Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect I may have my heating elements burned out on my 14 SS.
The cooled seats work fine, but when I turn on the seat heaters, even after 10 min both seats are still cool to the touch even with people sitting in them.
I checked the fuse under the hood and it was good, is there anything else I should check?

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts

·
Banned
311 Posts
Hey, OP, if you're adept at reading wiring diagrams, this should help. I'm going to bet the element is most likely burned out, but you should at least be able to narrow it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Data point; my driver's side seat heater went on on my '15 last year. Dealership replaced the heating element under warranty. I'd suspect you're right about faulty element.
Fuses were fine, passenger's side kept working, coolers were good in both...

Reactions: willy92

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
Reading is fundamental:

"when I turn on the seat heaters, even after 10 min both seats are still cool to the touch even with people sitting in them."

So if the OP's description/symptoms are correct both the left and right seat bottom as well as seat back heater elements are not working.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Reading is fundamental:
I'm going to guess this passive aggressive jab is directed at me since you've had a boner for me as long as I've been on here. Anyway, you're right! Reading IS fundamental, like how most people can read the original questions posited on this site and just cut to the chase with an answer, or try to help. But I digress. At least I can admit I am wrong and that I glossed over the OP's post alluding to the entire heated seat system being inoperable, in lieu of a single portion. That said, the schematic is still relevant and is more help than you've provided thus far.

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
I'm going to guess this passive aggressive jab is directed at me since you've had a boner for me as long as I've been on here. Anyway, you're right! Reading IS fundamental, like how most people can read the original questions posited on this site and just cut to the chase with an answer, or try to help. But I digress. At least I can admit I am wrong and that I glossed over the OP's post alluding to the entire heated seat system being inoperable, in lieu of a single portion. That said, the schematic is still relevant and is more help than you've provided thus far.
No I don't have a problem with you.

Without further details from this new guy who obviously is a second+ owner there is no way a "guess" or direction can be given; hence my post #2. He could have bought one of the many flood, rebuilt crash cars or just a previously crashed car. That certainly makes a huge difference in analyzing his issue.

Following the diagnostic tree is job 1. First on the tree is is the history of the car.

·
Banned
311 Posts

Without further details from this new guy who obviously is a second+ owner there is no way a "guess" or direction can be given; hence my post #2. He could have bought one of the many flood, rebuilt crash cars or just a previously crashed car. That certainly makes a huge difference in analyzing his issue.

Following the diagnostic tree is job 1. First on the tree is is the history of the car.
That makes sense and I agree with your points. Thanks for being rational about it all. I'm sorry that I hastily assume things. I guess that's the problem with text....difficult to infer tone and emotion.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I am indeed an new guy/second owner and my apologies for not giving more info.
Working as a Service advisor for the past 18 years I should have known better.
If it helps my car is a White 2014 with right at 99,000 miles on it. Automatic transmission, I am the second owner while carfax does not always tell you everything the only thing it did tell me when I bought it was in 2015 it was in a minor rear end collision that only required the bumper cover to be replaced. It does not have a salvage title, am 100% sure it wasn’t a flood car as everything else on the car works fine, and I don’t see any of the signs of flooding.
The wiring diagram is what I needed. I can follow that and check for voltage to see if I’m getting power to the elements. I was also asking just in case there was a known issue that could affect both seats.
No hard feelings most of the great techs I have known are always getting bombarded with stupid questions with not enough info to start with.

Reactions: CB750 and SS_Scott

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Yes, and the history I would want to know is IF they worked for him before and now quit.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Interesting. I am indeed an new guy/second owner and my apologies for not giving more info.
Working as a Service advisor for the past 18 years I should have known better.
If it helps my car is a White 2014 with right at 99,000 miles on it. Automatic transmission, I am the second owner while carfax does not always tell you everything the only thing it did tell me when I bought it was in 2015 it was in a minor rear end collision that only required the bumper cover to be replaced. It does not have a salvage title, am 100% sure it wasn’t a flood car as everything else on the car works fine, and I don’t see any of the signs of flooding.
The wiring diagram is what I needed. I can follow that and check for voltage to see if I’m getting power to the elements. I was also asking just in case there was a known issue that could affect both seats.
No hard feelings most of the great techs I have known are always getting bombarded with stupid questions with not enough info to start with.
Thank the Lord we now know it is White and has an automatic,
I kid :)

seriously though I think you are spot on, check the fuses then for power at the elements. Looks like there is a pressure switch for them too, don't forget about that.

·
Registered
16 PBM, Roof and Spare
15 Posts
Hey, OP, if you're adept at reading wiring diagrams, this should help. I'm going to bet the element is most likely burned out, but you should at least be able to narrow it down.
So if I'm reading this diagram correctly, both drivers and passenger seats go thru the heat control module under the passenger seat cushion? The control module under the drivers cushion has no bearing on the heat?

·
Banned
311 Posts
So if I'm reading this diagram correctly, both drivers and passenger seats go thru the heat control module under the passenger seat cushion? The control module under the drivers cushion has no bearing on the heat?
Yes that would be correct. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I seldom log in anymore because this site sucks @$$.

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
Yes that would be correct. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I seldom log in anymore because this site sucks @$$.
Thank you for assisting the other member with his inquiry into the heat control module. I'm sorry that you don't enjoy the forum and that you experience a vacuum sensation on your posterior. While I don't think it related to the seat heater or the heater control module, it certainly may be related to the door. In case you are not near your car at the moment, I will be happy to show you the door. Enjoy Fakebook.

Reactions: willy92 and ESindon

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Thinking about fixing for next winter. Brought home the FLIR. Drivers Seat showing small patch and seat back shows nothing. Any suggestions? And wondering if anyone who has replaced them only to have them fail again.
All wiring untouched, ECM and TCM tuned.
Passenger:

Drivers:

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Thinking about fixing for next winter. Brought home the FLIR. Drivers Seat showing small patch and seat back shows nothing. Any suggestions? And wondering if anyone who has replaced them only to have them fail again.
All wiring untouched, ECM and TCM tuned.
Passenger:

Drivers:
Driver's Side Seat Heater Replacement

I don't know if it will help but I had a similar issue. In my post in the linked thread (see post #14), there are some body control module part numbers that were replaced which corrected the issue. I just squeaked in with ~2 weeks left on CPO so I am no help on the R&R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts