Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,156 Posts
I used to get sick in the Country Squire wagon. Those sideways seats in back, and mountain road to Clear Lake did it every time. Dramamine helped...
View attachment 297509
Lol...it was probably exhaust fumes making you sick. Funny what was acceptable back in our day. The back station wagon seats, no seat belts, horrible suspensions, etc. etc.. One time when I was real little we were on the freeway and I was in the back seat of the VW Beetle (what seatbelts? We don't need no stinkin seat belts.) Somehow I managed to reach a little hand up front and knock the stick shift into neutral. Then another time sitting up front in between my parents in my Dad's Oldsmobile and decided to grab the gear changer on the column and shift that into neutral. Dunno what it was with me and going into neutral. Weird. Probably a good thing I was so little or my Dad would've taken me hunting and had an accident.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,156 Posts
I think its lack of situational awareness. My wife and her mom never pay attention while driving. I am constantly on her about distracted driving. (I investigate crashes for living and often show her the end result.) Example. Not paying attention, light turns green, traffic departs, oh I need to go, punches it. Traffic is slowing down, she is off in lala land thinking about something else, isn't forecasting how cars ahead of the one she is behind are slowing down. Then finally its oh wow I need to stop and bam on the brakes hard. I tried to teach her defensive driving, situational awareness, predicting other driver behavior, but its a lost cause.
Dude you just described most-not all-women drivers. And it seems like the more north I go, the worse it gets. Once in Detroit on the freeway I saw a woman in the fast lane smoking and putting on makeup; then took a sip of coffee and resumed applying makeup. The instant I could get away from her I blasted off. Stories like that are endless.

OP, if smoother shifting doesn't do the trick, don't feed her before getting on the road if avoidable. Hope it passes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
235 Posts
I remember sleeping on the rear package shelf. Just think what kind of damage a kid flying through the car at head level would do in the event of a hard frontal collision!

We were kind of poor so we had a family of 6 in a Pinto at one point. And then a Granada.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts