Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not quite on-topic, but I can remember being in midtown NYC a few years back, asked a hotel doorman where I could find the best NYC pizza in the area. He gave me directions, I eventually found the place, packed with people (including a few cops), so I figured it must be pretty good. It was decent, but I didn't think that it was anything"crazy good" or whatever. Probably comparable to a good pizza place anywhere else. It was a mild let-down after hearing so much about "NYC pie" over the years*...

Unfortunately, my current location is a pizza wasteland - the only place that we liked closed up shop months ago... :(

*Same thing that I felt in Chicago when trying a Chicago hot dog with the peppers, etc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In general, I am not impressed by pizza around the DC area. Like other stated, some of the best I've ever had did come from the Philly area.

But there are some decent choices. Paisano's Pizza is a local chain. No shops on my side of the county, but fortunately, close enough to where I work so I can pick something up on the way home. Next, I never got a chance to try it, but I've heard from many people that Wiseguy Pizza is the best hands down. Only problem is that they only have 4 locations - 3 of which are in DC. What sucked for me was one of those locations opened across the street from where I used to work just after I was fired from that job! :bangheadonwall: But, my current favorite - an unusual choice - comes from a food truck! DC Slices! Was a weekly staple for lunch -- but again their routes come nowhere close to me.

So far, I'm not surprised at all that no response has included any of the big chains.

In pittsburgh a friend of mine puts together a “pizza power tour”. We meet up in a parking lot. Get pizza and all have 1-2 slices then get in our cars and drive to another parking lot and get more pizza. 4-5 stops then ice cream at the end. Most good some great. Some horrible. Started with about 20 people and last year had near 200 id bet.

Now that's something I'd like to do!

Is there a designated "medic" with a caseload of anti-acids? :grin

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Haven't been to San Diego in awhile, but for a number of years, this was my go-to....

Bronx Pizza

Good stuff, the real deal....scoff if you wish, but it's GOOD!

Artichoke, Spinach Ricotta, Tomato Garlic, no meat needed....about ready to hit the road and go get some! Next trip, maybe later this year, after SEMA!

Equal is another SD pie shop, Pizzeria Luigi - "Luigi" first worked at Bronx, basically a copycat operation. Featured on TripleD.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
No great pizza here but when I'm in a different part of the country, I check the One Bite pizza app. The recommendations are usually good.

I really miss a good NY pizza.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The best pizza I’ve found in the Los Angeles area is Casa Bianca on Colorado Blvd.
Grew up in the Midwest and we’ve been here 30+ years and had thought that LA was a pizza wasteland until someone took us here.

If you live in the LA region it is worth the drive. The sauce and the crust are spot on!

Reactions: gbro18

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yep, I have found no good bakeries here either.......:frown
Anthony’s coal fired pizza might be ok there. They’re from up here & started the restaurant because all the pizza sucked down there. They attempt to overcome the climate limitation by baking in an 800 degree F coal oven. Dan Marino pics litter the walls. I like the one up here, may be worth a shot down there.

https://acfp.com/the-oven/

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Anthony’s coal fired pizza might be ok there. They’re from up here & started the restaurant because all the pizza sucked down there. They attempt to overcome the climate limitation by baking in an 800 degree F coal oven. Dan Marino pics litter the walls. I like the one up here, may be worth a shot down there.

https://acfp.com/the-oven/
I have ate there several times, my wife likes it, me not so much.

The first pizza I ordered at Athony's must have been a fluke, the bottom was covered with black soot, and tasted terrible. They replaced it while we were there, but literally left a bad taste in my mouth. Been there several times since and was OK....

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have ate there several times, my wife likes it, me not so much.

The first pizza I ordered at Athony's must have been a fluke, the bottom was covered with black soot, and tasted terrible. They replaced it while we were there, but literally left a bad taste in my mouth. Been there several times since and was OK....
the wings cooked in that oven are awesome!!

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dino's Pizzeria in Mankato, MN is one of the best around these parts. Unique options, fresh ingredients, new york style pizzeria. Try the foghorn leghorn!

Aside from that, I make homeade pizza from scratch at home, on the stone on the grill. My favorites are buffalo chicken or BBQ chicken.

Can't get enough pizza. I always joke that you can put "anything" on pizza and it will be good!! Hah!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
the wings cooked in that oven are awesome!!
Yes, I agree, our last visit was Mothers Day this year, and my son ordered a bunch of wings, and they were perfect....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Haven't been to San Diego in awhile, but for a number of years, this was my go-to....

Bronx Pizza

Good stuff, the real deal....scoff if you wish, but it's GOOD!

Artichoke, Spinach Ricotta, Tomato Garlic, no meat needed....about ready to hit the road and go get some! Next trip, maybe later this year, after SEMA!

Equal is another SD pie shop, Pizzeria Luigi - "Luigi" first worked at Bronx, basically a copycat operation. Featured on TripleD.
I'm heading to SD in less than a month, and these are definitely going on my list.

If you're back in SD anytime soon, grab wings at Phileas Fogg's. They were named best wings in SD for a few years running, and they're some of the best I've had!

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Short story > long, hopefully entertaining

Here's a favorite pizza "sea story" from my past - we lived most of my Navy career in San Diego. In 1977, a new pizza joint opened in a small commercial center, hidden behind a gas station, in La Mesa, a city/community adjacent to San Diego. The name was intriguing, since I have Chicago roots via my mother, and my dad meeting her there during WWII, when he was in the Navy--the name was Chicago Brothers Pizza (sadly no longer in business). Not a chain, a one-store deal. Deep dish, just like I remembered in past times in Chicago, although I had only been, to that point, to Pizza Uno or Pizza Due, the originals in the area near the Chicago Cubs ball park, not the "chain" version, which as franchised from the original Uno's.

In 1981, I was transferring from an instructor assignment AND changing specialty, so I ended up at Great Lakes Navy base, north of Chicago, for 6 months as a student myself, 10 years into my career. Before I left San Diego, I had asked the "brothers" where they learned to make their deep dish pizza, and the answer was Lou Malnati's....so, when I got to Chicago, I made sure to check out LM - I went to the main location in Lincolnwood. Sure enough, everything as far as the product was the same, and it has become my go-to for deep dish pie whenever I've been in Chicago since. By the way, they were not really brothers, but 3 unrelated Jewish guys with an entrepenurial spirit that wanted to live the beach life--or, at least, didn't want to raise families in cold & windy Chicago.

After that 6 months of Navy school in 1981, I ended up on a ship back in San Diego. I don't recall if I was in Chicago in the interim, but in 1985, I was on leave, transferring from that ship to another assignment, so my wife & I made a trip that took us cross-country, including some places we had agreed to go, including to visit relatives in Nebraska & Missouri. We were actually headed to the June 1985 NASCAR race at Michigan, had already purchased the tickets, the trip was all planned. We took a circuitous path to get there, passing through Janesville WI to tour the GM assembly plant, where the J-car was being built at the time (ended up buying another one after that, which is another story), but the timing of our travels put us in Chicago at lunchtime, by design, and we went to Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood....stick with me, there's a twist coming....we got seated in what was the main dining room, and so everyone understands, LM's, at the time, had a sports motif--focus on football, baseball & basketball, with memorabilia such as jerseys from various players like "Sweetness" - Walter Payton #34, Brian Piccolo, Gale Sayers and many others.

Now, if you are old enough to remember the history, as far as Major League Baseball, the Chicago Cubs almost made it to the World Series the previous year--the only thing that stood in their way was a pesky little team, the San Diego Padres, featuring Tony Gwynn, Steve Garvey (previously of the LA Dodgers), Dave Winfield, and others (I could be wrong about Winfield still being there in 84)....so, when we arrived at the restaurant and got seated, while looking around, we noticed an interesting display in one corner of the room, where 2 or 3 corners had sports display cases. In this particular corner, the display was pretty direct--it consisted of a hook in the ceiling, which had a rope attached, and at the other end was a noose, with a friar (as in Friar Tuck from TV lore - Robin Hood) - making it clear how unhappy they were with the San Diego Padres. We did not DARE let it be known that we were fron San Diego, and the meal was great, thankfully! Just wish I had a photo!

True story!

Postscript: I have since learned that when the Chicago Brothers pizza enterprise was ended (I don't know any details) two of the three original partners, David Levy and Barry Robbins, continued in the food business, and today there is a large deli-restaurant near the Del Mar race track in Del Mar CA, called Milton's...which I believe is an homage to David's father. Milton's is also a nationwide brand that has made a number of products over the years, mainly baked breads and snack crackers & chips that are in grocery or other specialty food stores, or membership stores like CostCo or Sams Club. Wish I could meet up with David & Barry just to say hello and tell them of the experience I described at Lou Malnati's in 1985!

Maybe on my next trip to San Diego I'll be able to meet up with one or both of the original "brothers", hopefully later this year., nearly 40 years later...my previous posting about Bronx Pizza (obviously NY-style thin crust) stands, as I'm a fan of both. Heck, I even tolerate pineapple on pizza!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'd normally agree but the last time I had a pizza from Lou's it was disappointing. Maybe its just the one by The Loop?

Must have been the location. Lou’s is top notch.

If you’re in suburbia try Al’s pizza in Warrenville. Better than Lou’s imo. Cash only pizza and bar. Let me know when you’re there. First drink is on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts