Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting a vibration on my left front ever since I bought the car (used). I figured it was a tire, so I had it rebalanced, when that didn't fix it I threw a gopro on the car and took a video to see what I could see. What I found was that the wheel was wobbling, but it wasn't loose. (photos.app.goo.gl/VnzU4zfVU4B3897U9) I assumed it was the wheel so I bought a new one (wanted a spare anyways) and had it installed when I got new tires. No change. I've been living with it for a while but finally yesterday I tore into it again.
After jacking the car up and spinning the wheel I could tell it was doing the same thing as the old wheel. I do have spacers on the front so i inspected it thoroughly, but it looks perfectly fine, it fits perfect with no play at all. I took it off, as well as the rotors so I was down to just the hub. I put the wheel back on and it still wobbled. To make double sure it wasn't that wheel I put the spare on, and then just the rotor, all did the same thing.
So in conclusion I think it has to be a bent hub, which seems crazy.

Curious to see if anyone has thoughts on this or had something similar happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When the wheel was rebalanced, if it was bent it would have shown up then. Check the other 3 wheels. Common the rotate the impact wheel to the back. It’s pretty common an impact strong enough the bend the hub it usually takes out the bearing too. This time it just bent it. It’s a bolt on part, easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
If you have a damaged hub you will hear it in the hub assembly. They are tested for curb impact / internal damage. IF you have ever heard a bad wheel bearing before, it will generally hum.

However, instead of replacing the hub, put a dial on it for the wheel flange area to check.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the wheel was rebalanced, if it was bent it would have shown up then. Check the other 3 wheels. Common the rotate the impact wheel to the back. It’s pretty common an impact strong enough the bend the hub it usually takes out the bearing too. This time it just bent it. It’s a bolt on part, easy to do.
Well the wheel couldn't have been rotated back since they're different sizes, but it could have been replaced or something.
But yeah it looks like I can get a whole hub assembly off ebay for 80 bucks.

If you have a damaged hub you will hear it in the hub assembly. They are tested for curb impact / internal damage. IF you have ever heard a bad wheel bearing before, it will generally hum.

However, instead of replacing the hub, put a dial on it for the wheel flange area to check.
I've heard bad bearings before, it doesn't sound like that, it isn't making any noise at all that I can tell.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Before you go buying parts, why not test the hub for run out first? :unsure:

It is quite easy to do and there are lots of online tutorials for doing so if you've never done it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You can also just swap front wheels to see if the wobble follows the wheel, in case you don't have the tools for checking runout.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Tie rods and control arms? Lift front on both sides and jimmy front&back, top&bottom.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you go buying parts, why not test the hub for run out first? :unsure:

It is quite easy to do and there are lots of online tutorials for doing so if you've never done it.
I would like to test it, but honestly the tool costs about as much as the part does... I'm thinking it's more likely that I would be wasting money on the tool than on the part.

I'm think that if you hit something hard enough to bend a Hub, the Wheel would have been destroyed!
Yeah I imagine it must have been pretty bad, but that was before I got the car, so I don't know what happened. Apparently it can get tweaked from overtightening as well.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts

Damn, I learned more about this topic from your post than I've learned in the nearly four years of owning my SS —two of these! 👍

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Have you been able to spin the bare hub and look at from the front or back and tell if it's warped? If you can make some kind of arm to hold a pencil next to the hub as you spin it you might be able to tell also. Good luck.

Reactions: Yoram

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you looked behind the brake rotor hat that mates to the hub flange? Is there any dirt/rust or corrosion between the two surfaces, that could be causing the wobble?

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
WOW!!!!

2 posts in near 7 years,,, @Pursuit !!!!!

I guess this will be the MOST BELATED,, Welcome to the SS Forums,,,, like,,, EVER!!!

ES

·
Registered
3 Posts
:D Thanks for the welcome! I'm over on the New Caprice forum. Been following this group.... Maybe I'm shy...

Maurice

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Did the OP find the problem? Hope so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really unfortunately, probably should've listened to good2go 😕😅
I haven't had time to do any more investigating since I put the car back together. However the only thing that hasn't been changed that I can think of is the brake rotor. My brakes are gone anyways so I have new rotors and pads to put on, so maybe I'll get lucky and that'll fix it.

However another thing to keep in mind is that because of the vibration the tire has worn very unevenly, so maybe the hub did fix it but i can't tell because of the tire... i dunno

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts
Dang, the level of expertise on this forum is usually pretty good.
BTW, that was a great video you did during your test drive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts