Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Went out to a certified 3M tint shop is the area. Looked at the Crystalline 90 (windshield) and 70 (the rest).
Here's the breakdown:
Windshield - $450
Moonroof - $200
Rest - $650

Still waiting on the Autobahn installer.

Thoughts? Is the price reasonable for the material? They said the Crystalline is very difficult to install. I asked about the limited warranty and was corrected that it is a complete warranty, but for three things.

Went out to a certified 3M tint shop is the area. Looked at the Crystalline 90 (windshield) and 70 (the rest).
Here's the breakdown:
Windshield - $450
Moonroof - $200
Rest - $650

Thoughts? Is the price reasonable for the material? They said the Crystalline is very difficult to install. I asked about the limited warranty and was corrected that it is a complete warranty, but for three things.
I paid a discounted price of $450 in 2016 for Crystalline on front sides, rear sides, and rear window. The owner of the shop threw me a 20% discount.

I ruled out windshield tint. These boomer eyes don't see as well as they once did.

That's alot of money for window tint but IMO worth it if you plan on keeping the car.

Good luck.

Here's the breakdown:
Windshield - $450
Moonroof - $200
Rest - $650

That would be a similar price to my installation and reasonable for the product you selected base on my resent experience.

3M Crystalline is the way to go if you want to block heat. You also have to do the entire windshield if you want to keep the heat down since that is a big piece of glass (greenhouse). They offer the Crystalline in some lighter shades that still block heat. I do 50% on the windshield and 20% on the rest. I did the same on my SUVs and also put 40% over the factory rear tint.

It does seem to be a toss up of the two major brands. I have decided on a ceramic tint for the IR rejection. I appreciate the photos of the installed tint, but it has a side effect that makes me want to wrap my PBM. Burt's tinting in steps help make the windshield look not tinted, which may be a good strategy.

Those with all windows tinited, do you have any cell phone signal, bluetooth or WiFi issues when the tint is between (ie windows up and connecting to something outside of the vehicle)? Basically, trying to confirm minimal losses as I have certain projects that monitor my car. Does the HUD get affected? Anyone use a dash cam with front and rear cameras?

The contenders are:
Crystalline 60
i3 Ceramic 56

I feel like those choices may be too dark as originally I was going to go with 70%, but Autobahn/Hyper Optics doesn't go that high.

Seems that i3 has the best warranty, but I can't find a written description of coverage.

I think the next step is samples and night viewing to confirm the precentage.
I’m running 30% on the windshield, and my dash cam worked perfectly fine. Sidebar: I ended up ditching the cam in search of something better. 🤷‍♂️

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Just a quick update. Autobahun never got back to me with an authorized distributor or a quote, so it looks **** I will be going with 3M Crystalline.

Next biggest question. The CFR has a lot of regulations about windshields. How do I determine if the 90 is legal or not? It isn't a coating (41.205) or a tint, but a film. Just interested for muddling through legalese.

Just a quick update. Autobahun never got back to me with an authorized distributor or a quote, so it looks **** I will be going with 3M Crystalline.

Next biggest question. The CFR has a lot of regulations about windshields. How do I determine if the 90 is legal or not? It isn't a coating (41.205) or a tint, but a film. Just interested for muddling through legalese.
Did you try autobahn/huper optic website for installer location?

Knowing what I know now, I would do a Stek PPF on the outside of the windshield and not worry about tinting the inside. I'm pretty sure you will get UV protection and rock chip protection from a Stek film on the outside. Do the headlights and mirror backs to if you can...

In my state no film on the front windshield is legal except for a small strip across the top. I did an 80% anyway. Which was as light a tint option my shop had in stock.

In my state only trucks, vans, and SUVs can go full dark tint in the rear side and back windshield for some reason sedans get left out. I did it anyway...

In my state we are required to have a front license plate but I wont install it on my SS.

My SS mostly goes to car shows and quick trips on the weekend because I have the luxury of a company truck during the week. I have yet to get pulled over or hassled about any of these and I have had plenty of police eyeballing my SS...

Do at your own discretion. My state is Washington...

Here's the breakdown:
Windshield - $450
Moonroof - $200
Rest - $650

Well, the moonroof sounds a little high, but with everything considered, I guess that’s where it is today. In 2017, I paid $3k for tint and a lot of film.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Just adding in my update on this. I went ahead with the Crystalline all around.
Windshield and moonroof @ 90%
All other windows @ 70%
I went very light with the install as I didn't want it to diminish my night time visibility.

I can definitely feel a difference in how quickly the HVAC cools the car. My afternoon drive northbound at 5pm has gone from an uncomfortable drive (AC set to 72 auto) due to the sunloading on me to very pleasent (AC setting of 78 auto). The tint reduces the feel of the heat considerably and if ~$1k is a budget for tint, I would recommend it.

Pros - The solar load is greatly reduced and the interior gains heat slower. It also feels like the interior isn't as heat soaked, but that could just be me. I haven't put my Holden sunshades back in yet, but will soon.
I haven't noticed any negative side effects on the lighting or cooling logic when things are set to auto.

Cons - Has the annoying rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses. I specifically asked about this and was told it wouldn't happen. Even when looking at the tint before installation it didn't have this. After the install with strong light the timt rainbows in patterns that, to me, mimic the stress introduced when installed.
Introduces a lot of glare. The rear window is pretty bad due to the heating strips adding texture.

I will post up some pictures when time allows. I hope to capture the good and bad aspects so everyone can make an informed decision.

Wow, that's a great set of options you're looking at. It definitely sounds like you're doing your research! I've heard about Crystalline, but the range of snapshades.com is more suitable for my needs and budget. Also, if you're looking for a way to keep your car cool and protect your little one from the sun, you should check out this link: Baby Car Sunshades Landing. They make special sunshades that fit over the windows, to keep your car comfortable and your baby safe from the sun's UV rays. Good luck with your hunt for the right installer - make sure you check reviews and ask around for recommendations.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.