Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
I tried vinegar and didn't work. Tried CLR and it didn't work. Both those solutions rely on a soaking period and on a vertical surface, there is no soaking.
Heavens NO.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Use a towel soaked in vinegar lay on windshield out if sun or use bonami I can't spell worth a hoot. Little vinegar make a paste gentle scrub that was Bonami was a product GM recommended a long time ago not the vinegar I threw in.
z51vett
Doug
Yes there is a thread saying which Bon Ami formula to use. It works.

If you use the wrong formula you will damage the glass.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/3446583-post20.html

Bon Ami 1886 Original Formula No Scent Cleaner 12 oz. Powder

Reactions: Dolores

·
Registered
28 Posts
For drying, I usually use a leaf blower, then finish with a microfiber towel. I try to limit using the towel on the paint as much as possible to avoid micro scratches. One thing I have noticed, is that if you do not have a good coat of sealant/wax/ceramic, the leaf blower method does not work well. The water will "glide" off the paint with the blower if you have a good top coat on your paint.

·
Banned
311 Posts
In auto detailing, one should always try to start with the least aggressive method of cleaning and work from there. Since you've already tried vinegar (which usually is a good solution), I'd go next to a clay bar (Megs, Mothers, or any of the online detail supplies), and go at it. If that doesn't work, #0000 steel wool or finer, or a dedicated glass polish, or compound. Autogeekonline.net, and r/AutoDetailing (Reddit) are great resources for things like this. Good luck

Reactions: Dolores

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
In auto detailing, one should always try to start with the least aggressive method of cleaning and work from there. Since you've already tried vinegar (which usually is a good solution), I'd go next to a clay bar (Megs, Mothers, or any of the online detail supplies), and go at it. If that doesn't work, #0000 steel wool or finer, or a dedicated glass polish, or compound. Autogeekonline.net, and r/AutoDetailing (Reddit) are great resources for things like this. Good luck
I'll try the vinegar soaked towel first. Then Bon Ami. I hope the vinegar works. I never thought about soaking it on a towel. That would be good for the front and back. Side windows are too vertical for the towel and Bon Ami might be that method.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mother’s has a newer product, Speed Clay 2.0, its like a clay bar but its a synthetic material that has a handle. It’s suppose to take water spots off. It does a great job for me on paint. As always follow the directions.
Have you used the chemical guy’s clay mit? That’s what I’m using now... wonder how they compare.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Have you used the chemical guy’s clay mit? That’s what I’m using now... wonder how they compare.
I have not tried that one yet. I can say that the mothers 2.0 is night and day difference compared to using a actual clay bar. The 2.0 is very very user friendly, super easy to keep clean throughout the process as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have not tried that one yet. I can say that the mothers 2.0 is night and day difference compared to using a actual clay bar. The 2.0 is very very user friendly, super easy to keep clean throughout the process as well.
I’ve just about worn out my chemical guys one, I’ll give that mother a shot.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts