Chevy SS Forum banner
781 - 800 of 827 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Smh. Thanks for translating, I didn’t catch that! I’ll talk to my guy Monday.
They shoulda' told you ... make sure they ordered and have the parts in hand BEFORE you take her back.
Will do for sure! My advisor left for vacation the day I dropped it off. Wonder what the 4 miles of test drive was for then? And why did it need to be changed to sport mode?...

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
Will do for sure! My advisor left for vacation the day I dropped it off. Wonder what the 4 miles of test drive was for then? And why did it need to be changed to sport mode?...
c'mon ... you KNOW why.

Did you check your rear tires???

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
c'mon ... you KNOW why.

I do unfortunately. I was a little annoyed at the time but figured as long as it was getting the job done I’d take it. Seeing as that may not be the case it gets my hackles up a bit again.
Not until I got home 13 miles later. They didn’t really look worse for wear.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Update:
My advisor says that they just received the parts today. I asked if they'd touched the brakes at all to which was an adamant "NO". So I asked what the 3 mile test drive in sport mode was for. Waiting on a reply. Not sure I handled it correctly but we'll see what happens. :unsure:

Reactions: SS_Scott and CB750

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
c'mon ... you KNOW why.

Took my car in for a service, forgot to record my odo miles but figured dashcam would notice anything unusual. Reviewing the video, only a few seconds of the car being parked next to service office, and rolling out for pickup, there was no video at all. I'm certain they unplugged the camera, it would have started recording whenever they opened the car door.

ALWAYS note the odometer on your SS when you take it in for service.

ETA: Most recent TSB fixed my brake squeal issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great advice! Did they know the tsb number or did you have to provide it to them?
Took my car in for a service, forgot to record my odo miles but figured dashcam would notice anything unusual. Reviewing the video, only a few seconds of the car being parked next to service office, and rolling out for pickup, there was no video at all. I'm certain they unplugged the camera, it would have started recording whenever they opened the car door.

ALWAYS note the odometer on your SS when you take it in for service.

ETA: Most recent TSB fixed my brake squeal issue.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Update:
My advisor says that they just received the parts today. I asked if they'd touched the brakes at all to which was an adamant "NO". So I asked what the 3 mile test drive in sport mode was for. Waiting on a reply. Not sure I handled it correctly but we'll see what happens. :unsure:
... send me my 25 cents :smile

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Update:
My advisor says that they just received the parts today. I asked if they'd touched the brakes at all to which was an adamant "NO". So I asked what the 3 mile test drive in sport mode was for. Waiting on a reply. Not sure I handled it correctly but we'll see what happens.
... send me my 25 cents /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan//smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Do you accept PayPal? ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently had my SS in for the brake squeal issue. It had originally started in reverse only but then gradually would happen when rolling to a slow stop going forward.

They ordered the copper coating as well as a hardware kit. After it being picked up I don't hear it any more going forward but still hear some squeal when backing out of the garage. I should have checked here first because they only did the rear brakes, which is usually what you will hear squealing when going in reverse.

Honestly I'm just glad that it fixed the slow roll forward squeal as I'm driving a car with less than 5k miles and it makes it look ghetto as **** when it squeals. I take better care of my stuff than that!

My service advisor, I work for the GM dealer btw, told me that they had a lady with a 15 SS that eventually traded it back in because the brakes wouldn't stop squealing.

So here's the kicker... After picking it up from service I noticed that they scratched the driver rear door. I'm in the process of getting it to the right person that I think can get it out. It's not super deep which is good. Just floors me that a franchise dealer, and one I work for at that, wouldn't take care enough to not scratch this car.

Will try to remember to update after I get more miles on this supposed fix.

Reactions: iratollah

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
The minor squeaking will never go away completely. Sounds like what you're hearing are the normal squeaks from a performance braking system. Every bmw i've had since 2001 has squeaked a little bit.

The shim replacement discussed here fixes the horrendous shriek when moving forward.

Reactions: Taze

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Mine is much better but certainly not gone completely. Sometimes I laugh, and others I'm glad I'm short and nobody can see me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The minor squeaking will never go away completely. Sounds like what you're hearing are the normal squeaks from a performance braking system. Every bmw i've had since 2001 has squeaked a little bit.

The shim replacement discussed here fixes the horrendous shriek when moving forward.
I'm taking it back in tomorrow for a Radio Module replacement as I'm having bluetooth issues. MyLink sucks so bad that I'm guessing it's just the horrible system but Warranty Services approved it so why not. :p

I mentioned to the Advisor about the front brakes. He mentioned that they've just released, 11/30/18, a TSB on the 17's that mention the front brakes. Good thing since they're still squeaking moving forward.

Nice to know that brake squeak is somewhat normal, although annoying, on performance braking systems.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts

I mentioned to the Advisor about the front brakes. He mentioned that they've just released, 11/30/18, a TSB on the 17's that mention the front brakes. Good thing since they're still squeaking moving forward.

Interesting. Can you possibly get the TSB number on that?

(or can anyone else here with "connections" look this up and provide it?)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Interesting. Can you possibly get the TSB number on that?

(or can anyone else here with "connections" look this up and provide it?)

all it says is cleaning the abutment areas and lube them , for the front

#17-NA-040: Brake Squeal or Squeak Noise Intermittently on Initial Brake Applies - (Nov 30, 2018)

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
The recent changes to TSB 17-NA-040 only involve adding other GM car model years to be included in the TSB.

November 30, 2018 – Added the 2018 and 2019 Model Years.

TSB 17-NA-040 now includes:

Buick Regal GS 2013 to 2019
Cadillac ATS 2013 to 2019
Cadillac XTS 2013 to 2019
Cadillac CTS (VIN A) 2014 to 2019
Cadillac ATS-V 2016 to 2019
Cadillac CTS-V 2016 to 2019
Cadillac CT6 2016 to 2019
Chevrolet Corvette 2014 to 2019
Chevrolet SS 2014 to 2017

The steps for the Chevrolet SS are still the same in TSB 17-NA-040.

TSB 17-NA-245 for the Chevy SS 2015 to 2017 is the one that includes the steps to replace the rear Brembo clip-on shims and replace them with the updated shims from the "Brake Pad Insulator Kit".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Chevy dealer did the brake squeal TSB on my 2017 SS with 31,000 miles yesterday, the 31st, under warranty.

Nice. They’ve been great to work with so far.

Service advisor printed out the bulletin for me.

Abutments were cleaned and copper lube or paste added to front and rear brakes.

New shim parts installed on rear brakes.

No squeal all the way home.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Three weeks... the brake squeal is back.

When cold and dry, at light to moderate brake pressure.

It’s back.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Three weeks... the brake squeal is back.

When cold and dry, at light to moderate brake pressure.

It’s back.
Are you hearing the horrendous shriek, or just minor squeaking? The minor squeaking will never go away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you hearing the horrendous shriek, or just minor squeaking? The minor squeaking will never go away.
Yes, the horrendous shriek! :eek

It initially came back as intermittent minor squeaks. I have no problems with these noises. :angel

It’s the squeal that causes people to turn and look for the dump truck that causes angst. :serious

When slowing or coming to a stop from city traffic speeds, with light to moderate brake pressure, the squeal will start and continue until stopped, or releasing some pressure, then stopping harder as I close in on the car or intersection ahead.

I have to modulate the pressure coming to a stop to drive around the loud noise.

It raises its ugly head mostly in normal traffic braking situations, when cold and dry.

The squeal is so loud and piercing, at times, it’s almost comical.

The first time this squeal showed up was last winter, it started as minor squeaks, then got worse.

I went out to a long country road, and did 7 hard braking events from 60 to 15 MPH or so to burnish the brakes.

I would have done 8, but I made myself nauseous, lol.

The squeal was gone!

This year, the brake burnishing fix didn’t work for me.

So I took it to the dealer.

I’ll take it back.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Bummer, sounds like they half-assed the procedure. Makes me wonder if they replaced the shims that they said they ordered. Mine has been good for 10k+ miles with those new shims. Hopefully they get yours done right. That loud squeal gets obnoxious quick.

781 - 800 of 827 Posts