Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's a million posts on this, but I simply do not have the time to hunt it down. I'm curious as to whether or not doing a cat back straight pipe will void the warranty on my SS. I'm sitting at about 6,000 miles as of now, want to do it ASAP for that LS3 roar. Also, should I just do straight through, or X pipe or H pipe? I was wondering what would sound better, and if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to find comparisons, that would be greatly appreciated (I've already scoured YouTube so keep your snarky responses to that last request to a minimum, please.)

Thanks for any and all help, glad to be part of the community.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
We have a few Camaro customers with stock cats and no mufflers, we just did and engine on one under warranty, a trans on one under warranty and we even did and engine and then sold it off the used car lot! We also have 2 G8 customers with that setup, but they don't have any warranty left.

So, no, it should not void your warranty.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have a few Camaro customers with stock cats and no mufflers, we just did and engine on one under warranty, a trans on one under warranty and we even did and engine and then sold it off the used car lot! We also have 2 G8 customers with that setup, but they don't have any warranty left.

So, no, it should not void your warranty.
So should I be worried about all of these engine and tranny warranty claims on our cars? That sounds like a lot of failures for a low production run vehicle.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
So should I be worried about all of these engine and tranny warranty claims on our cars? That sounds like a lot of failures for a low production run vehicle.
What failures are you referring to?

KW

Reactions: DarthMalaguti

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
He's talking about Camaros. There are a lot more of those so a few failures are to be expected and Camaros are probably driven harder than SS's, at least for many.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
He's talking about Camaros. There are a lot more of those so a few failures are to be expected and Camaros are probably driven harder than SS's, at least for many.
Exactly.

The people who do that are most likely to drive ****-crap out of there car anyway. They mostly come in with worn tires and brakes as a clue as to how they are driven or maintained.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,316 Posts
No.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Anything can void your warranty. Especially exhaust tampering. Obviously we all know that there should be no real problem if something is changed after the cats, but Im sure GM could argue that there is a change in back pressure which could change how the engine performs. For that reason, you could easily void a warranty by changing everything you are suggesting.
I myself have installed an aftermarket "axle back system" which of course is just a fancy way of saying, Im using aftermarket mufflers. A voided warranty for a muffler change would be a real d!ck move on GM's part, but they could do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, GM must PROVE that there was a change in back pressure that directly caused an issue. Because most consumers don't know this, they simply bank on people shutting up when they say no. "For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car." - from the FTC website.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sure there's a million posts on this, but I simply do not have the time to hunt it down.
I don't mean this to sound ugly, but if you don't have time to search the forums for information on this topic, you sure won't have time to fight GM when they deny your warranty claim.

If a person can be handed their car back in pieces by the dealer for a catch can causing a oil pump failure (see other thread), I wouldn't count on exhaust being overlooked, especially when it's such an evident modification.

-N

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The only sure way to avoid a warranty claim is by not modifying your vehicle and keeping every god damned receipt for every piece of maintenance that every GM certified mechanic has performed on time for your vehicle. And even them, I still don't trust those MFers.

Not related to GM or even cars for that matter, but I feel I'm one of the lucky few who actually got a warranty claim approved by Home Depot when one of my patio chairs broke within the two year structural warranty. I said, "There was rust under the welds, where the chair broke. It seems the welds were of poor quality." The response was, "Oh ok well we have to take a look at it to see if this is a welding issue or a rust issue?" I said, "Does it really matter? It's a powdercoated patio set! You're telling me the 2 year structural warranty I'm holding in my hands might not cover it because this outdoor patio set rusted underneath the shitty welds!" These days every consumer is guilty of misuse until reluctantly proven innocent if it makes sense monetarily or image wise. Rant over.

·
Registered
348 Posts
SLA,
Should I just go for an aftermarket system then? One that isn't a custom job and won't void a warranty (if such a thing exists)
First off, it wont "VOID". Void is completely different than denying a claim.
If you are so worried about modifying your exhaust because it would "void" your warranty, why would a aftermarket system be any different?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
SLA,
Should I just go for an aftermarket system then? One that isn't a custom job and won't void a warranty (if such a thing exists)
At the time of this posting, there are no performance parts for the SS that GM says will keep your warranty intact. That means if they want to, they could deny your claim and you'd have to fight, no matter how much BS it is.

Usually when a car manufacturer sells an aftermarket product that will keep your warranty intact, they mandate it must be installed by their technicians, it usually costs more than comparable aftermarket parts, and it usually leaves a lot to be desired. Just look at Ford Racing Parts to see what I'm talking about.

Only you can answer the question of will you mess with your warranty. Any modification you make MAY result in a warranty claim being denied and any future claim you may make for that particular system. A mod (like exhaust) that effects the powertrain of your car cannot result in a claim being denied for say a broken suspension spring, unless of course some catastrophic failure occurred with the aftermarket exhaust and took out the springs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Gottcha, I misread. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.