Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
@Yoram - after rereading all that has been said here and then going back and looking at the specs for the tires you currently have on the car - if I were in your shoes right now, I'd try to see if the dealer would negotiate a deal on swapping out the rear tires and go to a 285/35ZR-19 103Y XL. You'll have a much stronger tire, would match the fronts, and fit the wheel perfectly. I'm also willing to bet it would improve handling and make the car look even better too!

My thinking is that is your cheapest route to go.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Yoram - after rereading all that has been said here and then going back and looking at the specs for the tires you currently have on the car - if I were in your shoes right now, I'd try to see if the dealer would negotiate a deal on swapping out the rear tires and go to a 285/35ZR-19 103Y XL. You'll have a much stronger tire, would match the fronts, and fit the wheel perfectly. I'm also willing to bet it would improve handling and make the car look even better too!

My thinking is that is your cheapest route to go.
Hi stvmoe75,
Thanks a lot for the further inputs and apologies for my delayed reply - I was out of town and pretty much off the grid.
I am largely following your thinking. Met with the service manager last Thursday and presented my case. He will need to align with the sales manager as it's the sales dept who was ultimately responsible for buying and selling me the car. Waiting to hear back; if needed will follow up with them later this week. The only difference in my approach vs yours is that I prefer to stay with the OEM sizes in order to preserve the handling balance; I'm concerned that increase in rear tire width without a matching increase in the front may increase understeer. I also want to ensure absolutely no risk of rear fender rubbing with my +49 offsets. Finally, for public road use I tend to avoid "over tiring" as it makes cars more "digital" and less fun at "brisk yet rational" speeds.

Since the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 275/35-R19 do not exist in XL rating, I will need to change the fronts as well to match the new rears (another point of argument to try to get them to pay at least for the rears). I am aiming at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which exist in the OEM sizes and speed/load ratings. I plan to do the swap once my replacement Forgestar arrives.

Will update you/the forum on progress.

Reactions: stvmoe75

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My mistake, it’s 199. I compared to the fronts 98 rating. Yes, XL is a stronger tire but a 3,130 rear axle capacity with the 96Y’s should be adequate with proper inflation and minimal load as he stated. I believe his front tires are still factory rated so he has not lost 800 lbs capacity, only 398. The 100 XL would be better choice but I still lean towards an issue with the wheel itself.
I missed acknowledging BamaLope's and others' feedback due to my time off... thanks and sorry!
As y'all would expect I tend to see it the same way as BamaLope that the wheel is the prime culprit, ahead of the tire. But I also agree that the rear tires need to be upgraded to 100Y XL. As for the mentioned general risk of damage to alloy wheels with low profile tires, I agree as well and have unfortunately had many experiences of bent rims, but never a failure mode like this one - major breakage in the middle of the rim with both flanges/lips intact. Conceivably a rock or other hard object nudged by a front wheel or another car to a "perfect" position cleanly in the middle of the rear wheel... I guess bigger freak events happened.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi stvmoe75,
Thanks a lot for the further inputs and apologies for my delayed reply - I was out of town and pretty much off the grid.
I am largely following your thinking. Met with the service manager last Thursday and presented my case. He will need to align with the sales manager as it's the sales dept who was ultimately responsible for buying and selling me the car. Waiting to hear back; if needed will follow up with them later this week. The only difference in my approach vs yours is that I prefer to stay with the OEM sizes in order to preserve the handling balance; I'm concerned that increase in rear tire width without a matching increase in the front may increase understeer. I also want to ensure absolutely no risk of rear fender rubbing with my +49 offsets. Finally, for public road use I tend to avoid "over tiring" as it makes cars more "digital" and less fun at "brisk yet rational" speeds.

Since the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 275/35-R19 do not exist in XL rating, I will need to change the fronts as well to match the new rears (another point of argument to try to get them to pay at least for the rears). I am aiming at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which exist in the OEM sizes and speed/load ratings. I plan to do the swap once my replacement Forgestar arrives.

Will update you/the forum on progress.

Update:
My dealer and I agreed to a (nominal) 50/50 cost split for a set of 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (OEM size & rating), my out of pocket cost $750 including mount/balance and 4 wheel alignment. Now awaiting the replacement Forgestar (a couple more weeks) to consummate the deal.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Final Update: Have the replacement Forgestar (perfect color match) and 4 new Pilot Sport 4S (correct load rating!) installed per the plan. Car runs beautifully. Hoping to wear them all the way down with no new road hazard drama. Thank you @stvmoe75!

Reactions: stvmoe75
21 - 26 of 26 Posts