Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
After the Sahara dust I decided to look in to a replacement cabin air filter. I found that there is a washable K&N version (P/N VF3020) I already went through the issue of the smaller CF1182 and I was wondering if anyone has used this filter. The CF182 is approximately $30 and the K&N $45. I can’t find it locally and would have to order it online. I don’t want a sizing issue with this filter also. Has anyone used this filter with success? Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
CF182 is the correct original replacement part to use!! Book calls for it every 22,500 (3rd oil change per the too long,, factory intervals AFIAC!!). I replace mine annually,, regardless!!

;)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Filters become more effective as they clog up but the pressure drop rises. That’s why the standard advice is to not replace the engine air cleaner more often than The mfgr recommends. It’s a compromise between filtration and flow. When oil filters were bypass they were only replaced at every other oil change.
I saw a trustworthy comparison of oil filter brands 20 years ago and KN had inferior filtration. That’s all I know about them.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
CF182 is the correct original replacement part to use!! Book calls for it every 22,500 (3rd oil change per the too long,, factory intervals AFIAC!!). I replace mine annually,, regardless!!

;)
Thanks for the heads up / information. I completely forgot these cars have a cabin air filter. I have not yet reached 22k miles but i agree that changing it on a yearly basis is good housekeeping.

Filters become more effective as they clog up but the pressure drop rises. That’s why the standard advice is to not replace the engine air cleaner more often than The mfgr recommends. It’s a compromise between filtration and flow.
A factory paper engine air filter is the most efficient filter available, but when they start to clog they flow substantially less than the cotton gauze variety. The K&N on the other hand will increase filtration efficiency as it clogs up and still flow a good amount of CFM compared to an equally dirty paper filter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There's a number of people on the SS FB page that have installed the K&N cabin filter and say it fits like a glove.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Even though I just put in a CF182, I decided to see about an air filter with carbon after @good2go reminded me of that aspect. I really liked the idea of the Fram CF11639 since I know more about them than some of the other options. I was having trouble finding it though so I inquired about its production status with Fram:

Wed, 08/26/20 4:59 am
Hello Matt,

I do show CF11639 as a current production filter at this time. I see what you mean about the limited stock through retailers. There are a few places online who show stock and any of our retailers should be able to order the filter directly from FRAM too. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
Stephen

The only place I could find it online was rvautoparts.com
I've ordered one just to see how it goes. I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
375 Posts
K&N is the most overrated aftermarket brand. Skip their marketing lines and just stick with OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I've used (currently installed) a charcoal added Cabin Air Filter and have noticed zero difference from the OEM paper CAF in my CTS Sport Wagon...when I replace it this Fall I will be using the OEM regular filter again...AfterBlow is activated on that car as well as the SS sedan

Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed the K&N one (VF 3020). It did fit but was a little loose. I ended up placing a rubber spacer at the top of the filter to make it fit better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts