Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
SOOOO what do YOU think??? Do you really believe that the corporate overlords that have the ultimate control of these devices, will respect your, or for that matter,,, anyone's PRIVACY??? Once the network has been "Built Out", do you think you can retain control of the content???? ITS STORED ON SOMEONE ELSES COMPUTER (THE CLOUD?) that YOU do NOT own!! You had to agree to this in the (EULA!!)!!!

Smoke Crack Much????

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Surveillance Capitalism!!!!

How does that sound??? Make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside??? YET???

Props and RIP to a modern day pundit/prophet,,, FRANK ZAPPA!!

:(

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
There is no escaping it!!! Even the supposedly secure phones used by what are supposed to be insular, Law Enforcement/Security entities!!!

Thanks,, Google, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T,,,,,,, for making Surveillance Capitalism, the cudgel of a once free society!!!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
"Mason also extracted the data from a Chevrolet infotainment computer that I bought used on eBay for $375. It contained enough data to reconstruct the Upstate New York travels and relationships of a total stranger. We know he or she frequently called someone listed as “Sweetie,” whose photo we also have. We could see the exact Gulf station where they bought gas, the restaurant where they ate (called Taste China) and the unique identifiers for their Samsung Galaxy Note phones."

What does your car know about you? We hacked a Chevy to find out.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
And In this mornings crop of news....

THIS!!!

A bit on topic, a bit of a drift...
Doing a street photography project in our Theatre District some people would get very upset with me taking their picture, even threatening violence. "You have no right to take my picture!" they'd shout at me. Uhhh, you're walking in downtown Houston and don't think you're on a camera on every single block? And oh by the way, I have every right to take your picture if you're out in public.
In this modern era people are more than happy to define the rights of others v their own.

This man was about 6'4" and really got all up and over me yelling to delete the picture I took and telling me he ought to knock me on my backside. I asked him if he really wanted to talk that way and then followed him to the end of the block insisting he let me send him a print, he'd really like it.

The policeman was coming toward me to tell me people were complaining about the photographer so I of course had to take his picture. Second image is after I reminded him we're on public property so perhaps he should go find other things to occupy himself.

I worked on this project for about three months and have quite a few keepers, all with the same basic shadow theme. I fully understand how having someone who looks like me come up close to you and take a flash photo of you at night could be unsettling. That's life in the big city. But at least folks know I'm taking their picture as opposed to the many dozens of unseen cameras tracking them.
Epilogue: Several of my images were selected for a juried exhibition and one is now displayed in a major collector's home next to his Warhol Wall.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Coming to the USA,,, another Chinese Import, of a technology we pioneered here in the good ol USA!!! SOON,,,, SOONER THAN YOU THINK!!

SKYNET!!!

Think it cant happen here???? At least this time,,, we wont need to be TATTOOED WITH A NUMBER!!! Worse,,, it'll probably be a BAR CODE THIS TIME!!!

:mad:

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
QR code !!!

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Americans are increasingly (and disturbingly) willing to sacrifice individual freedoms for the Collective Good. The Collective Good they believe makes us safer once we yield control of our lives to government because individuals cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
A Trip Down Memory Lane!!!

AHHHHH,,, The Good Ol Days!!! When adversaries still had a modicum of respect for the craft!!! Back then it was cool subterfuge,,, NOW,,, EVERYBODY has has every last one of their keystrokes logged, AND NOBODY consciously gives gives a $#!T!!! Thats cuz Windows Malware Version (10) is now dominant, and IF you did not agree to the license terms,,, then you are now using something else!! Of course,,,, what choice do you REALLY have???? LINUX is not now,, or will ever unfortunately be,, a player at the desktop OS,,, unless you are a Tech Giant or a developer!!!

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
A Trip Down Memory Lane!!!

AHHHHH,,, The Good Ol Days!!! When adversaries still had a modicum of respect for the craft!!! Back then it was cool subterfuge,,, NOW,,, EVERYBODY has has every last one of their keystrokes logged, AND NOBODY consciously gives gives a $#!T!!! Thats cuz Windows Malware Version (10) is now dominant, and IF you did not agree to the license terms,,, then you are now using something else!! Of course,,,, what choice do you REALLY have???? LINUX is not now,, or will ever unfortunately be,, a player at the desktop OS,,, unless you are a Tech Giant or a developer!!!

New one by me!!!

I had a few Selectrics ... I used a lot of correction tape !!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Big brother is watching but private industry and citizens seems to be watching even more than Big Bro!

This thread is to discuss tinfoil hat stuff, reasons why folks want to disable onstar or other tracking technologies like google.

Personally i don't mind the google tracking stuff and enable all of it, basically to test it.
I'm way into it, as one of the creators of the internet.

One question i have for onstar-disablers is:
"which steps if any have you taken to minimize tracking-via-cellphone/celltowers/wifi-connections, or do you even own/carry a cellphone?"

Personally I use open wifi always and sort of want to get hacked via a spoofed man-in-the-middle wifi: "Make my day". I won't pay for a data plan, I prefer $12/month unlimited voice and text. (it's $15 for new customers, republic wireless).

For years I've told all my friends to forward me every computer virus or suspicous email they get. I want to know about all the possible scams. When my friends do get their identity stolen, I can help determine exactly how it happened. One of my buds got his identity stolen via the 'obituary scan' approach, a very effective approach for the criminals. Never allow too much detail in obituaries about the family of the deceased. Obfuscate all the info about all the deceased relatives - do not list home towns or regions whatsoever. Do not list full/middle names. google can give you more advice about that if you have the sad task of approving or writing an obituary.

Have any of your friends/fam/relatives fallen victim to the "we are calling from microsoft tech support, your computer has a virus, please surf to this web site", and then they have to pay a ransom to get their computer back either by paying scammers $500 for a "security audit/program" or similar horse-pucky ? Anyone you know got caught by encryption-ransomware like a bunch of the local police departments?

I find facebook a LOT more annoying than google and have thought of signing off facebook - not because of their 'are your friends nearby' or other geo-tracking, but because of all their other crapola with ads and so many people wasting so much time sharing/liking/self-aggrandizing.

Seems to me that ubiquitous private-citizen/private-industry cellphone cameras and video-cameras are the most insidious tracking devices, for better or for worse. Apparently one protection against that is wearing a mask like it's the old west. Or wearing an 'anonymous' mask. Wearing a mask is very popular among top looters and the many pretend-protesters who are actually thug criminal rioters! It's all the rage!

Let's discuss.
ps - probably nobody here hates Snowden more than me. I hope he returns to USA to own up and face trial and life imprisonment. Most of the very-many successful attacks in USA that have occurred after 9/11 would not have been successful had it not been for the Snowden treason.
I don't see what he did as treason. The Government and all the security services are employed by the people - thats right you and your fellow people who elect your Government (same applies here in Australia) are the bosses of sll the security services (I don't understand why you have so many). If those employees are doing things that are either illegal or not what the electorate expects then it should be made public. The public knowing it's own information is not treason. Passing it on to a declared enemy is but making it public within the country is not.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Food for thought!!

Future Shock!!! As the BORG once said!!! We will all be assimilated,,, and resistance is FUTILE!!!

Sleep tight in those warm and fuzzy jammies at night kiddies!!! I wish I could!!!

😬

41 - 60 of 70 Posts