Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I am looking to possibly use some Kooks LTs on the SS.

I was not a huge fan of their build quality [even though it has improved since I had a G8 set in my hands vs ARH and Stainless Works], but
a friend had them off of a totaled SS with the X pipe and the 16/7 mufflers included. Their quality is a bit better than prior as I mentioned. Anyway, the price was right...and here I am.

To preface this all, I did put the extended warranty on my SS so I am at a crossroad if I want to do it or shelf them for a bit. Looks like most events are wiped for the year anyway.

Back to the converters. I'd like to keep converters on the car / in the system. It currently has none if i use the Kooks X pipe etc.

My easiest route would be to use the Kooks to Corsa catted section, and maybe toss the spare Corsa I have onto the car.

Otherwise, it would be running the kooks X pipe and adding converters [maybe cutting the catted pipes up for donors]

I had some bad previous experiences with aftermarket cats on prior vehicles but that was about 10 years ago and they were turbo engines which did not help that issue.

I do not want to go for the falsely claimed "high flow" cats because that is really just a way of stating "our cats are cheaper because we won't pony up for the same material specs" - which is fair given the cost of precious metals these days and aftermarket companies need to make a profit.

Has anyone had good luck with aftermarket converters that work well recently?

I have considered cannibalizing soem factory cats but that would be a bottle neck due to pipe size etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 1/78 kooks longtubes x pipes with the high flows. Put down 598 wheel. Had em fron 15k to 25k so far. Whats your problem exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a problem, I am just looking for a quality converter as the set up i picked up is catless and I am not a fan of catless on a daily driver anymore.

Several kooks converters came "loose" and friends cars and they just pounded them out to gut them.

Either way, just looking for people with experiences - good or bad - with any aftermarket converters.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I haven’t been able to find a set that stands up to running at the track yet. I was thinking about this very thing yesterday cars like the ZR1 have a blower and a decent amount of power and cats. I thought about getting the ‘Green’ cats for my new Kooks/Corsa system, but don’t wanna pony up that cash if I’m just gonna blow them too. The last high flow cat came with my Stainless Works 1-7/8” LTsand didn’t last long. I want cats but don’t know what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts