Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have a whole home water softener and when they installed it they put a hose bib on the exit side in the garage so I can run a hose straight off of it to clean the car. It works great. Add one or check to see if you can add one if you have a softener.

Attachments

Reactions: fincherific

·
Registered
536 Posts
What do you all use to dry your car off? I've always used a shamois (think that's how you spell it) but I was wondering if there was something better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How many pounds of resin go into the CR Spotless tanks?

Am comparing with the Griot's Garage single tank system that takes 13 pounds of resin.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
How many pounds of resin go into the CR Spotless tanks?

Am comparing with the Griot's Garage single tank system that takes 13 pounds of resin.

I looked at a number of systems including Griot's. The reviews on the CR Spotless system were so strong across the board that I went with that system. There are a number of Griot's advocates on this forum so maybe someone can pitch-in that owns their system. I get their catalogs but have never ordered anything from them.

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
What do you all use to dry your car off? I've always used a shamois (think that's how you spell it) but I was wondering if there was something better.
Chamois' are not recommended/can scratch your paint. Try a leaf blower first then use microfiber towels.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Chamois' are not recommended/can scratch your paint. Try a leaf blower first then use microfiber towels.
Agreed. But I would add that misting the vehicle with a good detail spray after blow-drying it, and then wiping the detail spray off with a good microfiber towel works wonders. As was suggested elsewhere in this thread (and countless others), the Adam's Videos are an excellent resource.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I looked at a number of systems including Griot's. The reviews on the CR Spotless system were so strong across the board that I went with that system. There are a number of Griot's advocates on this forum so maybe someone can pitch-in that owns their system. I get their catalogs but have never ordered anything from them.
Griots is pretty good stuff - I'd put it middle of the enthusiast-grade road. I still prefer Adams or Chemical Guys to anything (with a few Poorboys and Wolfgang products thrown in).

Even better now that you can pick Griots up at most parts stores - Advanced, AutoZone and Pep Boys for sure.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Really? I've been using one for years and never had that problem. Do you just wash the microfiber towels like laundry then to keep them clean? Any recommendations on towels?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Really? I've been using one for years and never had that problem. Do you just wash the microfiber towels like laundry then to keep them clean? Any recommendations on towels?
Yes but do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Wash them with only other micro fibers towels.

I like the rag company platinum pluffle and eagle edgeless towels for detailing and the Chemical Guys Grey Matter towels for drying.

Reactions: Beamz27

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes but do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Wash them with only other micro fibers towels.

I like the rag company platinum pluffle and eagle edgeless towels for detailing and the Chemical Guys Grey Matter towels for drying.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I bought my SS in June. It has New Mexico hard water spots on the glass. I can probably have my detailer fix it, but is there an off the shelf solution that removes hard water spots? I read online a soft scrub with a nylon mesh sponge would work, but just looking to see if other SS owners tried that method or have another method.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought my SS in June. It has New Mexico hard water spots on the glass. I can probably have my detailer fix it, but is there an off the shelf solution that removes hard water spots? I read online a soft scrub with a nylon mesh sponge would work, but just looking to see if other SS owners tried that method or have another method.
I use bar keepers friend to remove the spots. I did a 3rd of my rear windshield and it got most of the spots off mine. Did take a lot of scrubbing but it worked. I bet certain acid cleaners and stuff might work better.

Reactions: Dolores

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Try vinegar?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mother’s has a newer product, Speed Clay 2.0, its like a clay bar but its a synthetic material that has a handle. It’s suppose to take water spots off. It does a great job for me on paint. As always follow the directions.

Reactions: Dolores

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Use a towel soaked in vinegar lay on windshield out if sun or use bonami I can't spell worth a hoot. Little vinegar make a paste gentle scrub that was Bonami was a product GM recommended a long time ago not the vinegar I threw in.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
149 Posts
"soaking" = keeping it wet... you might be able to get this effect on the windshield by putting the CLR or vinegar on a rag and put the rag on the spots, and then just sprinkle some water on the rag to keep it damp...also...have you tried one of those "magic erasers"?? I have used one successfully on cleaning water stains in glass flower vases... Good Luck!

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
I used this for some ceramic coating high spots and it worked great. Just a little bit on a cloth and the high spots were gone. I decided to try the same method on hard water mineral deposits and it immediately removed them without me needing to bust out the PC buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts