Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am considering (again) getting a carbon fiber hood for my SS, and doing the math on cost of ownership / install, hoping someone out there can help out with the following concerns before I sell a kidney to have a hood shipped from down under. I will admit a lot of these questions are coming from the disclaimer on the mavman list despite me ordering from elsewhere.

I have read that carbon fiber needs to breathe, specifically mentioning no clear bra application. Is this specific to clear bras? What about paint or wraps?

Is heat an issue? I live in Texas and while I prefer the car to be in the garage there are times it sits outside for a week at a time.

Does it need a thermal hood liner to protect from engine heat? (stock engine, exhaust)

Hood pins - I have rarely ever seen them on a carbon hood, I do not track my car, whats the deal?

Other hardware - what other parts should I have in preparation?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have ran one for almost seven years now. I had mine painted from the beginning. In fact, most people paint them. UV will eat the CF up if you don't protect it somehow. No worries from the heat and no need from a thermal liner.

Hood pins - Do what you want but when you feel how much material is securing the striker latch, you will think twice about not running them. I utilized my rotofab radiator cover bracket for the pins themselves. This car has over a dozen 145-154 mph passes in a 1/2mile event with no issues..

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@indebt Thanks for sharing your experience with your hood. Can I assume then that the hood clips are in addition to the stock latching mechanism? It would appear the location of the hood pins are a mix of situational / structural / aesthetic choices? Is this the radiator cover that you're referring to? 2016-17 Chevrolet SS Sedan Radiator Cover Texture Black

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,906 Posts
Interesting right-up so thanks for posting. I’ve been tempted to go carbon fiber but I ended up with a fiberglass variant. It’s considerably heavier than the carbon fiber but it’s solid with no pins required. I’ve been dragging my feet with installation as it needs considerable block n’ sanding and fitment. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I have a ZR1 hood (CF) preordered through Woodys Kustoms, still waiting, but expected. They spray a clear coat to protect from UV and have told me pins are not needed. Different vendor, different expectations.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I was thinking about doing a carbon fiber wrap on my hood, have so many dings from rocks that it would hide, and prevent more...

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I have a ZR1 hood (CF) preordered through Woodys Kustoms, still waiting, but expected. They spray a clear coat to protect from UV and have told me pins are not needed. Different vendor, different expectations.
:love: I really like the pics I've seen of that! Be sure to post some up, please.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
:love: I really like the pics I've seen of that! Be sure to post some up, please.
Certainly will, but I'm afraid it's going to be awhile. Others have stated it takes about 9 months. That's a long time for my expectations, but I want what I want and I'm not going to settle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts