Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about my truck. I'm not apart of any Cummins forums so I figured I'd ask here.

Two nights ago my rim broke where the outside changes to the inside of the rim. Just below where the bead seats.

I was cruise controlling at 60mph and the when it broke it yanked the steering wheel straight right. Which was a rock wall. (ocean on the left, rock mtn on the right)
I wasn't able to over correct it quick enough to keep me from hitting the front bumper against the rocks but kept the truck from getting completely pitted. It wedged into the rock wall and the short ditch. My snowmobile flew out of the truck but was luckily undamaged. Appears that when I hit the mtn a rock piece broke free cause something hit down on my bed cap and crushed a portion of my bed. Airbag light was on but no airbags went off. Read window blew out. Cab is smashed in along with the rear door, and obviously the front tire area is pretty messed up including the front bumper and fender.

I hit my face on the steering wheel but other than a sore back, hurt wrist, and bloody nose I'm mostly unscathed.

So that's a decent summary of events, my question is, should I pursue Dodge making this right or just file an insurance claim and let the insurance company go after dodge? I'd rather not have my rates go up if Dodge can just handle it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is about my truck. I'm not apart of any Cummins forums so I figured I'd ask here.

Two nights ago my rim broke where the outside changes to the inside of the rim. Just below where the bead seats.

I was cruise controlling at 60mph and the when it broke it yanked the steering wheel straight right. Which was a rock wall. (ocean on the left, rock mtn on the right)
I wasn't able to over correct it quick enough to keep me from hitting the front bumper against the rocks but kept the truck from getting completely pitted. It wedged into the rock wall and the short ditch. My snowmobile flew out of the truck but was luckily undamaged. Appears that when I hit the mtn a rock piece broke free cause something hit down on my bed cap and crushed a portion of my bed. Airbag light was on but no airbags went off. Read window blew out. Cab is smashed in along with the rear door, and obviously the front tire area is pretty messed up including the front bumper and fender.

I hit my face on the steering wheel but other than a sore back, hurt wrist, and bloody nose I'm mostly unscathed.

So that's a decent summary of events, my question is, should I pursue Dodge making this right or just file an insurance claim and let the insurance company go after dodge? I'd rather not have my rates go up if Dodge can just handle it.
Glad to hear you are OK. Some more vehicle details would be helpful. I also don’t see a angle on this were it ends up in Dodge’s lap. Where you on your way home from the dealership directly after you purchased it brand new when this happen? Rims and tires are considered wear items and are only SOMETIMES covered within a specified period of time, less than 5k miles from new as a example, this can vary by brand and issue. I really don’t envision Dodge helping you out on this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear you are OK. Some more vehicle details would be helpful. I also don’t see a angle on this were it ends up in Dodge’s lap. Where you on your way home from the dealership directly after you purchased it brand new when this happen? Rims and tires are considered wear items and are only SOMETIMES covered within a specified period of time, less than 5k miles from new as a example, this can vary by brand and issue. I really don’t envision Dodge helping you out on this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
How are rims considered wear items?

Stock wheels and stock suspension. Truck is just under 2 years old.

I don't think rims should shear in half.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem you have is how do you determined that it's a manufacturing defect and not damage from your use?
Totally agree haha.

I can't seem to upload a picture. Just switched from windows to MacBook and aren't familiar with this new file type for my pictures but the forum says invalid file.

I mean worst case scenario I file an insurance claim. The bed is destroyed, looks like a rock came loose from the mtn and fell down crushing the bed rail down. The airbag light is on but no bags deployed so not sure if the system needs maintenance or just to be reset, my wheels are pointed straight but my steering wheel is pointed 90* left, and my traction control is freaking out. So all that along with the extensive body damage will be pretty **** spendy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
How are rims considered wear items?

Stock wheels and stock suspension. Truck is just under 2 years old.

I don't think rims should shear in half.
Rims are the second in line to help absorb all of the driving you do, every bump and pothole goes through a rim. Warranties cover manufacting defects, its almost impossible to prove that a rim failed from a manufacturing defect 2 years out, its much more likely from the stresses of its environment.

Let’s say they would cover your rim. From your description that side of the truck impacted the cliff. Correct? Now they can simply say the observed damage of the broken rim is from the impact. It would be much different if you found the cracked rim while the truck was parked in your driveway for you file a warranty claim. It would still be unlikely to be covered 2 years out. Does your truck have TPMS? It should have let you know pressure was getting low.

I’m not here to make you upset, you asked for opinions, this is mine.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rims are the second in line to help absorb all of the driving you do, every bump and pothole goes through a rim. Warranties cover manufacting defects, its almost impossible to prove that a rim failed from a manufacturing defect 2 years out, its much more likely from the stresses of its environment.

Let’s say they would cover your rim. From your description that side of the truck impacted the cliff. Correct? Now they can simply say the observed damage of the broken rim is from the impact. It would be much different if you found the cracked rim while the truck was parked in your driveway for you file a warranty claim. It would still be unlikely to be covered 2 years out. Does your truck have TPMS? It should have let you know pressure was getting low.

I’m not here to make you upset, you asked for opinions, this is mine.
I see what you are saying, I don't know that there was a crack, not sure how I could prove that. I guess I don't really care if there was a crack or not. A rim shearing seems dangerous as ****. If it had been the other side and I hit a family that was killed I'm pretty sure they would be going after the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

Wow, that is nuts - sorry this happened to you.

I think I'd be seriously concerned about a failure of the airbag system as well. Pitching it into a rock embankment at 60 mph and no airbags went off! :eek Just the fact that you hit your face on the wheel hard enough to bloody your nose means that the G-forces on axis were more than significant enough to cause deployment.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

What an ordeal!!! Really good to know you are OK and no one else hurt!
Just going out on a limb, I wonder if a call to one or two product liability lawyers might be helpful, at minimum to put yourself at ease that you explored all options... one of those "initial consultation no charge" and/or "no fee unless we win" deals...
May this never happen again!!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that is nuts - sorry this happened to you.

I think I'd be seriously concerned about a failure of the airbag system as well. Pitching it into a rock embankment at 60 mph and no airbags went off! :eek Just the fact that you hit your face on the wheel hard enough to bloody your nose means that the G-forces on axis were more than significant to cause deployment.
Yeah cut my nose, pretty sure I got a concussion too. Head has been pounding on and off since then. I wasn't sure if a corner impact would set an airbag off or not but the light its definitely lit up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you think the rim failed take close up photos with a ruler for scale and bright lighting. The whole way around. A product liability lawyer might have the contacts to help do the testing, but keep what info you can get (hence the pictures).

For determining the material failure, things that should be getting checked are:
1)material composition. If the alloy balance is off, then the strength of the assumed material is off.
2)point/site defects. Think something like a faulty weld with too much carbon in it, more likely to fail in the service environment. Or an impurity is introduced and has accelerated corrosion leading to a failure. This would be the point where a stress crack would start.
3)visual indications. This can help identify how the material failed and may help figure put what happened (brittle or ductile failure, noting where the indication originates)
(http://recallbmwmotormountbolts.blogspot.com/?m=1)
(http://recallbmwmotormountbolts.blogspot.com/?m=1)

Personally, I think it will be a long, frustrating, and likely unsatisfactory attempt at a warranty repair. Not saying it isn't a manufacturing defect, just saying that the burden of proof is going to be a nightmare.

I had a wheel (tire and rim) come off when all 5 studs failed. Looking at how the studs failed, 2 were definitely ductile failures, two wear brittle failures, with one was hard to tell since it had some characteristics of both and it was the most damaged by the tire departing. That wheel had bee removed by 2 different garages in the previous two months, one for the state inspection (and that tire was removed to check the brakes), the one before that to replace the hub. Our best guess is 2 or 3 studs were over torqued (by alot) and stretched past yield and took awhile to fail. When they finally did fail, the stress to the remaining bolts caused the remaining failures. We never found the tire. The tire came off in southern GA during a road trip from VA to FL. Me, my kids, and my parents were in the Explorer at highway speed when it happened; trooper was surprised we stopped without wrecking (esp since it was an Explorer). So I definitely understand the anger and frustration part, and the need to know WTH just happened.

The airbags not deploying are definitely the more solid route to pursue; no matter why you crashed, they should have gone off from what you described. Whether they will share the accelerometer data or not though, that could be a fight too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts