Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try to make a more comprehensive sound clip comparison. As much as I like to see videos of other peoples' cars on youtube, without a control parameter, it is hard to tell how much the new setup changes things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8guOwNOFpU

·
Registered
89 Posts
What a great at job you did on this. Thanks!!! The difference was very apparent and really enjoyable to watch/listen to....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great video, I think this is the best comparison video I've seen. I think the Solo kit is way louder on acceleration, didn't seem to hear that in the video.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Best comparison video as of yet. Nicely done!

Reactions: Silver Surfer

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Nice! Glad you are pleased with them. I got my Solo Catback on last night after wasting 1hr finding O2 plugs...ended up with M18 oil drain plugs lol...works and fits perfect. Hard for me to tell whether it's louder or not. Running without any mufflers for 5 days has ruined me due to the extremely loud droning

Reactions: Silver Surfer

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Glad you are pleased with them. I got my Solo Catback on last night after wasting 1hr finding O2 plugs...ended up with M18 oil drain plugs lol...works and fits perfect. Hard for me to tell whether it's louder or not. Running without any mufflers for 5 days has ruined me due to the extremely loud droning
Yes I do love them! You gotta a great bday present!

Reactions: Treytaw

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
nice. is this just a bolt on system? Any pics from underneath?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, loosen the OEM band clamp bolts and remove the OEM mufflers from the rubber grommet hangers. You re-use the OEM band clamps when installing the Solo axle back kit. I don't have any pics. Factory mufflers are huge and heavy too. Solo kit is small and lightweight.

Here is you can the kit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The solo sounds great but does it increase hp and torque if so by how much?
Just the axle-back, no. The full cat-back should pick up between 5-10 HP due to the elimination of the secondary cats.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Just the axle-back, no. The full cat-back should pick up between 5-10 HP due to the elimination of the secondary cats.
Is that Legal?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was somewhat concerned myself after I stored away my factory exhaust, noting the large grapefruit-sized secondary catcons. Based on size alone, the ones up front should be doing >90% of the work. Recall that I have the Solo catback system, with the un-balanced, 14" center muffler on my jitney. To me, it is very loud.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, loosen the OEM band clamp bolts and remove the OEM mufflers from the rubber grommet hangers. You re-use the OEM band clamps when installing the Solo axle back kit. I don't have any pics. Factory mufflers are huge and heavy too. Solo kit is small and lightweight.

Here is you can the kit.
I bought this system a couple months ago but am waiting for spring to install. I do have a couple questions though...

The claim is that the J pipes are adjustable to eliminate drone. How exactly do they adjust? Mine didn't come with any instructions.

Also, I noticed that the piece that actually has the tips on each pipe is not welded on and easily slips off. I guess this makes sense for fine tuning the fitment but what keeps them from flying off aside from hopes and dreams? Two bands came with it but none of the illustrations show where to put them and I had assumed they clamped the pipes where it connects to the factory exhaust. I'll probably buy two lap bands to keep them on.

Lastly, how is the drone? Some have said its not bad or there is none but I just saw someone in another thread who just installed his and said there was drone. Just scratching my head as to the discrepancy. I'd prefer to have as little drone as possible (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The J pipe clamps on either side can be loosened and the J pipes moved to lengthen or shorten them. This is what changes the resonant/drone frequency. The two Solo forum members, Steve and Vince, if I recall correctly, advised me that the factory setting is 9 1/4" in length, from the elbow to the clamp. With my Solo catback install, I get a whopping drone @ 1000-1250 rpm. Unfortunately, 80% of my driving is on rural and semi-rural roads, going 30-50 mph, ultimately in 5th and 6th gears, so it seems that, most of the time, I'm right in that rpm band. Oh well, it is what it is. There is no drone at higher-than-1250 rpms.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts