Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac placed 1st and 2nd in the Rolex/Weathertech(not quite) 24 hrs of Daytona! Fernando Alonzo one of the drivers in the winning Car!:wink

·
Registered
241 Posts
Didn’t think anyone else here was a fan. I missed out this year due to knee surgery but watched the rain at home. I will have friends who live 5 minutes from road Atlanta so I always make the petit leman

Bad luck for the corvettes

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately Mazda has some sort of voodoo hex on their P1 program - I mean really - great engineering & design before Joest & now the weight of Joest behind them... but no. Love watching their cars move & can't wait for left coast IMSA rounds to see them up close - but they need a win bad!

Gotta remember there was a time when Mazda had the measure of entire P1 class. Wins will come, but competition these days is just ridiculously stronger....

Love this time of year - start of Daytona 24hr means official start of racing season for me. Wish the rain would've held-off - I know you Florida guys love the rain & strategy is fun in the wet - but I want to see these rocketships at full-clip, not aquaplaning off the road. I do the aquaplaning thing just fine ;)

Nice to see Alonso get another 24hr win - I'm thinking sports cars will be his game for foreseeable future. Zanardi is an inspiration - no words to describe that man - I remember Lausitz like it was yesterday & still can't watch footage of that shunt. Amazing, just amazing.

In all, really impressed with what IMSA has done for North American racing & I'm thinking 50yr anniversary tour will be a GREAT season!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and I don't know why Mazda keeps coming back for the punishment that they are always seem to get
Perhaps, because Mazda has a very long history of doing very well at these races. Who wouldn't want re-capture their past glory. Actually, they were doing quite well untill they broke. The wife was seriously worried that Fernando wouldn't be able to get around them(she's a serious Cadillac fan!).

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bet they sell a few cars - the Taylors will buy one, just because Caddy will make a Limited Edition

Last Years Special Edition

Excuse me for a second, I need to go take a second mortgage out..... :grin

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great for Caddy, unfortunate for Corvette. But, if there is a year to not win/do well, this was the year. What a mess.

Mazda won the GT class in 2010 in the RX8. I like their program, definitely unfortunate for them to lose both DPi cars within minutes of each other. They'll be ok.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Perhaps, because Mazda has a very long history of doing very well at these races. Who wouldn't want re-capture their past glory. Actually, they were doing quite well untill they broke. The wife was seriously worried that Fernando wouldn't be able to get around them(she's a serious Cadillac fan!).
Actually they have a pretty poor record with Prototypes in these races compared to Porsche, Acura, Caddy, Nissan, etc.

I've was involved with Mazda in IMSA for years and it was a disappointing run

we did get the Victory in the RX8, so that was nice

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was speaking of further back, in my day, the early to mid 80's, before prototypes. Specificly the RX7's in GTU then later in GTO. Jim Downing was the first one that I remember going into the prototype class, and I don't remember him being that successful with it.

But, nice going, with that RX8!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...- got it straight from Jim Downing a few months ago
Jim Downing, now theres a gentleman for you! He passed by us in the garage area at my first IMSA RS race at Riverside in 1981, his last year of running RS. He could see that we were obviously "grass roots" racers working on our car. He stopped to say hello, and asked us were we getting everything we needed from Mazda Comp. We said "we think so". So he asked specificly, did we have the "special" gears for the trans(the close ratio gear set that was released at the beginning of that year), but he was whispering. We said yes. Then he explained that he was whispering because that gearset had not been cleared for use by anyone except the factory teams, which we were not. But then he said don't worry, your secrets safe, and then he wished us luck.

We finished 10th in that race out of a field 40 cars. The next year, 1982, with him, Roger Mandeville and Joe Varde out of the way we finished 3rd in the same race.:angel

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts