Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states...

I ordered my OBM SS back in 2017, waited over 5 months for it to come in, once it came in i thoroughly enjoyed the car as i'm sure everyone did. after all the hype settled down a bit i started messing with all the settings and functions getting myself familiarized with them and once i got to the sound..... well... its total garbage. the sound system in these cars are lacking 100%. i had a 2010 equinox that i enjoyed rocking out to more than the SS.

i have finally decided to do something about it. i'm not sure if this has been done yet but i'd like to create a journey post along the way while i get this done.

i'm sure i'm going to have a couple of questions but i've done this before on other cars so i'm confident with my abilities, i just never had to find a different spot to mount a separate head unit in a newer vehicle, lol.

the reason i'm going this route is because i like the control that aftermarket head units have over the sound system along with being able to tweak settings at the aftermarket amplifier. the last system i built was in a 2003 dodge ram, when i was done with it snare hits were felt in the chest, highs were sweet but not too bright, just clear and loud enough to hear when the drum stick hit a cymbal in the midst of a guitar solo and channels were very distinctive. i could crank that up without distortion or bass loss... i miss that. i miss that alot.

the current equipment list:

Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS

Focal 165K2P front components (already had)

Infinity Reference REF-375TX Tweeters (in case the Focal TN52's are too bright)

Focal RCX 130 Rear 2 way

No rear deck speakers will be used

Old School Sound Stream Rubicon 4 channel amp (already had)

2X JL Audio 10W6V2's in Sealed boxes (already had)

Zapco ST-1650XM II Subwoofer Amp (already had)

Boom Matting

Speaker Baffles which i will modify as needed (mainly to water protect the speakers on the top side)

14 gauge speaker wiring throughout

Since i work for a GM dealer as a parts manager i already printed out pretty much every schematic and panel removal document needed for this job.

if anyone needs information or parts let me know, i'll hook you up!

sorry for the long post but i figured some people might be interested in this since i've seen many many many posts complaining about the factory stereo in the SS

the only question i have at the moment is:

Does anyone know where the turn signal, backup alarm, key dinger and other vehicle chimes come from? is it the drivers door or all the factory speakers?

my plan is to keep the center channel and move whichever speaker wires makes the factory chime come out the center channel if it doesn't already. so i keep the factory noises and can retain navigation voices since settings and navigation is all the factory stereo will be used for.

Automotive tire Automotive design Audio equipment Electronic instrument Motor vehicle

Eyewear Goggles Gadget Font Cool

·
Super Moderator
9,087 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read through the entire post earlier, thats a sick setup but i'd rather not mess with the factory box to be honest (did you ever get the heated seat buttons working properly?) i wanted to do something that i could remove and re-use without altering the factory components, i even ordered 2 new A-pillars in case i have to modify the ones in the car so i have a fresh set to put back in! i guess you could call what i'm doing a stealth install?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The turn signal, beeps, etc come from a variety of speakers, depending on what they're signifying, front, rear, etc. The stock head unit feeds those various signals through the Bose amp. Cross traffic alert in the back? Beeps out of the rear speaker on the side the oncoming car is coming from. Hard to work around.

·
Super Moderator
9,087 Posts
I read through the entire post earlier, thats a sick setup but i'd rather not mess with the factory box to be honest (did you ever get the heated seat buttons working properly?) i wanted to do something that i could remove and re-use without altering the factory components, i even ordered 2 new A-pillars in case i have to modify the ones in the car so i have a fresh set to put back in! i guess you could call what i'm doing a stealth install?
It was not my project, I just wanted to give you an idea of what had been done (and in the end, undone). Good luck in your endeavor, certainly keep us posted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The turn signal, beeps, etc come from a variety of speakers, depending on what they're signifying, front, rear, etc. The stock head unit feeds those various signals through the Bose amp. Cross traffic alert in the back? Beeps out of the rear speaker on the side the oncoming car is coming from. Hard to work around.
Thank you!

sounds like a job for a pair of mini speakers from parts express! i'll hook the factory speaker output wires up to those and mount them inside the door for the front, for the rears i'll hook the factory subwoofers back up since i'm not using those and splice the rear door speaker wires to those as well, problem solved! i wasn't sure if it was like some of the other GM models where all those noises came from the drivers door speaker

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was not my project, I just wanted to give you an idea of what had been done (and in the end, undone). Good luck in your endeavor, certainly keep us posted.

ahh ok, thank you. yea mine is a bit different i'm trying to leave as much of the factory wiring/modules/radio intact and just run all my own wiring. looks like the connectors that go from the body to the doors have some "not used" slots so i'll use those to run my own speaker wire through the factory door harnesses. the goal is to completely bypass the factory stereo all together, wiring and all. i even have a "Y" adapter coming to share the roof antenna with the aftermarket radio cable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you locating the Pioneer? If I were doing this, I'd mount the silver box wherever, order a new sunvisor and remote mount the Pioneer face plate/display into the sunvisor via some wiring and connectors.

i havent figured that part out yet, tomorrow morning i'm going to start looking for a location, i'd hate to do it but i was thinking about modifying the armrest cubby hole and mounting it vertically in there. or under the drivers seat if there is room. the head unit is APP controlled so most of the settings and functions can be controlled via cell phone. but i may look into remote mounting the faceplate... i am good with a soldering iron....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you locating the Pioneer? If I were doing this, I'd mount the silver box wherever, order a new sunvisor and remote mount the Pioneer face plate/display into the sunvisor via some wiring and connectors.
thank you for the link! i ordered the faceplate connectors if i decide to go that route, seems like a great option, i may mount the faceplate in front of the shifter, i rarely ever put anything there anyway! i also emailed metra about their ASWC-1 steering wheel control kit. the site says it was never tested on the SS so i volunteered my vehicle as a test vehicle if they wanted to send me one! we'll see what they say!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some progress pics, didn't get to spend a whole lot of time but i got done what i could!

The trunk as of now before i did anything else back there
Hood Motor vehicle Car Trunk Automotive design

the start of the process, i kind of boogered up the foam insulator but you won't see that once the panel is on anyway.

i had to make my own mounting points in the rear speaker bracket so it would fit properly, i also had to oval out the 3 mounting holes so it fit properly in the factory location. i used "D" shaped weatherstripping to create a rubber seal between the speaker and the door to ensure no rattles occur, i also added boom matt behind the speaker on the inside of the door.

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Trunk Wood

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Steering part

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Flowerpot

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wouldn't solder any connections as that gives a weak point (where the solder ends on the wire)- just use crimp connectors like they do on aircraft. The sound for the flashers comes from a chip on the cluster PCB IIRC. It will most likely be the same chip as the Malibu cluster uses as the Malibu cluster was used as the basis for the Commodore cluster pcb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
small update, got both rear doors done and wired up! next job will be the fronts, i'm going to try to make time this week but work is nuts so i'm not sure if i'll have any updates until next week, but everything is going smoothly!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive exterior Gas
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior
Finger Automotive design Nail Thumb Creative arts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another little update. i had a little time so i took the front door panels off.... and i figured out why i could never get the stereo to sound any kind of decent.... Someone or some machine at the assembly plant FORGOT TO PUT THE RIGHT FRONT WOOFER IN THE DOOR..... i've owned this car since new, the right front door panel was never removed before today.... WTF!!!! Being that i work for GM i'm going to contact our DMA to see if there is any way they can get one for me because if i sell/trade the car in i want to put it back to factory, i'm taking special care not to make any holes or cut any wiring.

Anyone have the screen names for GM customer care on here? i know there used to be a few GM CCA people on here. i'd like to have a little chat with them as well as our DMA about paying for 50,000 car only to find out its missing pieces.

anywho, here are some pics!

Took the door panel off to find this..... NO WOOFER, not even an outline where the old one should have been.... the wire for it was tucked up and to the right towards the window motor.... at least i know i'm not crazy when i said it never sounded correct from the beginning....

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

found the wire!

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Drivers side had one....

Hood Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

Mounted a front woofer and tested the window for clearance, good to go, had to button it up for the day as it started to rain. drivers side woofer and wiring next time!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Anyone have the screen names for GM customer care on here? i know there used to be a few GM CCA people on here. i'd like to have a little chat with them as well as our DMA about paying for 50,000 car only to find out its missing pieces.

·
Super Moderator
9,087 Posts
800 222 1020

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
800 222 1020
thank you! i'm going to email our DMA tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do, that is kind of ridiculous that you spend that kind of money only to find out that since day 1 of ownership it was improperly equipped causing 5 years of ownership with a crappy sounding stereo system, even worse than what most people had mentioned about these cars!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts