Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
want to buy
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here.
Anyone here cross-shop these two (Camaro SS v. Chevy SS)? Need something that's a little easier for the wife to get into and out of, and they both seem like pretty good choices. Camaro a little cheaper, more stylish, more modern design, but lacking passenger room.
Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had both a 6th gen SS Camaro and SS sedan atthe same time. I much prefer the SS Sedan. It’s not as quick but to me is superior in every other way except gas mileage. More interior room, bigger trunk, 4 door (for family), better visibility, etc. My wife hates driving the Camaro but doesn’t mind the SS.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Getting in and out of the 6th gen camaro is rough. My friend has one and if it’s parked on an upward grade I fight getting out of it. It’s very low to the ground and seats are low which make the doors a focal point because they are so large. It’s a breeze getting in and out of the SS. Way more visibility and the doors aren’t all you see when you’re in the car. SS stock for stock is slower than the lt1 but I love it. The extra seating room and rarely seeing them on the road is nice.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Certainly test drive both extensively, at least the Camaro. The 6th gen Camaro is a pretty decent step ahead in about all aspects of performance. But it's less practical and comfortable, and the complaints about visibility are valid.

A Camaro, like a Vette, is ideally a toy for when you have another car to daily drive. An SS meanwhile can adequately cover both grounds while sacrificing some level of performance that about 99% of the driving population wouldn't explore anyway.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I remember being excited for the 5th gen when it launched in late 09-early 10, as I graduated high school in 2010. Quite a few brand new Camaro’s in our parking lot that spring.
Once I tried to fit my 6’2” 160lb (at the time) frame in one the love fell apart, it shouldn’t be that troublesome for someone my age, relatively fit, to get in and out of that car.

I’ve since tried a couple 6th gen Camaro’s and they felt like clown cars to me, I honestly was more comfortable in a current gen Miata/Fiata.

So no I didn’t cross shop the two when I bought my ‘17 M6 SS new; had the wide body 392 Charger been out when I bought my SS it may have gotten some consideration but for its part the SS Sedan had no competition then and still has no competition to this day.

The Camaro will clearly beat the SS in performance and the 7 speed manual is a big plus, but after that the horrible ergonomics, imo cheap looks (rear RS/SS badge on the plastic bumper is super cheap and cheesy looking), visibility issue, etc are too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,806 Posts
The Camaro has a superior Infotainment system.
I was 50 years old when I bought my last F-body, and loved it. I was 62 when I purchased my SS and I love it. So, younger, get theCamaro, older, get the SS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I remember being excited for the 5th gen when it launched in late 09-early 10, as I graduated high school in 2010. Quite a few brand new Camaro’s in our parking lot that spring.
Once I tried to fit my 6’2” 160lb (at the time) frame in one the love fell apart, it shouldn’t be that troublesome for someone my age, relatively fit, to get in and out of that car.

I’ve since tried a couple 6th gen Camaro’s and they felt like clown cars to me, I honestly was more comfortable in a current gen Miata/Fiata.

So no I didn’t cross shop the two when I bought my ‘17 M6 SS new; had the wide body 392 Charger been out when I bought my SS it may have gotten some consideration but for its part the SS Sedan had no competition then and still has no competition to this day.

The Camaro will clearly beat the SS in performance and the 7 speed manual is a big plus, but after that the horrible ergonomics, imo cheap looks (rear RS/SS badge on the plastic bumper is super cheap and cheesy looking), visibility issue, etc are too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good info but the Camaro LT1/1SS/2SS still use the Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 2018 ZL-1 with the LT4 motor and it will easily do circles around my LS3. He has the 6-speed so it will pop and crackle just as much and the rev matching is pretty slick. Thing is, I have never been inside an Abrams tank before but I imagine it is not too dissimilar from being inside a late-gen Camaro. The outward visibility is awful. No other way to say it. I like the ability to actually "see" what's around me and 4-doors was necessary so my SS checks all the boxes. Like everyone here said, test drive them both and make your own decision. This was us parked away from everyone during bowling night a while ago. Look at those side windows and you see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I love those blue on black ZL1's. I often say the only car I'd trade the SS for is a V3. The only car I'd trade my original Fbody for would be a 6th gen ZL1...and some days when the rattles, cheap build quality and cam surge annoy me, I think I should've saved the money spent on the motor and used it as a down payment on a Z. If I had more garage space I'd buy one, maybe will before they go away in '23 or '24.

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say it depends on what you want out of the car. As others have noted the visibility out of the Camaro can be a concern, and the back seats and trunk suck, but it is a vastly superior car in driving dynamics.

If you want to fit your family or lots of stuff in the car the SS is a no brainer.

If you are concerned about laptimes and do 5 HPDE events a year, the Camaro is going to be a much better car.

If you have the budget and want to split the difference I would look seriously at an ATS-V. It has the same great chassis the Camaro has, but you can get a sedan. If you want a manual they are more rare, but still out there.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would say it depends on what you want out of the car. As others have noted the visibility out of the Camaro can be a concern, and the back seats and trunk suck, but it is a vastly superior car in driving dynamics.

If you want to fit your family or lots of stuff in the car the SS is a no brainer.

If you are concerned about laptimes and do 5 HPDE events a year, the Camaro is going to be a much better car.

If you have the budget and want to split the difference I would look seriously at an ATS-V. It has the same great chassis the Camaro has, but you can get a sedan. If you want a manual they are more rare, but still out there.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Excellent advice to shop the ATS-V!! OP you should look at some of them... sedan and manual... tough to find but they do exist! Good luck with you search, you won’t really regret anything you ultimately pick!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Traded in my previous 2014 SS for a new 2018 Camaro SS w/ manual after being enticed by the aggressive appearance and low pricing. After 8 months I really felt weary of constant clutch-work in traffic (a new 10 speed A/T may suit some people better), notchy shifting when cold, hunching down to see the traffic light if I was near the front of the line, and peeling myself out of the seat. It really made me feel old physically to live with drive nearly everyday. To combat the limited visibility I moved my seat 'up' as much as I could.....but then couldn't see the traffic lights without hunching down. Amazing car dynamically but wasn't an every-day vehicle for me like I hoped it could've been. More of my fault than the car. Since then I had a CTS-V coupe for a while and recently found an SS again that is more in line with what I value as a daily. As a side-note.....the Camaro seemed to incite wanna-be racers to provoke me constantly whereas the SS gets the long stares and thumbs-up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It really bugged the hell out of me that GM didn't do a better job with visibility on the 6th gen camaro. A couple extra inches of glass all around wouldn't have hurt the design at all, in fact it might've looked a bit more mature without the insane belt line. It certainly would've held more market share.

Reactions: 14RedHotSS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Excellent advice to shop the ATS-V!! OP you should look at some of them... sedan and manual... tough to find but they do exist! Good luck with you search, you won’t really regret anything you ultimately pick!
Small note of caution on ATS-V shopping: make sure that engine/exhaust sound is not of paramount importance to you. A big part of the SS experience is the LS-3 and it’s sound/character, the ATS-V is virtually bereft of that. Yes, the 3.6 TT V-6 has plenty of power (464HP!) and superior acceleration to the SS stock vs. stock, however, the muted turbo exhaust note is a real let down. GM needs to take a cue ( no pun intended) from Mercedes AMG where TT V-6 exhaust sound is concerned.

That said, the Alpha platform is great - the ATS-V is basically a Camaro you can see out of and with an interior closer to SS quality levels. I also wouldn’t mind that 8L90 in the SS, it’s a pretty decent unit.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Small note of caution on ATS-V shopping: make sure that engine/exhaust sound is not of paramount importance to you. A big part of the SS experience is the LS-3 and it’s sound/character, the ATS-V is virtually bereft of that. Yes, the 3.6 TT V-6 has plenty of power (464HP!) and superior acceleration to the SS stock vs. stock, however, the muted turbo exhaust note is a real let down. GM needs to take a cue ( no pun intended) from Mercedes AMG where TT V-6 exhaust sound is concerned.
Only if the exhaust sound is real, and not fake V8 noises plumbed in through the speakers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi all, new here.
Anyone here cross-shop these two (Camaro SS v. Chevy SS)? Need something that's a little easier for the wife to get into and out of, and they both seem like pretty good choices. Camaro a little cheaper, more stylish, more modern design, but lacking passenger room.
Thoughts? Thanks.
Here’s a thought. The question you should ask is SS or GT350? Seriously, if you are considering a Camaro you owe it to yourself to drive a GT350. I have.
Flat plane crank 32V 5.2 Voodoo motor wound out to 8250 rpm is something you almost can’t quantify using the English language. Tremec 6-sp like the Camaro and SS. But that sound! Holy hell. Like the Devil gargling rebar and trussing and then spitting it out with fire mixed in. It isn’t a silky smooth DOHC either, it’s rough and tingly, you know it’s there at all times. So much more involving than anything else near the price. Also way easier ingress/egress than the Camaro and the interior styling/ergonomics are far better as well.
I’m getting one myself in the next couple of years.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Here’s a thought. The question you should ask is SS or GT350? Seriously, if you are considering a Camaro you owe it to yourself to drive a GT350. I have.
Flat plane crank 32V 5.2 Voodoo motor wound out to 8250 rpm is something you almost can’t quantify using the English language. Tremec 6-sp like the Camaro and SS. But that sound! Holy hell. Like the Devil gargling rebar and trussing and then spitting it out with fire mixed in. It isn’t a silky smooth DOHC either, it’s rough and tingly, you know it’s there at all times. So much more involving than anything else near the price. Also way easier ingress/egress than the Camaro and the interior styling/ergonomics are far better as well.
I’m getting one myself in the next couple of years.
Do you need some paper towels? Lol got a little excited over there

1 - 20 of 41 Posts