Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 827 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PI1496A December 23, 2015

This will solve the brake squeal issue for 2015 front and rear Brembos.

NB:

You/dealer must read the whole bulletin.

Synopsis:

Clean pad sides and back (if grease has been applied to back of pad). Clean calipers in same area(s). Apply NO GREASE on back of pad. Apply copper paste to front AND REAR pads as directed.

Important notes:

1- DO NOT remove the silencers.

2- Always replace brake pads with Brembo GM OEM pads. Aftermarket pads could result in the braking performance changing in many ways.

So there you have it. Some figured it out already on their own. The guys that replaced their pads wasted money and if you didn't grease them the correct way they will squeal sooner or later.

This is a tested solution.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Just made an appointment for next Friday.
Make sure they print and read the ENTIRE bulletin or they will think it is just for the fronts.

Take the info with you and be insistent they do it by the book and only by the book.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Does detail such as this (new) bulletin ever end up migrating into the Factory Service Manual?

Considering it's basically electronic now, for Techs, it would be sensible that the FSM is either updated constantly, or there's some sort of interface that when a basic procedure (say...Brake Pad Service) is accessed, anything that is new or noteworthy (ie. bulletins) would "flag" in a prominent way so the Tech is made aware of it.

Am I being at all realistic about how the GM service data system works?

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does detail such as this (new) bulletin ever end up migrating into the Factory Service Manual?

Considering it's basically electronic now, for Techs, it would be sensible that the FSM is either updated constantly, or there's some sort of interface that when a basic procedure (say...Brake Pad Service) is accessed, anything that is new or noteworthy (ie. bulletins) would "flag" in a prominent way so the Tech is made aware of it.

Am I being at all realistic about how the GM service data system works?
You are being a bit overly optimistic....

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
This is why CB750 is invaluable to this forum. Everybody is so quick to jump down his throat or dismiss what he says or correct him or call him out or...
People need to understand that he has insight and inside info on things that most or all of us do not. If he gave you or us bad info or no info in the past, there was a reason.
Everybody needs to understand not only what he brings to and provides to this forum, but also the type of person he is. CB is like a big loaf of french bread. He's all hard and crusty on the outside, but soft and sweet on the inside. :)
Cut the guy a break, he provides us with info we'll get nowhere else, at least not in the time frame that he provides it. Thanks CB.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
You are being a bit overly optimistic....
But it should be the "norm", or at least some sort of flagging system. AllData seems to do a pretty good job of it, from what I've seen (and I could be wrong). It's really an impossible task I suppose, with the rate that bulletins are issued these days, considering the greater complexity and systems integration in current vehicles.

Good techs become so by doing their homework, as you (CB) have demonstrated/emphasized....the volume of tech/service information on any single product is enormous, which makes someone who can work on many different products a tremendous asset to a dealership/service center.

This is why CB750 is invaluable to this forum. Everybody is so quick to jump down his throat or dismiss what he says or correct him or call him out or...
Suck-Up :storm:

He's all hard and crusty on the outside, but soft and sweet on the inside.
YUCK!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :yahoo:

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks CB!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I think the bulk of our "way-too-mentioned" brake noise threads can be attributed to very few MY14 complaints of noise from brakes to a bloom of noise complaints for MY15. I myself, have owned two 14 cars. The brakes on these cars are top-notch.... Even without the vaunted Brembo rears... That said, I really don't detect a significant improvement in braking performance between the 14 and 15 cars (I have pushed them pretty hard and although the rear Brembos are more sightly and do have a more "cool-guy" factor, I get almost the same 60 to zero perf). This, however, is not scientific, as I am not using GPS or swiss timing. Look at the aforementioned threads..... HI-PERF brakes ARE going to give you noise, but sometimes that noise CAN be excessive. Higher humidity climates will require lining heating to remove humidity from the pads....Normal!!!. Do not complain about hi-perf brake noise from the first dozen applies....I also think that some of our members who have Tremecs are possibly using the clutch as a primary braking tool allowing disc build-up which we all know can result in NOISE. DO review what has been posted on excessive rear brake noise on MY15... Interesting stuff...

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Thanks for posting CB! I somehow missed this when you posted it last week.

Edit: Oops, reading is fundamental. I see now you posted it today after I left work.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I think the bulk of our "way-too-mentioned" brake noise threads can be attributed to very few MY14 complaints of noise from brakes to a bloom of noise complaints for MY15. I myself, have owned two 14 cars. The brakes on these cars are top-notch.... Even without the vaunted Brembo rears... That said, I really don't detect a significant improvement in braking performance between the 14 and 15 cars (I have pushed them pretty hard and although the rear Brembos are more sightly and do have a more "cool-guy" factor, I get almost the same 60 to zero perf). This, however, is not scientific, as I am not using GPS or swiss timing. Look at the aforementioned threads..... HI-PERF brakes ARE going to give you noise, but sometimes that noise CAN be excessive. Higher humidity climates will require lining heating to remove humidity from the pads....Normal!!!. Do not complain about hi-perf brake noise from the first dozen applies....I also think that some of our members who have Tremecs are possibly using the clutch as a primary braking tool allowing disc build-up which we all know can result in NOISE. DO review what has been posted on excessive rear brake noise on MY15... Interesting stuff...
When your '15 rears start singing for you, you'll understand the "way-too-mentioned" squeal threads. :p

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
PI1496A December 23, 2015

This will solve the brake squeal issue for 2015 front and rear Brembos.

Important notes:

1- DO NOT remove the silencers.

2- Always replace brake pads with Brembo GM OEM pads. Aftermarket pads could result in the braking performance changing in many ways.

This is a tested solution.
I thought about this for awhile after reading the statements quoted--I'm not here to disagree, so bear with me.

GM's interest here is to provide a solution to specific complaints...as your commentary says, a "tested solution".

There are MANY options available to SS owners for alternate brake pads that meet the basic specifications of the brake component supplier (Brembo), with a wide range of materials and friction coefficients, some which MAY perform better (or worse) than the OE brake pad specified.

I find it curious, that (albeit anecdotally), others here with vehicles using the same brake system & pad spec--FMSI D1474/D1050/D1001 (a Tesla, for example) report NO issues with pad squeal even when possibly not using D1474 front pads (without pad dampers).

I'll acknowledge that the unique combination of the pads called out specifically for the SS, with their friction material formulation and coefficient of friction, may in fact be what made them prone to producing noise, and the addition of dampers was part of the solution.

The 5th Generation Camaro (SS) and the SS sedan share the same pad specs and use the same OEM pads by PN, as well as front rotor. It's further of interest that this noise problem would be unique to the SS Sedan--perhaps it's not, but is there a similar bulletin or report of noise with the 2010-2015 Camaro SS with OEM pads?

As Doug (Z51vett) likes to say, copper paste lubricant is (our) friend, apparently. I had previously raised the question about whether the Elizabeth assembly process had, intentionally or not, omitted the proper application of the brake lubricant as possibly being the real issue causing the brake noise problem "in the first place".

At the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, for example, I know that the Corvette Brembo brakes come into the plant pre-assembled as part of the complete upright for each corner, produced off-site but local enough to BGAD for just-in-time inventory (to reduce material pre-positioning space requirements inside the actual plant)--no idea how the VF assembly line works at Elizabeth in this regard, but the Corvette builders in BG don't have a hand in whether the brake lubrication is actually performed as it should be.

Anyway, as a result of what appears to be missing copper paste lubricant, Dealer-level service is having to deal with a failure somewhere back up the line, to correct a problem with a vendor/supplier (not necessarily Brembo, but who else could it be?) at some point before the brakes mate with the vehicle in assembly or the vehicle reaches the dealer--not doing their job when it comes to the brake lube specifics, which are now well-documented.

This brings me back around to the point I wanted to make--it's OK to NOT use the (Brembo GM) OEM pads--just don't expect the same results. It would be just as wrong to state that using the Bridgestone OE tires was "mandatory" for the car to perform correctly, which just isn't the case.

It's even OK to use pads without dampers. Proper lubrication, pad bedding and rotor seasoning provide the same results--what WILL change is that a non-OEM pad can be noisy or quiet, dusty or not, and can result in longer or shorter rotor life, as well as better or poorer brake performance compared to the OEM-spec parts.

What IS true: the bulletin guidance you're providing is what it takes to achieve THE official/approved solution to this specific problem and to maintain the original brake performance--nothing to disagree about in that.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into your statement (bulletin synopsis), but it does stand to reason that IF another brand of pad is used to service the brakes, the bulletin guidance and expected outcome is a "null & void" situation, and the vehicle owner understands that they're on their own IF noise is an issue with a non-spec pad/rotor/lube combination.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Thanks CB and Thanks Navy Lifer. Great to see a bulletin from GM addressing this problem faced by many and also thanks to Navy Lifer for a good explanation of options if one wants to move away from stock. In my case, I had some noise but my main reason for changing to ceramic pads was brake dust and not squeal. Anything that happens that's pad related moving forward is on me, I accept that.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The constant squeal (as opposed to the first few application squeal) is NOT the lining material or the dampers. The rear constant squeal is due to the lack of copper paste ONLY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
The constant squeal (as opposed to the first few application squeal) is NOT the lining material or the dampers. The rear constant squeal is due to the lack of copper paste ONLY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

I suppose that makes sense why the noise would go away (for me) when the roads were wet. I enjoyed the few days of silence. Now that it's been colder and dry, mine are singing again. Now that the TSB is updated, I need to make an appointment.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Need a link to the TSB. Gotta have it in hand for the guys at he dealership...
The dealer can view it on the screen and print it out if you just give them the PI number cited in the first post.

Perhaps someone more reckless than me will post the 4 pages.

Not me.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
After Googling that PI number, this appears to an amendment to the existing brake pad tsb that covered the 2014 fronts. Is that right?

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After Googling that PI number, this appears to an amendment to the existing brake pad tsb that covered the 2014 fronts. Is that right?
correctamundo.

1 - 20 of 827 Posts