Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,086 Posts
thank you! i'm going to email our DMA tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do, that is kind of ridiculous that you spend that kind of money only to find out that since day 1 of ownership it was improperly equipped causing 5 years of ownership with a crappy sounding stereo system, even worse than what most people had mentioned about these cars!
Not cool and kind of crazy to be sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update on the missing speaker issue : i may be getting it taken care of, our awesome Warranty District Manager is working on it, i guess it helps that i've been with GM and the same dealership for over 15 years! we'll see what the outcome is maybe tomorrow! its been raining here so i didn't get a chance to work on the car but maybe towards the end of the week!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Update! didn't get a whole lot done on the car this weekend, had some other priorities pop up yesterday and it rained pretty much all day today, but i got the front speakers mounted in the brackets and both rear door panels are back on, hopefully i'll have some time this week to tackle the wiring for the front speakers and get the crossovers and tweeters in position. i'm not going to mount the tweeters just yet. thinking back from then i first ran the K2 powers, the tweeters from the component set were a bit too bright if i recall (at the time i used dayton audio tweeters but they won't fit in the pillar). i want to do a comparison between the focal tweeters and the infinity reference tweeters before i put them in place. Hopefully i'll have some updates soon!

Side note, GM is taking care of 90% of the speaker. i'm tossing 20 in, for reference when they do these customer satisfaction claims they have to be submitted as a warranty replacement so what would be 200 is only costing me 20, i'm ok with that considering its 3 years past the bumper to bumper.... i just wish i would have said something about the crappy audio quality a long time ago, i just figured thats how it was and dealt with it... so keep that in mind, if anything doesn't seem quite right, have a dealer look into it while you still have a warranty!

Edit#2

i had ordered a steering wheel control adapter for the head unit. i contacted Metra because it said on the website that the SS was never tested but metra support was awesome and responded back with the directions for the car and which wires to hook up to make it work. the package came in friday but alas, i had to return it because amazon sent me a returned item... the pics below are how i took it out of the shipping bag, the wires were pre-stripped and clearly used or attempted to be used.
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Font Auto part
Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Cable Gas
Cable Wire Ac adapter Plastic Electrical wiring

i should have another one coming tomorrow, it better be sealed!

·
Registered
453 Posts
i had ordered a steering wheel control adapter for the head unit. i contacted Metra because it said on the website that the SS was never tested but metra support was awesome and responded back with the directions for the car and which wires to hook up to make it work. the package came in friday but alas, i had to return it because amazon sent me a returned item... the pics below are how i took it out of the shipping bag, the wires were pre-stripped and clearly used or attempted to be used.

i should have another one coming tomorrow, it better be sealed!
I don't know what's going on with Amazons return department, I ordered NEW Akebonos for the rear a few months ago and got sent TWO sets of USED pads both different brands.....

One set were in plastic wrap in one of their plastic bags the other was thrown into their retail box and kicked around by a donkey a few times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't know what's going on with Amazons return department, I ordered NEW Akebonos for the rear a few months ago and got sent TWO sets of USED pads both different brands.....

One set were in plastic wrap in one of their plastic bags the other was thrown into their retail box and kicked around by a donkey a few times.
i'm seeing more and more of this too with friends and co workers. Amazons returns/pickers/pullers havent been on the up and up, there's no way a returned item should end up with new items for sale!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Updates!

Got some more wiring done, got the right front speaker installed. the front body to door harnesses are a PITA to get to but i got the task accomplished. cavities 36 and 37 on the passenger door harness are a good spot to run a speaker wire through. i drilled out the holes just big enough to pass the speaker wire through both parts of the connector and run the wire through the factory body to door conduit.

i removed the lower IP airbag and glove box (as of now i'm going to mount the head unit in the glove box. i have to slightly modify it for everything to fit the way i want it to). i ran the RCA cables and speaker wires to the rear seat area. i still have to remove some paneling in the trunk to figure out how i want to route the wiring.

Tomorrow i'm going to get the drivers side speaker installed and hopefully finish the wiring (head unit, antenna, and amps)

i have the A-pillars off yet because i have 3 different tweeters i want to test before i try to mount any in the pillar. the X-over has 0 to -7 settings so it'll take a bit of playing around to hear which ones sound the most integrated and smooth. the x-overs will find a home behind the kick panels. it looks like there is enough room for them there.

just for the record, other than a few door panel clips which are supposed to be R+R anyway, i havent broken or scratched anything yet.... knock on wood

Pics!

Shoe Leg Hood Vehicle Orange
Hand Tire Textile Automotive tire Finger
Electrical wiring Finger Cable Gas Engineering
Finger Electrical wiring Wood Cable Personal protective equipment
Electrical wiring Cable Bicycle handlebar Gas Wire
Hood Sleeve Automotive design Font Material property

Blue Azure Wood Gas Electric blue

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Wood Bag Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Updates:

got the door speakers done and all door panels installed.

ran all the wiring from the glove box area to the trunk :
- 3 sets of RCA's
- +12V going directly to the battery
- Head unit remote wire
- I made my own ground going to the body ground spot by the right front kick panel

all the speaker wires are run

glove box is modified, head unit fits, just need to test fit in the car to see how much room i have behind the glove box. hopefully enough to put it all in place
( i ordered another glove box so i have an unmodified one to put in the car when i sell / trade it down the road)

last piece of the puzzle for me is to decide whether i want to use regular +12v switched IGN, or try to track down +12V RAP wire to tap off of. then i can start hooking everything up and get the factory speaker wires spliced so the noises come out the center and rear deck speakers. but that can wait, the factory amp is easy enough to get to with everything back together.

does anyone know a good spot to tap for either of those? i was going to check the drivers side fuse block but i can't figure out how to get to the back of it without ripping everything apart on that side. and i'm trying not to have to tear the radio out. if anyone knows a good spot for either of those you'd be helping me out a lot! (i don't care if i have to run a wire from the trunk, i see that fuse block on the drivers side rear but all i found so far was the relay for RAP, i didn't see any other spots that mentioned that back there but i was tired, i could have missed it)

Pics:

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Hood

Automotive lighting Purple Finger Toy Bumper

Purple Electrical wiring Networking cables Cable Electric blue

Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring Trunk Fender

Fixture Wood Gas Electric blue Engineering

Hood Vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle

Sky Cloud Water Automotive exterior Wood
Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory

Office equipment Electrical wiring Audio equipment Motor vehicle Vehicle

i do plan on putting something over the top of the head unit, just havent figured that out yet, i do have a universal head unit mount i may chop down to fit over the head unit but its kind of big, for the time being i may paint the cage black, and screw it to the bottom of the glove box to hold the head unit solid. we'll see how ambitious i get with the universal mount though...

Also, remote mounting the faceplate isn't off the table yet either. i've been taking measurements and toying with the idea of carefully cutting the passenger side black and chrome trim and mounting the faceplate in a section of that... if you guys have noticed, anything i do modify is easily replaceable. (the glove box only cost me 50.00, the A pillars came out to about 150 for the pair, might seem like a lot but knowing i can go back to factory is peace of mind especially since i have no idea when these parts will be discontinued so i'm taking advantage of my discount and being able or order them still)

for those of you following and answering questions, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,086 Posts
does anyone know a good spot to tap for either of those? i was going to check the drivers side fuse block but i can't figure out how to get to the back of it without ripping everything apart on that side. and i'm trying not to have to tear the radio out. if anyone knows a good spot for either of those you'd be helping me out a lot! (i don't care if i have to run a wire from the trunk, i see that fuse block on the drivers side rear but all i found so far was the relay for RAP, i didn't see any other spots that mentioned that back there but i was tired, i could have missed it)
Right where you happen to be working.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Right where you happen to be working.

Awesome! thank you!! i'll take another look, i have the lower IP airbag and glove box removed but i didn't see it, then again i'm not gonna find something i didn't know to look for, lol

that would be fantastic if its right there, all i'd need is either the purple or white wire depending on how i want it work. i'll see if i can locate it after work today!

thanks again for the information! i'm hoping to have this buttoned up and the car back together this coming weekend!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i'm hoping the SS has that DOC connector, i couldn't find anything on GM Service information under 2017 SS but it does come up under 2017 caprice. keeping my fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The connector is there! i guess GM decided that it wasn't important to call out that X252 connector on the SS sedan schematics! but if you look up a 2017 caprice it lists that connector. strange.... anywho, i'm going to try to get the head unit in and hooked up thursday night so i can put the airbag back in and hook the battery back up and test the head unit! more updates to come!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This thread gives me nostalgia for what car forums used to be like
i'm not gonna lie, i was a forum junky back in the day, it all started with an 88 cavalier Z24, then i got a 90 z24 spent years with those vehicles, always looking for mods or upgrades! of course it was much easier back then... i don't think anyone is going to swap headlights with a bmw on these cars, lol, but you could on a cavy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Going out today in a little while to hopefully button this thing up!

I got the head unit ready to bolt down in the glove box. i also modified a universal mount so it looks like it belongs in there! i forgot to get pics of that process but i'll take a couple pics before i install everything.

only other question i have is:

will an airbag light auto clear if i start the car with one disconnected then re-connect it after everything is finalized? i don't want to put the airbag back in until i'm satisfied with everything because in order to take the glove box out i would have to take the airbag back out. if it doesn't auto clear i guess its no big deal i can have the codes cleared at work, just wondering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Update!

Got the head unit installed, buttoned up the car except for the trunk, but the bad news is my soundstream rubicon 404 amp didn't have a L/F channel, i took it apart and found a burnt resistor, i'm having a hell of a time finding out what it is and finding schematics for this model is proving to be difficult!

progress from yesterday and today is:

got the A-pillars done, since i have a new spare set i cut out the holes to surface mount the tweeters, i ended up going with the Infinity Reference tweeters, they seemed to blend the best for my musical tastes.

Head unit is secured and installed - i had to re-position it because there is 0 room behind the glove box but it fit in there at a slight angle with about a 1/2 inch to spare when the door is closed

all paneling except for kick panels are re-installed along with the seats. re-installed the airbag as welll

ran the microphone for the pioneer head unit to the upper left corner of the head liner, seems like a good spot for it

just need to hook up the steering wheel control interface and finish the trunk when the new amp comes in - i decided to go with a precision power PC700.4D 4 channel amp

once i get that amp i'll finish up in the trunk. and call it done! i should have the steering wheel controls installed this week, i hooked it up and left the wire hanging there so i can run it then, i was dodging raindrops again today so i didn't get as much done as i wanted to.

pics!

Vehicle Steering part Car Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Line Material property Shade Automotive mirror

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

Wood Handheld power drill Auto part Engineering Automotive exterior

Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Electrical wiring Engineering Crankset

Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Thigh Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 41 Posts