Chevy SS Forum banner

Camaro vs Mustang - VASC in 2022

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Richo@SSV wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
Background - Whither goes Holden > GM in VASC after 2020???

Finally, the commitment to have a CHEVROLET presence in the Virgin Australia series!

"We at GM are thrilled to continue an involvement in Supercars in Australia and New Zealand,” added GM president and noted motorsports enthusiast, Mark Reuss. “Chevy Camaro will be an exciting addition to the track, and we have every confidence Triple Eight will ensure the race-going version will be a faithful representation of the road-going Camaro ZL1’s DNA.”

#2 ·
Another twist in the VASC saga - not sure anyone anticipated this as the outcome, but it all makes more sense, with the star driver now moved on to a seat in the Team Penske Indycar program.

#3 ·
^^^
McLaughlin going from Ford Mustang to Chevy Power at Today's Firestone GP of St. Petersburg. Wonder if Hamilton will join IndyCar or NASCAR when contract is up for Mercedes-AMG? Figure he will try for Triple Crown...

#4 ·
If Hamilton was to continue racing after F1, and chose to leave Europe to do so, I'm not sure he would come to the US - he has an agenda that goes beyond just racing. I don't care where he goes, from watching F1 for some time, it's clear he's not pleased when he loses....that's going to be a problem for him here, no matter how talented he may be. I'd say follow the Nigel Mansell path to US open-wheel racing, or don't bother coming here. Let him run the Indy 500 - very different game than F1.

#5 ·
Even Jimmy Johnson going to Indy Car next season...Hope SVG stays with Super Cars but it was fun to watch Marcos Ambrose dominate at some NASCAR venues back in the Day. Scott Dixon at 40 just one championship away from A.J. Foyt's record.

#6 ·
Those Foyt championships were earned in a much different way. so AJ's versatility still puts him on his own pedestal, from my perspective....JJ will race only on road courses, but (I) do not assume he won't give Indy 500 a go, since he has won there in NASCAR. SVG does come to US for co-drives from time to time, but it would be interesting to see him try out NASCAR at some level - next year's road course schedule would be interesting with his presence - or when NextGen car comes, which will have much more in common with current VASC. Scheduling would likely be the main issue, unless he was to step away from SC. Next year may be his best chance to become champion, with Penske's departure from DJR....and I have to think that would remain Priority #1 for him. Money is going to be another consideration - don't know what SVG makes driving for Team 888, but it's no sure thing that he could get enough to make it worth making the jump to US racing. Would like to see him give Corvette Racing/GTLM a go.....

#8 ·
Next year may be his best chance to become champion, with Penske's departure from DJR....and I have to think that would remain Priority #1 for him.
As predicted, SVG is stinking it up so far in VASC. First race aired today on CBS Sports Network (1 hour show) - 40 lap Bathurst sprint event. Sure would enjoy a trip to AU to watch these cars.....

Season to date results - 5 races:

#9 ·
SVG reminds me of The Intimidator...still got Earnhardt Child's Car seat from Target in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.