Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Feeling all warm and fuzzy????? All snug like a bug in a rug???? Think the "Internet Of Things" will make you more secure??? Use "Apps" for EVERYTHING???? Instill blind trust in those devices???? Have your router configured with the factory defaults (Over 60% DO!!)?????

Got a "Ring" doorbell or whatever???? You might wanna have a look at,,,,

THIS!!!

o_O

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Feeling all warm and fuzzy????? All snug like a bug in a rug???? Think the "Internet Of Things" will make you more secure??? Use "Apps" for EVERYTHING???? Instill blind trust in those devices???? Have your router configured with the factory defaults (Over 60% DO!!)?????

Got a "Ring" doorbell or whatever???? You might wanna have a look at,,,,

THIS!!!

o_O
This is common with many wifi devices, but normally this does not happen often if you have a stable connection, and power....

·
Registered
812 Posts
.... I'm increasingly paying cash in stores instead of using my cards for the same reason. There's a certain amount of irony there.
Not to derail the thread further (as if it had any rails), but setting up credit freezes or credit holds with all credit reporting agencies should help against identify theft via unauthorized credit lines. Nothing is bulletproof but I prefer that over giving up the convenience and extra ~30 days of "working capital" with credit cards.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Freedom of movement and Anonymity are highly overrated concepts in the digital world,,, RIGHT!!! Remember Big Brother has your back,,,, RIGHT!!!

You don't even have to say,,, CHEEESSSEEE, to take a pretty picture!!! You don't even know its happening!!! AND that is a problem after all,, AFAIAC!!!

Resistance is FUTILE!!!!

o_O

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
HOW MUCH ARE YOU WORTH???? Would You Believe,,, only $0.20 to $0.40!!!!

That's Right,, all you Social Media Mavens!!! It aint much,, BUT there is good news!!! You can drive that price up based on a number of various different scenarios!!!

Have a look at ,,,, THIS!!

Yeah!!! Zuckerberg, and his cronies are your BFF's,,,, RIGHT!!!

🤮

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
"Google secretly gathered millions of patient records across 21 states, in an effort dubbed “Project Nightingale,” reports The Wall Street Journal. Neither doctors nor patients were made aware of the effort, according to the report.
The Wall Street Journal’s Rob Copeland reports that the data amassed in the program includes “lab results, doctor diagnoses and hospitalization records, among other categories, and amounts to a complete health history, complete with patient names and dates of birth.”"

Google may be secretly gathering millions of personal health records

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
"Google secretly gathered millions of patient records across 21 states, in an effort dubbed “Project Nightingale,” reports The Wall Street Journal. Neither doctors nor patients were made aware of the effort, according to the report.
The Wall Street Journal’s Rob Copeland reports that the data amassed in the program includes “lab results, doctor diagnoses and hospitalization records, among other categories, and amounts to a complete health history, complete with patient names and dates of birth.”"

Google may be secretly gathering millions of personal health records
AANNNDDD In other related news today!!!

The Assimilation Will Continue,,,, Resistance Is FUTILE!!!

o_O

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
SOOOO now we have the plans for a new development called a "Smart (?) City", and of course its in cahoots with a major North American city government!!! They might as well name this "Alphabet (Google), Big Brother Ville"!!

Of course we all know just how trustworthy the overlords a Google/Alphabet are with our precious personal data,,, don't we??? They pinky swear promise,,, they will not mine and sell the data collected!!!! YEAH RIGHT!!! That is,,, until they have amassed enough of it, to make money RENTING it out!!! (GMail is a great example!!!)!!

Since "Data is the New OIL",,, Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, and Sundar Pichay,,,, have become the most powerful executive force on earth!!! The new division will likely be named,,,, "Google Government" or something like that!!!

Only a matter of time before SkyNet goes live!!

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Do you txt everything like a teenager???? Think that somehow, texts are more secure than other forms of communication???? Think texts are using ENCRYPTION by default????

LOL, LMFAO, GTFOH!!!!

FYI!!!

I have used Signal/Whisper app for years now (One of the few "Apps" I actually have vetted and installed as "More reasonably secure than default SMS"). Caveat here is that only Signal subscribers enjoy that level of privacy if both parties are using the service, Transmissions are then encrypted end to end. Even in that scenario, the txt msg's are still encrypted for the first half of the interaction, to the Signal Point of Presence, so its not totally secure,, but still lowers the odds of a "Man In the Middle" exploit!!

Yes,,, this is an endorsement!!! I highly recommend ditching the default SMS function on your phone,,, ASAP!!

:geek:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The problem is that it's impossible to know if the app you are using is secure. (even if it says it is)

The only sure way to communicate privately is to encrypt the message yourself and send that. (If it's that important!)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
The problem is that it's impossible to know if the app you are using is secure. (even if it says it is)

The only sure way to communicate privately is to encrypt the message yourself and send that. (If it's that important!)
Agreed, Nothing is perfect!!! BUT doing NOTHING offers absolutely no deterrent either!!! The average user (99.9999% of the world!) is clueless and in most cases has been "Conditioned" to accept the non existence, of privacy, in practice. How often, when the issue is confronted, do you hear the retort,,, "I have nothing to hide"!!!

o_O

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
As Lech Walesa said : ‘It is easy to turn an aquarium full of fish into soup. The question is: "Can the process be reversed?"

i.e. The cat is already out the bag and it's way too late for most people.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Kevin Mitnick Sez,,,,,

In case you don't know who he is,,,, he was/is, a "Black Hat" hacker that spent time in prison for his successful hacking exploits!!! He is now a "White Hat" Cyber Security expert. This information is just the tip of the iceberg!!! Social engineering is the easiest way to exploit the ultimate vulnerability,,,, the human being!!!

Again,,, tread carefully, and take nothing (Online Security!) for granted!!!

AND in other news of the day,,,,

The "Internet of Things" will NOT make you more secure!!!!

I Know, I Know,,, you have nothing to hide!!! RIGHT!!!

o_O

·
Registered
223 Posts
I find it entertaining that my friend with Ring doorbells, ca,eras, and such have issues often. I've gotten texts asking why I'm at their house an hour a way in the middle of a work day. Reality is that picture was from weeks or months before when I was there on a Saturday. Needless to say they aren't thrilled with the performance they are getting for the money spent.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
SOOOOO,,,,

23 and ME, Ancestry DNA,,,,,

Pick your poison!!! We all know how trustworthy deficit financed genetic testing corporations are!!! RIGHT!!!

Once again,,,, How many of you actually READ an End User License Agreement??? Show of hands please!!!

The interesting passage in these agreements will declare that THEY (Not You!) can change the terms of service anytime, without your approval!!!

If for ONE NANOSECOND, you believe that this data wont be monetized, I have a bridge over the east river, leading from Manhattan to Brooklyn, that I will sell you!!!

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
GeoFence Warrants??? SOOO who really needs the Fourth Amendment????

Since you READ, understand, and agreed to the terms and conditions in the EULA's when you activated your Android/Apple product,, then you should know that EVERYTHING you do with the device is NOT within your purview to control the access to. GeoFence warrants are NOT served upon you,,, but the provider that domiciles and now OWNS the most intimate information you can provide. These issues are still NOT codified by legislation or have worked through the court system to provide guidance in practice, with "Settled" precedent's!!!

It does not matter if you have "Turned Off" location tracking within "Googles" Apps!!! When you do that, the information is still collected!!! Its just no longer displayed within your "Profile" settings, for your entertainment!!

Now, I of course, find that the end result in this case, with the perpetrator being brought to justice, is on the surface, a good thing, the means of that action, is despicable!!!

Fro those of you that assert, "I have nothing to hide",,, have a look at,,,

THIS!!

:(

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
This is today's required reading!!!

Edward Snowden is a brave soul!!! You may not have a high opinion of his individual actions, but the man has principles and has sacrificed everything to bring these issues into the collective consciousness!!! He will be looked upon, at some point, if not today, in the near future, as a PROPHET!! Give him credit for continuing to push forward with bringing to light, the ever expanding assault on each and every one of us, by BOTH the corporate, and by extension, Government surveillance that is so pervasive!!

:(

21 - 40 of 70 Posts