Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The J pipe clamps on either side can be loosened and the J pipes moved to lengthen or shorten them. This is what changes the resonant/drone frequency. The two Solo forum members, Steve and Vince, if I recall correctly, advised me that the factory setting is 9 1/4" in length, from the elbow to the clamp. With my Solo catback install, I get a whopping drone @ 1000-1250 rpm. Unfortunately, 80% of my driving is on rural and semi-rural roads, going 30-50 mph, ultimately in 5th and 6th gears, so it seems that, most of the time, I'm right in that rpm band. Oh well, it is what it is. There is no drone at higher-than-1250 rpms.

Have you adjusted those J-Pipes at all? Just because the 9 1/4" is where they come to you from the factory, doesn't mean that position is best for your vehicle. Adjust the pipes in 1/2" increments and fine tune them. I have zero drone in my car. I started with the Axle backs, Went to the catback, now I have the catback and Kooks LT headers. No drone in all three cases.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I bought this system a couple months ago but am waiting for spring to install. I do have a couple questions though...

The claim is that the J pipes are adjustable to eliminate drone. How exactly do they adjust? Mine didn't come with any instructions.

Also, I noticed that the piece that actually has the tips on each pipe is not welded on and easily slips off. I guess this makes sense for fine tuning the fitment but what keeps them from flying off aside from hopes and dreams? Two bands came with it but none of the illustrations show where to put them and I had assumed they clamped the pipes where it connects to the factory exhaust. I'll probably buy two lap bands to keep them on.

Lastly, how is the drone? Some have said its not bad or there is none but I just saw someone in another thread who just installed his and said there was drone. Just scratching my head as to the discrepancy. I'd prefer to have as little drone as possible (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

Everything on the axle backs is clamped which gives you adjustability. The first portion clamps back into place with your stock clamps from the factory that you will be removing from the stock mufflers. The J-pipes are already shipped with the band clamps in place if I recall correctly. The other two clamps you received are for clamping the tips on the system. The tips aren't welded into place which again, adds adjustability.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought this system a couple months ago but am waiting for spring to install. I do have a couple questions though...

The claim is that the J pipes are adjustable to eliminate drone. How exactly do they adjust? Mine didn't come with any instructions.

Also, I noticed that the piece that actually has the tips on each pipe is not welded on and easily slips off. I guess this makes sense for fine tuning the fitment but what keeps them from flying off aside from hopes and dreams? Two bands came with it but none of the illustrations show where to put them and I had assumed they clamped the pipes where it connects to the factory exhaust. I'll probably buy two lap bands to keep them on.

Lastly, how is the drone? Some have said its not bad or there is none but I just saw someone in another thread who just installed his and said there was drone. Just scratching my head as to the discrepancy. I'd prefer to have as little drone as possible (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

Everything on the axle backs is clamped which gives you adjustability. The first portion clamps back into place with your stock clamps from the factory that you will be removing from the stock mufflers. The J-pipes are already shipped with the band clamps in place if I recall correctly. The other two clamps you received are for clamping the tips on the system. The tips aren't welded into place which again, adds adjustability.
Oh ok thanks. Good to know.

And yes the J pipes have the band clamps in place, one on each upper part and each lower part. I'm surprised the clamps that are supposed to hold the tips in place don't have lap joints but I guess they know what they are doing. I'm glad that most seem to have no drone after adjusting, thank God.

Also, were there supposed to be some kind of gaskets included? The G8 installation directions on Solo's website talk about gaskets but there were no gaskets in mine. There was no mention of gaskets in the details of the SS kit whereas the G8 kit lists them included...so it seems there are no gaskets.

Seems strange that there's that difference between the two since they are practically the same.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Regarding adjusting the J pipes, Brother Treytaw, no I haven't. It's been cold up here the past couple of months and I just haven't been enthused to crawl under the car and check out the exact length. Perhaps in April or May. So you have no drone @ 1000-1250 rpm? That would be epic if I could lose it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Install took less than an hour. no jacking up the car.
A 3/8" 6-point socket for the main clamp and a 9/16" socket and box wrench for the solo supplied clamps is all the tools required.

Sounds great with no Drone!
(didn't need to adjust the j-pipe, used factory setting)

The only thing I would critique is the take-off for the J-pipe could have been welded on slightly higher to hide it from the rear view better.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have deleted the resonator and secondary cat. If I run these axel back will I have any issues?
I tried to run the Solo Axlebacks with ARH headers and X pipe (no cats), and it was stupid loud...not good sounding, just annoying loud. It also had multiple drone frequencies. So please report back on your findings, it will be interesting to see the result!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried to run the Solo Axlebacks with ARH headers and X pipe (no cats), and it was stupid loud...not good sounding, just annoying loud. It also had multiple drone frequencies. So please report back on your findings, it will be interesting to see the result!
Thank you for the heads up. Will do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ordered my Axle Back kit direct from Solo on Thursday of last week and it arrived today, Super fast!! Cant wait to get it put on within the next week or so

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I ordered my Axle Back kit direct from Solo on Thursday of last week and it arrived today, Super fast!! Cant wait to get it put on within the next week or so

Silver Surfer should get a commission from Solo for this thread. Had mine put on a few days ago and it sounds amazing. There is a bit too much cracking and popping on decel but I might eventually tune that out a bit.

I wanted a deeper tone and the Solo Performance axle back is perfect for that. Startups are spot on. At highway speeds, it's barely louder than stock. Just perfect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great video/thread thanks! I've been debating these!

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,340 Posts
Solo products are Top Shelf in Design and fitment and we are proud to be a authorized dealer and installer

·
Supporting Vendor
119 Posts
Thanks so much for all of the positive feedback. We are happy to have you all as part of the Solo family! If anyone has any questions or wanted to place an order, you can reach me 7 days a week at 516-655-9002.

Steve

·
Registered
382 Posts
Would anyone happen to know the dB rating after adding the Solo axleback? NCM Motorsports Park has a strict 105dB limit measured 50ft from the car. I honestly don't think it's THAT loud, but everyone hears things differently. 2015, Solo axleback, mid muffler delete, and still have all 4 cats. I'd hate to get black flagged. I'll probably just slap the stock mufflers back on.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts