I would say.

Take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Elite Engineering, Have the OTR made by VCM and mounted in area where infill panels cover where original air box was located.

Attachments

Reactions: F150toSS
1 - 20 of 63 Posts