Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our almost 2 year old seems to get car sick mainly in the SS. To be fair it’s my wife’s daily so that’s mostly all she’s in. It seems to happen most often soon after a 1-2 gear change. My wife is smoother on it than I am which she is quick to point out but just by the nature of the beast it’s more pronononced than say my TDI golf.

anyone with kids experience this? She’s almost 2 still rear facing. I want to front face and see if that helps.

unfortunately this may put the car up for sale.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We’re going to try and switch cars for a couple weeks. Daughter is due to go front facing too. I struggle like no other when I get in the SS like once a month unless I’m running it fairly hard.

my mother in law will be here week after next with an auto we’re gonna try as well. It may just be car sick.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I used to get sick in the Country Squire wagon. Those sideways seats in back, and mountain road to Clear Lake did it every time. Dramamine helped...
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,132 Posts
Not offend anyone. I was in the back seat of our 1950 Studebaker, with 3 on the tree, when my father, who had been a cheaufer(sp?) at one time, was teaching my two older sisters to drive a stick shift. The one thing that he stressed more than anything else was smoothness, so as not to make your passengers car sick. I went though these lessons twice. I hope I got it, because I passed these points on to my wife and kids, and grand kids.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Our almost 2 year old seems to get car sick mainly in the SS. To be fair it’s my wife’s daily so that’s mostly all she’s in. It seems to happen most often soon after a 1-2 gear change. My wife is smoother on it than I am which she is quick to point out but just by the nature of the beast it’s more pronononced than say my TDI golf.

anyone with kids experience this? She’s almost 2 still rear facing. I want to front face and see if that helps.

unfortunately this may put the car up for sale.
Try launching from a stop in second gear. For one, it eliminates the possibility of the dreaded 1-4 skip shift if you're too light on the throttle. And two, you can cruise longer from a stop since you'll already be in second gear. Then you can prep for the much smoother 2-3 shift. The SS has more than enough power to launch from second. I do it quite often when I'm not "getting after it" for smoother launches in traffic to avoid the 1-2 shift.

Reactions: Taze

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Before she was banished from riding in it, I had occasion to drive my wife and a few of her elderly (mid eighties) clients "all over town" in my car, as it was the only car we own comfortable enough to accommodate 5 passengers. As we finished the events of the day and I began to return them to their homes, my wife happened to mention my love for the car being partially due to its manual transmission, to which the ladies, almost in chorus, said they were shocked to learn that it was a manual transmission they had been riding in. They had all assumed in must have been an automatic transmission because it was so smooth.

Point is, smooth driving can definitely be done. The car has more than enough torque to short shift as necessary to avoid any head snaps. Perhaps a little instruction on clutch finesse is in order. :unsure:

·
Registered
40 Posts
A lightened spring will help the clutch feel more natural.
Eliminate the 1-4 skip shift

I agree the car can be driven smoothly. The SS has a nasty rev hang, so pay attention to the rev matching. Compared to my e39 M5, it feels like lazy shifting. I plan to address that the next time I bring my car to the tuner.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My whole family gets carsick in my car. So we just take my wife’s car everywhere when we go out.

I drive my car alone so much that it’s become somewhat of a sanctuary for me. I get kinda bummed now whenever I have a passenger (and have to put it in tour, accelerate like grandma, skip shifts, etc, etc…..)

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
246 Posts
It's not related to the car, but my wife is awful about not accelerating linearly in anything she drives. She can turn me green in no time, and that's not a problem I typically have. She actually "pulses" the accelerator.

I return the favor whenever possible, typically with hard acceleration through a couple of corners while she's looking at her phone. :devilish:

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
62 Posts
It's not related to the car, but my wife is awful about not accelerating linearly in anything she drives. She can turn me green in no time, and that's not a problem I typically have. She actually "pulses" the accelerator.

I return the favor whenever possible, typically with hard acceleration through a couple of corners while she's looking at her phone. :devilish:
This! LOL. My wife treats the brake and gas pedals like on/off switches in any car she drives. I swear she gives me whiplash sometimes! LOL. Her mom is even worse. This isn't a go-kart! You can modulate your acceleration/deceleration.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,132 Posts
My wife drives so good, she's the only one that I could ever go to sleep while she is driving ever since my best friend who I grew up with. We don't even like to ride with anyone else! Everytime my wife goes somewhere with her twin sister, she has horror stories to tell over braking too hard and too often and making bad moves in general. My wife says that she gets car sick riding with her.

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
62 Posts
I think its lack of situational awareness. My wife and her mom never pay attention while driving. I am constantly on her about distracted driving. (I investigate crashes for living and often show her the end result.) Example. Not paying attention, light turns green, traffic departs, oh I need to go, punches it. Traffic is slowing down, she is off in lala land thinking about something else, isn't forecasting how cars ahead of the one she is behind are slowing down. Then finally its oh wow I need to stop and bam on the brakes hard. I tried to teach her defensive driving, situational awareness, predicting other driver behavior, but its a lost cause.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What suspension mode? My kid used to get carsick some around the same age, rear-facing. Turned out that each time I was in Tour mode, the kid would get sick on the highway. Stiffened up the settings and no issues after that.
This happens to me on the highway while driving the car. Would love to have a separate switch to shut the exhaust valve without having to soften the MRC

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
Happened to my daughter as she got older. In my twisted head I contributed it to blood flowing to and from the brain in the semi-reclined rear facing seat, as well as her developing situational awareness trying to process everything around her moving backwards and away from her. Probably all bs, but we turned her seat around and it never happened again.
Say what you will, but keep in mind that I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We faced her forward in “my” vw on a trip back from ma to nj and 4 hours in she yakked on an on ramp with no gear change.

she May just be a car sick kid. I’m gonna try putting her in “my” car for a while and see if it improves and then try my MIL’s escape.

I call it “my” car because it went from her calling it “the SS” to “my car” a couple years ago. I’m like wait. What?! When did this happen.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
We faced her forward in “my” vw on a trip back from ma to nj and 4 hours in she yakked on an on ramp with no gear change.

she May just be a car sick kid. I’m gonna try putting her in “my” car for a while and see if it improves and then try my MIL’s escape.

I call it “my” car because it went from her calling it “the SS” to “my car” a couple years ago. I’m like wait. What?! When did this happen.
Hope she’s not just prone to carsickness, that’s not fun for anyone. You’re reminding me of the time my wife and I were shopping for new cars. Our daughter was 1 and facing forward (1 yr old was cutoff back then for turning them around). She puked during a Subaru Outback test drive. We were like, ok, strike Subaru from the list!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts