Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions for those who religiously wash their own cars...

1) If you use a wash water filter/softener, what do you use?

2) For those using a pressure washer and foam gun: What pressure washer, foam gun, and any accessories do you use?

I am looking to change my cleaning routine and use a foam gun to knock off the bulk dirt before the wash, and we're on a well that leaves some spots. My house has mediocre water, but my in-laws wellwater leaves the nastiest water spotting I have ever seen.

Yes, I've done some research beforehand. Looking at the Chemical Guys foam cannon (EQP312), but I do not know what pressure washer to use. Want to add water filtration after a couple of you mentioned it in another car wash ritual thread, and I found solutions ranging from $80 up to several hundred... not including whole-home softener systems. Would like to get specifics from a few who are anal retentive about their car washing, and what has worked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Money better spent

I have very hard water in fact we add CaCO2 to lower the acidity, so I get water spotting to some degree. I get very good results by washing with good car soap, then wiping dry with good drying towels. Adams makes great stuff. Then I go over the entire car with Adams detail spray, removes any water spots and put a new layer of wax down. Then I clean all the windows with Adams window cleaner and remove the spots on the windows, the car comes out perfectly:)

I don't recommend you use a power washer you will damage your car and trim. I believe that particles attached to your car hit with 2000 psi with cause damage. The soap gun will do nothing to remove attached particles, but you will have some fun I would expect.:biggrin:

I soak down the car several times with a hose set on coarse spray. Then wash down with Adams which makes a great lather in the buckets if you follow instructions on the soap. After rinsing I use a yard blower to remove alot of the standing water on the car, then wipe with towels.

In all it takes close to 2 hrs

I'm pretty anal about my car, when I got it home I buffed it out for 2 days to get the swirls out of the new paint, she really glows now.

I put down an acrylic sealer after buffing, then waxed the following day per the instructions. That was in mid May. I wash weekly. I try to wash early in the morning to avoid the hot sun, late evening would be good too.

So save you wash equipment money for more fun things like mods!!:biggrin:

Still Loving It!!

Hoopla

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used a electric power washer, 2100 PSI. Never had a problem with it hurting any trim on my car. Most of my washes are with the pressure washer. If it's a little dusty, I would do a rinseless wash with ONR.

Most of those foam cannons are rebadged MTM foam cannons. Some have different bottles.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439076412&sr=8-3&keywords=mtm+foam+cannon[/ame]

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to think that a pressure washer would be overkill, but I have since seen some videos of professional details working on high-end stuff (think brand-new Rolls) and some of them use the foam cannon to rinse the loose stuff off first and get a good lathered soak going before they wipe down.

I also use a detail spray wipedown after washing to remove light spotting that seems to happen inevitably. At my home it works. At my in-laws home (where we sometimes spend time due to proximity to the city, and hence I sometimes need to wash there) the water is so nasty that even going over with detail spray immediately after washing there will *still* be spots. I seriously hate the wellwater there, but there is no touchless automatic wash within quite a few miles. Used the regular automatic washes on the Subaru (because I just don't care on that car), and well, my experience with swirls and scratches just confirms why I refuse to use cloth-type automatic washes on any car I care about.

Reactions: hoopla and z51vett

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Ditto on Adams videos. And the Junkman on YouTube!
I use a pressure washer/ foam cannon combo, 3 bucket wash, blow dry, and products from Adams and Majestic Solutions (local), top quality microfiber from Theragcompany.com.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As I've mentioned on other threads, fellow NJ Forum member Mattionals [sp?] and I both bought the largest CR Spotless Systems [that may not be the correct name] water de-ionizers. The cost from Costco.com is $429. I have pH 6.0, 250 ppm TDS well water which left tenacious water spots upon drying. This system, while expensive, leaves no spots on the car. It is not necessary to blow the excess water off or to use toweling to dry the car. We are both happy with our purchases. I use a Griots Garage car cleaner soap and a microfiber washer.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditto on Adams videos. And the Junkman on YouTube!
I use a pressure washer/ foam cannon combo, 3 bucket wash, blow dry, and products from Adams and Majestic Solutions (local), top quality microfiber from Theragcompany.com.
Which pressure washer and foam cannon do you use?

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Reactions: gtrplr2

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Which pressure washer and foam cannon do you use?
Electric PW (1800 psi I believe) bought at Home Depot, and MTM foam canon. Made a short grip for the cannon.

Search the Adams forum for pressure washers. There's a few good threads and suggestions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've never used a pressure washer, but I would probably recommend a simple one under 2000 psi, and hopefully with a nozzle that keeps the pressure much lower. I would think hoopla is right about it possibly damaging the finish, but just keep the wax layer up and it should be fine.

I do simple hose, two buckets, and dry finish with a quick wax spray. Hand wax about twice a year, or if I think spots are wearing more (front and back bumpers). I may be trying some of Adam's products this next go around. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I've never used a pressure washer, but I would probably recommend a simple one under 2000 psi, and hopefully with a nozzle that keeps the pressure much lower. I would think hoopla is right about it possibly damaging the finish, but just keep the wax layer up and it should be fine.

I do simple hose, two buckets, and dry finish with a quick wax spray. Hand wax about twice a year, or if I think spots are wearing more (front and back bumpers). I may be trying some of Adam's products this next go around. Thanks everyone!
Get some grit guards!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chemical Guys and Adam's you can't go wrong either way. I have since steered away from Adam's and solely using CG products now. I have both a foam gun and a foam blaster. The difference between the two is a foam gun is used for the pressure washer and the foam blaster you hook to your garden hose. I use both regularly for my own vehicles and customer vehicles that I detail for a friend's detailing business. The foam gun produces way more foam but the blaster still produces a good amount. If the vehicle is really dirty or has a lot of bugs/debris stuck to the paint I usually use the pressure washer set up. If the vehicle is well kept or is a weekly maintenance wash I just use my garden hose set up. If you need to hand wash with a mitt or something of that kind then I highly recommend you use the two bucket method with grit guards in both. I used to have nothing but black vehicles and using a touch-less set up was always a must but it's hard to beat a good ol' fashioned hand job. That's why the two bucket method is nice because it drastically reduces the risk of any scratching or marring as long as you perform proper washing techniques. I've learned a lot from Junkman's YouTube channel and working with people I know that detailed professionally. After that it was a lot of practice on my part on trying to figure out what works best and developing a technique.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Can you expand on that technique? Why reinvent the wheel, :D

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I've decided to update my tools here. I only have one grit guard currently, but I want another.
One for every bucket! And the angled adapter for the dirty water bucket to help scrub whatever wash mit you be using.

·
Registered
222 Posts
One for every bucket! And the angled adapter for the dirty water bucket to help scrub whatever wash mit you be using.
My upgrade plan is 2 buckets, two grit guards, two mits, a foam gun, new drying towels, and I think I need a new polisher. I'll look for the angle adapter now.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
My upgrade plan is 2 buckets, two grit guards, two mits, a foam gun, new drying towels, and I think I need a new polisher. I'll look for the angle adapter now.
Adam's has it. Or Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know that the Spotless De-Ionizer is currently on sale at Costco until 12/14 for $80 off.

I ordered one last week as a Christmas gift for myself and it was delivered today. The reviews on this piece of equipment are stellar everywhere that sells it. Here's the link:

CR SPOTLESS De-ionizing Spotless Water System

1 - 20 of 51 Posts